Can the run game carry us?

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Very impressed with the yards on the ground vs a UGA defense that was set up to stop us on the ground.

the passing game will never be as consistent as it was when Grier got hot. so now I understand why Mac was emphasizing the run game: it's not just a matter of balance. the run game has to be the bedrock of the offense moving forward - if it can.

the call against cronk was outrageous.

nice to see him and scarlett emerging again. the timing is perfect.

KT had a chip on his shoulder today. he should keep it there the rest of the season. looked like his dad at times on those cuts. shake and bake jr.

bottom line: Mac is depending on these guys and the OL to make up the yards we likely won't be getting thru the air. can they deliver?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No. Treon will need to continue to hit big plays down the field. The offensive line just is not playing well enough to run the ball down people's throats consistently.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
GatorJ;n305272 said:
No. Treon will need to continue to hit big plays down the field. The offensive line just is not playing well enough to run the ball down people's throats consistently.

I'd like to think they'll be able to move Vandy and USCe around and help us dominate those games. FSU and the SEC Championship game, if we get there, will be a different story entirely and like you say, Harris will have to game manage and hit the big play.

But who knows? Mac and the boys have surprised me and everyone else. I heard someone saying that JS finally found his groove during the run-up to LSU. Maybe Mac has one more magic act waiting for Atlanta.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. It'll work until we play FSU and the Western Champ. They've got to come up with a way to probably roll him out more regardless with what Law says.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think a limited pass attack will be enough to win, if we are efficient and don't turn the ball over. We play Vandy, USCe, somebody, and FSU. I think the run game and defense can carry us with limited passing contributions. Treon will need to improve enough to at least make a check down if we hope to compete in the SEC Championship game.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
alcoholica;n305280 said:
I think a limited pass attack will be enough to win, if we are efficient and don't turn the ball over. We play Vandy, USCe, somebody, and FSU. I think the run game and defense can carry us with limited passing contributions. Treon will need to improve enough to at least make a check down if we hope to compete in the SEC Championship game.

the run game will open up if treon can start hitting short/intermediate patterns more and force teams to back off a bit. i hate that his height issue takes away all the patterns over the middle of the field. powell has been invisible since the qb switch. LBs are just walking up waiting to plug gaps or blitz, not defend against the pass. KT's footwork getting out of tackles for loss made lots of yards tonite.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Scarlett finally had his coming out party, nearly broke 100.

McGee was awful quiet today. A QB like Treon needs a TE to be a good safe outlet.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n305279 said:
Yep. It'll work until we play FSU and the Western Champ. They've got to come up with a way to probably roll him out more regardless with what Law says.
Law didn't say we won't roll him out. We do roll him out. Law said we won't switch to a running QB based option. We just aren't going to adopt an entirely new offense. Treon just isn't a drop back pro-style QB.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
gardnerwebbgator;n305289 said:

McGee was awful quiet today. A QB like Treon needs a TE to be a good safe outlet.

he did catch a big first down on one of treon's roll outs. and lewis had a big gain. but other than that the TEs were pretty quiet. they've been so money for our offense this year, Mac has GOT to find a way to get them in sync with what treon is able to do.

and maybe it's not the TEs. maybe treon isn't seeing or keying on their routes. gonna have to rewatch the game with an eye on this issue.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Yes! The running game can carry us, but only if we play jawja every game. Can anyone explain why jawja is the only team we run well against?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;305290 said:
Law didn't say we won't roll him out. We do roll him out. Law said we won't switch to a running QB based option.

Your avatar is throwing me off.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ancient Reptile;n305298 said:
Yes! The running game can carry us, but only if we play jawja every game. Can anyone explain why jawja is the only team we run well against?

12998049.jpg

The good news is he seems to be a fixture at Ugly.

The bad news is he was Geoff Collins' mentor.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The running game today was encouraging and I think Scarlett will get more touches from now on. The running game won't be good enough to carry our offense but should help maintain some sort of balance.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Law98gator;n305290 said:
Law didn't say we won't roll him out. We do roll him out. Law said we won't switch to a running QB based option. We just aren't going to adopt an entirely new offense. Treon just isn't a drop back pro-style QB.

Not only that, but Treon is all we got. It us clear from watching the staff has told him to avoid contact at all costs. They don't want him getting hurt. So I don't see them calling a lot of plays where he is running the ball. They will do it just enough to keep defenses thinking about him running the ball.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Law98gator;n305306 said:
12998049.jpg

The good news is he seems to be a fixture at Ugly.

The bad news is he was Geoff Collins' mentor.

Our D played a great game and surprise surprise, law bitches about our D coach.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
We are going to have to have the running game to beat FSU and to win the SEC Championship Game. But we cannot just rely on the running game to win these big games. Just like if we had Grier we could not just rely on the passing game. We are going to have to rely also on our defense and our kicking game, and avoidance of costly penalties. What we are going to have to rely on is our coaching. And with McElwain and his staff we have the coaches who can give us the edge. This is why we pay the coaches the big money. This is where they earn it.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbgator;n305289 said:

When your QB is 8/19, a lot of people are quiet.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We're 1 game removed from a 55 yard effort (w/ the starting TB gaining 25 of those on 15 carries).....

There is no telling what this offense is going to do. Last game, Treon had close to 300 yards before the 4th quarter (then fell apart in the 4th)..... This game we rush for 200+ and the passing game connects on less than 50% of attempts.

To expect the running game....or passing game to "carry us" is foolish. We just need to keep doing what we're doing: getting by. A win is a win is a win..... I'll take it anyway we can get it.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Scarlett and Cronk seem to be coming on at just the right time. KT can use some relief and perhaps a fullback type to help open creases.

Treon needs to be moving in order to be accurate. Surely the coaches see this.

Anything can happen in the SECC game with a defense like this and Johnny Townsend.....get better every day....should be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator