Cam being Cam (Newton)....

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I understand where you're coming from, but I'd guess most commentary/analysts, etc who cover football HAVE indeed played the game - weather in pop warner, junior HS, HS, or college. I'd guess well over 50%, probably closer to 75-90%. I can't stand some of the female's that cover/have convered sports for ESPN (Rachel Nichols, specifically). They literally act like they've "been there, done that". But of course, in this day and age, you can't say sh*t because someone will be offended....
We'll agree to disagree.

As for people getting offended, why is it so hard to understand? It's the world we live in today and will be for a while. If this were 60 years ago, we'd all be living in the world of women in the kitchen and making babies while our fathers beat the shît out of their kids and no one would say anything. Times always change.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's ask this... what if the report was Erin Andrews asking the same question? Would she have gotten the same reply? If so, would that be acceptable since Erin's never played football?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gee, I don't think I'll know what to think about this whole thing until I hear Jamele Hill weigh in.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Let's ask this... what if the report was Erin Andrews asking the same question? Would she have gotten the same reply? If so, would that be acceptable since Erin's never played football?

Again, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

What Cam should have said was, "When you played football, how did your coach teach you to run routes?" Would that have been better?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

She was simply asking Cam his thoughts about the physicality of how Funchess runs his routes -
Perfectly legitimate question and I don't think you need to have "played the game" to have asked the question.

Cam was a doosh in his response - why couldn't he have just said: "Yeah, he gets (insert urban adjective for physicality here) all up in that DB's grill"
And moved on to the next question - and then on to more money from the yogurt company.
Simple...

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I don't like him, but what he said isn't that big of a deal. I think what he was saying is, a lady doesn't play football. And they dont. He was, I think just being silly for that reason. There are, Plenty of things a lady can do and I'm all for it. But I dont think women being the leads on game day sets etc.....most other sports, you have former players or coaches doing it. Women have women's sports to do all of that. There are places they better fit. But not football. Side line reporting, don't have a problem there. But sitting and commentating a sport no lady has ever played.....
I heard he laughed at her. Besides he's paid to be smarter than that at interviews. Women have been in the post game interviews for years. He should know better. It's like some white guy laughing , ( or not) and instead of answering the question, remarking on how surprising or refreshing or ususual it is for an African American to have knowledge of the topic they are all there to discuss. Cam would understand that and have something to say about it.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I don't like him, but what he said isn't that big of a deal. I think what he was saying is, a lady doesn't play football. And they dont. He was, I think just being silly for that reason. There are, Plenty of things a lady can do and I'm all for it. But I dont think women being the leads on game day sets etc.....most other sports, you have former players or coaches doing it. Women have women's sports to do all of that. There are places they better fit. But not football. Side line reporting, don't have a problem there. But sitting and commentating a sport no lady has ever played.....
So because you don't think she should be in that venue, she can't know enough to ask a question or deserve to be treated in a respectful non patronizing or dismissive way? I didn't hear or see this , so I don't know his tone and non verbal factors are over 99% of a communication. Regardless, he should have treated her like a professional and he is paid to give interviews as part of his job. He would hate to be treated that way by someone questioning his ability and capability as a black man to know or understand something. It;s similar to a woman journalist asking a question and being told instead she is pretty, or she is wearing a great dress or shoes, instead of answering her. And then the person who did it, and others an't understand what thebig deal is or why it was offensive, or it was just a joke, so what' the big deal.

Last edited:

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
He should tell them all to kiss his behind and let the chips fall where they will. Sick of the media about everything.
No he shouldn't. It is part of his job. And it is important to have character including treating other humans with respect, at least in public. That has gotten lost lately, but is still a core of civilization and staying human and having a soul, rather than being a sold hearted subspecies..\
And whether you like a particular slant or not, the media are a fundemental part of a democratic functioning socilety's checks and balances. Without media that is free to print opinion and free to do fact based investigation, and free to not be monopolies, you are left with a dictatorship and no rights.

If Cam doesn't want to be civil in interviews , he needs to negotiate with his employer- although since he's the QB,good luck with that as he is the face of the franchise.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't piss on Cam if he were on fire, that said this is huge problem with our country today. Your not allowed to say anything without some pussy getting offended, and then their forced to apologize. Cam saying that is by far the best thing that will ever happen to help that reporters career. I'd respect Cam a lot more if he told them all to go **** themselves at the next press conference.
Yeah, this sounds like what blacks heard until the civil rights marches eventually led to some changes. I was a kid, but I read and heard similar remarks from the biggots.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, this sounds like what blacks heard until the civil rights marches eventually led to some changes. I was a kid, but I read and heard similar remarks from the biggots.
Yeah, I would have loved her to reply "Like it's funny watching a black guy play QB?".

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
We'll agree to disagree.

As for people getting offended, why is it so hard to understand? It's the world we live in today and will be for a while. If this were 60 years ago, we'd all be living in the world of women in the kitchen and making babies while our fathers beat the shît out of their kids and no one would say anything. Times always change.
My mom did all the cooking all the baby making and all the a$$ whipping and there wasn't A damn thing wrong with it.

Durty's Toe

drunk AF
Sep 2, 2017
Cam is such a fungicidal spray can, I mean look at all the smart chicks on this board, obviously women understand football.The way that guy dismisses women as sports-dumb is crazy, amirite? He’s a total douche and a vagina. Glad to be on a sport board that does’n’t ever disparage women!!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cam is such a fungicidal spray can, I mean look at all the smart chicks on this board, obviously women understand football.The way that guy dismisses women as sports-dumb is crazy, amirite? He’s a total douche and a vagina. Glad to be on a sport board that does’n’t ever disparage women!!

Stick around a while.:grin:

Al Bundy.jpg

Jun 2, 2015
Newton's a douche bag, and the reporter had a right to be offended by his comment. She deserves, and should get, and apology from him.

On the other hand, the millions of other self-righteous, virtue-signaling a-holes out there with their faux indignation talking about this like it was the Kennedy assassination, need to STFU.

I disagree. I see nothing wrong with what he said. Most (certainly the majority) females know nothing about routes or the intricacies of football People have simply gotten too sensitive. If we say the wrong thing or are not politically correct, someone may get their little feelings hurt. There are bigger and better things in life to get upset about, but this definitely is not one of them. BTW, I am a female and a pretty old one at that.

Durty's Toe

drunk AF
Sep 2, 2017
I disagree. I see nothing wrong with what he said. Most (certainly the majority) females know nothing about routes or the intricacies of football People have simply gotten too sensitive. If we say the wrong thing or are not politically correct, someone may get their little feelings hurt. There are bigger and better things in life to get upset about, but this definitely is not one of them. BTW, I am a female and a pretty old one at that.

Daycane— Agree with you. Nothing unusual or off-putting about Cam’s remarks. He probably shouldn’t have said it to a football-savvy female reporter, but we all know his social conversations with women revolve around fashion. He does know how to wear an outfit..

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014

My point exactly...was nothing against any lady personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.