Captain's Cogitations - Auburn

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's safe to say the Grantham haters are in shambles today!

What a ridiculously great afternoon that was in the Swamp. As has already been stated here since the game ended, that place was rocking from the opening kickoff to the last whistle. The seats were full, everyone was loud on every Auburn play, and we had that freshman shook harder than a paint can at Home Depot. I've only been going to games in the Swamp since 2009, so I haven't had a chance to experience too many of those great home game atmospheres will all our struggles this decade, but yesterday certainly qualified and then some. And on a personal note, Auburn was the last SEC team I had yet to see us play in person, and now Texas A&M is the only one I haven't seen us beat in person. I really hope the SEC finds a way to even the scheduling out moving forward, because that was way too much fun to only happen once every 10-12 years.

Now onto the game itself. Trask continues to be a steady playmaker and smart decision maker with the ball in his hands. I don't think he made a single ill-advised throw yesterday, although it seemed as if Mullen was calling some safer plays for him, especially after the injury. He just needs to work on fine-tuning his internal clock so he knows when he's about to get sacked for a fumble. Say what you want about Franks, but he was always VERY good at avoiding sacks and sack fumbles. If Mullen can get Trask working on throwing the ball away or moving in the pocket when the pressure is there, we could really see this offense reach another level moving forward.

I don't usually blame QB's too much for sack fumbles, because it's the nature of the beast. They're going to happen. But the first one was definitely on Trask. He had an unblocked man coming off the edge and didn't get the ball to the hot route (who I believe was Hammond coming across on a shallow crosser). The other two were just great plays by great defensive linemen. We're obviously very fortunate the sniper got that kid on the one return, otherwise Auburn takes the lead and the game changes. An interesting side note for this season, Pierce's fumble was the first turnover by someone other than Franks or Trask this year.

Swain and Pitts really seem to be emerging as our best pass-catching weapons. I'm not sure why we can't get Grimes or Jefferson more involved, but as long as we keep moving the ball through the air, I suppose it doesn't matter who's doing the catching. That back shoulder catch by Pitts was the first back shoulder completion by our offense in about 400 years or so, I about fainted when it happened. We're going to need them to keep producing because the offensive line is still struggling quite a bit to do anything more than the bare minimum blocking wise. It is what it is at this point, and thankfully we won't face too many more DLs as good as Auburn's. Perine's long TD was an outstanding individual effort. I wish we could give that one to the guys up front, but it should have only been about a four yard gain.

Defensively, there's not much more to say other than they FINALLY came out for 60 minutes with continuous intensity and effort, and THAT is what happens when they do. We need to see that every single game from here on out, because there are no more UT-Martins and Towsons where you can slack off for half the game and keep them out of the end zone based solely on talent. The lone touchdown we gave up, as well as the long pass completion in the 3rd quarter were both on Stiner being WAY out of position. Can't have that next week when we're against one of the best passing offenses in the country and a QB who isn't a walking, talking Proactiv commercial. I loved our contain on Nix, and we didn't let him use his scrambling ability as a crutch to move the chains. It was especially refreshing to see after we let the lesser Flacco scramble all over the damn place last week.

So now we have Tiger Stadium at night. SQ and I will be there doing our part to support our guys. Don't need to say much about this one other than bring your A game and have a great week of practice. Nobody is going to give us much of a chance, just like they didn't yesterday, so all that's left to do is say f*ck it and play your asses off.

6-0!

:chomp:

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, I hate grantham. That black wearing, mutherf v c k ing, sob....but our D flat out balled yesterday....I’ve danced with the devil more than a few times in my life so...I’ll just try not to think about him...and enjoy the ride...

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
An interesting side note for this season, Pierce's fumble was the first turnover by someone other than Franks or Trask this year.
Davis’ fumbles don’t count? Or are they blaming the option pitch in the Miami game on Franks?

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
We have had a couple games now where we seem to completely dominate the other team, but self inflicted injuries keep them in the game.
Looking for a mistake free game and Tiger meat to feast on next Saturday.

