Buddy Ryan dead at 82

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only reason why the '85 Bears were so good defensively was because of Buddy Ryan. He was an excellent coach. RIP.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If people pass in 3's.....who is next in the sports world?

What a sad week, Summitt and Ryan in sports, Stanley and McCullough in music........

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The only reason why the '85 Bears were so good defensively was because of Buddy Ryan. He was an excellent coach. RIP.

He called the schemes, naming the 46 defense after the number worn by strong safety Doug Plank, a head hunter of a SS who would line up on the line of scrimmage. The objective was to disrupt the line of scrimmage, stuff the run and dare teams to beat you through the air. But it was Jim Finks who drafted the talent that made it all possible. That was probably the best defense the NFL has seen, that season and the following one.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
He called the schemes, naming the 46 defense after the number worn by strong safety Doug Plank, a head hunter of a SS who would line up on the line of scrimmage. The objective was to disrupt the line of scrimmage, stuff the run and dare teams to beat you through the air. But it was Jim Finks who drafted the talent that made it all possible. That was probably the best defense the NFL has seen, that season and the following one.
Wilbur being part of that talent. They were disruptive to say the least. Then again their QB was sort of disruptive too.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry to see you depart, "Old School" RIP.

True origin of the phrase "saved by the bell".....
One night at the cemetery, back in the 1800s when medical examiners weren't very good, the
night watchman swore he'd heard muffled screaming. The next morning, upon searching, they
found a fresh grave where the covering soil showed unusual cracks, like vibration would cause.
They exhumed the casket, looked inside and found bloody scratches along the inside of the lid. Someone was buried alive... probably he came out of a coma, buried alive.

After this news blanketed the region. wealthy families ordered caskets with an attached metal
rod sticking up with a bell on it. A cord extended down through a hole in the lid to the interior
of the casket. Then, the maybe un-deceased could pull on the string-bar and ring that bell,
so he could be dug up and thereby be "saved by the bell".

... and I always thought that phrase originated over a boxing reference.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wilbur being part of that talent. They were disruptive to say the least. Then again their QB was sort of disruptive too.

BOOM!

wilber-marshall-o.gif

1050x591

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Man, that takes me back. How the heck any of those guys, much less ALL OF THEM, thought that song and video was a good idea I'll never know...

It was outlandish and yet that was one outlandish cast of characters. They really believed no one could beat them.

Except Marino on Monday night. :facepalm: Ditka and Ryan had to be separated in the lockerroom in Miami at halftime after Ryan told Da Coach his offense sucked.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was outlandish and yet that was one outlandish cast of characters. They really believed no one could beat them.

Except Marino on Monday night. :facepalm: Ditka and Ryan had to be separated in the lockerroom in Miami at halftime after Ryan told the Da Coach his offense sucked.

The Bears 46 defense of that era was the best defense I ever watched - better than the Viking, Cowboy and Steeler defenses of the '70s and better than any defense I've watched since. It was dominant. And violent.

Lawrence Taylor was the most dominant player I've ever watched, also of that era (I have only vague memories of Dick Butkus and Chuck Bednarik was before my time). It was amazing to watch teams scheme their entire offensive game plans around LT and have him dominate and create all kinds of havoc anyway.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Bears 46 defense of that era was the best defense I ever watched - better than the Viking, Cowboy and Steeler defenses of the '70s and better than any defense I've watched since. It was dominant. And violent.

Lawrence Taylor was the most dominant player I've ever watched, also of that era (I have only vague memories of Dick Butkus and Chuck Bednarik was before my time). It was amazing to watch teams scheme their entire offensive game plans around LT and have him dominate and create all kinds of havoc anyway.

How the 46 looked from the booth, the line stacked with people.

hqdefault.jpg

LT was the single most disruptive player I ever saw. He could take over games and teams had to special scheme him as they had never done a defensive player. That LT-led Giants team that followed the Bears in '86 was right up there in terms of defensive prowess and overall greatness.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How the 46 looked from the booth, the line stacked with people.

hqdefault.jpg

LT was the single most disruptive player I ever saw. He could take over games and teams had to special scheme him as they had never done a defensive player. That LT-led Giants team that followed the Bears in '86 was right up there in terms of defensive prowess and overall greatness.

You're right, that Giants' defense was rock-ribbed.

Looking at that photo you posted - look at the corner. He's in press man coverage and all by his lonesome. I guess that's why nobody runs that defense today. With the way they've changed the rules to favor scoring and the passing game, corners can't press the way they used to and the receiver would run right by him. If they cheat the safety over, that compromises run support. Oh, well. A different era.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
RIP. The 30 for 30 on the Bears really shed a nice light on Ryan and the way his players respected him.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're right, that Giants' defense was rock-ribbed.

Looking at that photo you posted - look at the corner. He's in press man coverage and all by his lonesome. I guess that's why nobody runs that defense today. With the way they've changed the rules to favor scoring and the passing game, corners can't press the way they used to and the receiver would run right by him. If they cheat the safety over, that compromises run support. Oh, well. A different era.

Good take. That Bears defense wasn't blessed with great corners. Mike Richardson and Leslie Frazier had decent seasons, Richardson being the better cover guy of the two, but neither was Pro Bowl material (Frazier went down in the SB with a career-ending knee). What it had was terrifically mobile outside backers in Wilson and Marshall and constant pressure from the best front four in the league, made all the better that year by the inclusion of Refrigerator Perry. That allowed the 46 to work. And Ryan loved to confuse with various blitz packages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.