Brenton Cox dismissed from Gators

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The average was probably close to 280 even then when players were a little smaller for their position.....I could throw out names like Howard, Easley, Floyd, Hunter too.....the point is we had 4 guys who had some ass behind them and could stick their hand in the dirt and not get blown away on running plays....hell even McCray who was a true LB/DE could and did play some in a 4 man front ....unless you have 2 or 3 true stud DT/NT types you can line up together this 3 man with a stand up DE never works.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I don’t care where we line him up but I’d love to see 44 get some snaps . At the very least he will hit somebody . Watching him decleat the mutt on kick return was beautiful .
Walter White GIF by Breaking Bad

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t care where we line him up but I’d love to see 44 get some snaps . At the very least he will hit somebody . Watching him decleat the mutt on kick return was beautiful .
Every time I see Pyburn on the field he is in that mode of just wanting to find someone and destroy them. Obviously a smart kid I can see him contributing and playing discipline football.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Can’t get to the QB, doesn’t “set the edge,” can’t cover. 5* filler, all “could” but never did. Unless he dazzles at the combine I’d expect him to make a practice squad as a free agent for 2-3 years then off to whatever. I wish him well, but that’s what I see.

I agree with everything you said.
His only chance is if he turns his motor on completely. We’ve all seen plays where Cox is simply going through the motions and it makes me wonder if he is playing really hard at all.
Sometimes selfish players like Cox suddenly find a new gear when they are at the career crossroads.
I doubt this will happen but it’s at least possible.

I am just glad that he’s gone because for me he represented everything wrong with the program.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
The timing of this is suggestive of the possibility of a heated lockerroom over the way the defense is being run.
and/or the complete ineptness of the offensive playcalling resulting in lost opportunity. Example the last possession of the first half. Who knows? IMO the only actual gameday bright spots of yet another dismal season has been the willingness of this team to not quit coupled with more discipline at the LOS resulting in less penalties. No reason to expect anything better will come of addition by subtraction.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Here's a third hand rumor I heard this morning that I'll never be able to confirm: The story is Cox had a physical altercation with a coach; no further details. The same source claimed Cox was "highly disliked" by a lot of the other players. FWIW.......

The comment Dean tweeted might mean he's one of the few who is friends with Cox. They both played HS ball in Henry Co. Ga. around the same and have probably known each other a long time.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is what happens when you change coaches every time you mail in a new ballot. Lack of continuity and respect.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
He reminds me of Cece Jefferson. An absolute beast in high school and could have been really good at a smaller school, but just not SEC material.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
He reminds me of Cece Jefferson. An absolute beast in high school and could have been really good at a smaller school, but just not SEC material.

To be fair, CeCeJ was rarely played at his natural position under either staff. He was never a DT and that’s what he was asked to do. Still a bust relative to star rating. Just misused.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is what happens when you change coaches every time you mail in a new ballot. Lack of continuity and respect.
Yep. Shoulda never fired maclewain. Been sayin it for years

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.