Go Gators

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks for the write up sas. My seat are down low so it's hard to tell about blown coverages but, do you think it's time for Davis to get a majority of the snaps back there, it seems he Stiner and Taylor are sharing one spot.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice write up. But I would beg to differ on Jefferson. He was absolute money in this game. He caused 2 consecutive PIs because of route running.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Nice write up. But I would beg to differ on Jefferson. He was absolute money in this game. He caused 2 consecutive PIs because of route running.
True story, forgot about those. I just wish we could get him more touches.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I do too. He’s an NFL receiver.

WTH happened to Tyrie?
I don't think he's ever been THAT good compared to the other guys. But he had the 98 yarder at LSU and the Hail Mary against Tennessee, so that more than makes up for it.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Grimes and Jefferson are drawing cover from the opponents’ best DBs, which leaves Swain and Pitts matched up on LBs. We have too many weapons. Swain and Pitts are taking full advantage of the fact that defenses have to spread themselves so thin. Dan too with his play calling.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think he's ever been THAT good compared to the other guys. But he had the 98 yarder at LSU and the Hail Mary against Tennessee, so that more than makes up for it.

Yeah – I’m guessing he’s not a great route runner. Kind of a put it up there and watch him go get it type of receiver.

Maybe @Swamp Donkey is right. We should put him back there at safety and see what happens. He’s got the build for it.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

Jefferson also sprung Swain on the opening long TD catch and run. He picked up the need to block very fast and swain ran by right off Jefferson’s a$$. Those plays win games and don’t go as noticed unless it’s a comeback type block similar to Powell springing Caloway.

WTH happened to Tyrie?

He is not a crisp in the short routes, but, it is more of an issue with there being just 1 football and there being 7 legit threats in the passing game. We just go to to the best matchup, which is rarely Cleveland, (maybe due to his speed and because he plays the field side so much, not sure). He did get more looks before Pitts, Grimes, Jefferson and Toney showed up.

But, I do wish we used him more in the deep game. I obviously haven’t charted routes we don’t throw to, but it seems our deep posts and flys have been more often Jefferson, grimes and Hammond. Cleveland can burn. Wish we’d see that out of him more.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Thanks for the write up sas. My seat are down low so it's hard to tell about blown coverages but, do you think it's time for Davis to get a majority of the snaps back there, it seems he Stiner and Taylor are sharing one spot.

Stiner gets a lot of heat, and rightly so at times. He's not as athletic as the other guys and gets out of position,especially on deep routes. But I'll give him this, when a play is there to be made, he makes it. The INT was a bad decision by Nix, but Stiner was where he was supposed to be, made the pick, and wisely took a knee instead of nervously trying to do too much. Blitz last year against Msu, pick against Lsu, etc. He actually has made some redeeming plays.

Taylor is a different story. Should've tried to add some serious weight to him years ago and make him a reserve LB. He just isn't bringing anything to the table in the secondary.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Stiner gets a lot of heat, and rightly so at times. He's not as athletic as the other guys and gets out of position,especially on deep routes. But I'll give him this, when a play is there to be made, he makes it. The INT was a bad decision by Nix, but Stiner was where he was supposed to be, made the pick, and wisely took a knee instead of nervously trying to do too much. Blitz last year against Msu, pick against Lsu, etc. He actually has made some redeeming plays.

Taylor is a different story. Should've tried to add some serious weight to him years ago and make him a reserve LB. He just isn't bringing anything to the table in the secondary.

JT. Butters special

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stiner gets a lot of heat, and rightly so at times. He's not as athletic as the other guys and gets out of position,especially on deep routes. But I'll give him this, when a play is there to be made, he makes it. .
When you sare a safety, and he is usually the "free safety" if we are 1 high, the play to be made is not getting deep.

Of course, as SOS used to say, it is our fault, we are the ones who put him on the field.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But, I do wish we used him more in the deep game. I obviously haven’t charted routes we don’t throw to, but it seems our deep posts and flys have been more often Jefferson, grimes and Hammond. Cleveland can burn. Wish we’d see that out of him more.
Especially 2016 against the corn dogs, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator