Captain's Cogitations - Georgia

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well I guess the carriage turned back into a pumpkin, eh? We've all been talking all year about how our depth wasn't that great, especially in the secondary, and it finally reared its ugly head yesterday. Looks like the rumors of Stewart being suspended were true, and then throw in Henderson's injury, and we were Old Mother Hubbard in the defensive backfield the whole game. I'm honestly shocked at how long it took UGA to realize it, I figured they were just going to keep trying to run the ball into a wall until they lost the game, but alas. Anyway, onto the specifics.

I'm sure a lot of people are angry with Franks this morning, and he did plenty to earn that anger. Overthrowing that flea flicker on the first play was just a sign of things to come. But as I always do, I want to tell people to pump the brakes a little bit. We've known all along that Franks is a streaky player, and l firmly believe that missing that first pass messed with his head the rest of the game. We only completed a small handful of downfield passes after that, including his best throw of the game by FAR, the TD to Swain. People are going to be mad at him for fumbling on the 1 yard line, but direct some of that towards Mullen for putting him in a situation where ball security is paramount. Franks doesn't have the greatest ball security while running, so he shoudn't be plowing into the line coming off our own goal line. Either way, I still have confidence that he can shake that performance off and come back strong against Missouri next week, a team with a slightly less talented defense than UGA.

Emory Jones' appearance was obviously a surprise. He looked good running the ball, but hesitated a little too long on that one option he fumbled. Credit the defender for making a hell of a play, but if Jones gets that pitch off a split second sooner, Scarlett is running free. I did like Mullen throwing that wrinkle in during the off week, and it shows he's willing to utilize a kid's four games as much as he can before shutting him down for a redshirt. The deep ball Jones threw was a great toss considering it looked like he threw it off his back foot, so he clearly has an arm. We'll see if Mullen starts using him as a Tebow type, where he can run some RPO's and get the defense guessing a little bit before he burns them deep.

Defensively, that was as bad as we've looked all year, even worse than the Kentucky game. Other than holding strong inside the 5 on the first drive and the drive after the fumble, they just couldn't come up with any big plays. No big sacks, no turnovers, no 3rd down stops when we needed it. And as I alluded to in the first paragraph, it's just the culmination of years of bad recruiting in the secondary that caught up to us. I hope like hell that Stewart's suspension was only the one game and that whatever is ailing Henderson isn't serious enough to keep him out next week, because we'll need them both for Missouri. On the bright side, from where I was sitting, it seemed like Reese and Joseph both played great games and had UGA's RB's bottled up for the majority of the game. I never thought if we contained their run game that Fromm could beat us, but I also didn't think we'd have our 2nd and 3rd string guys out there the whole game, either.

At the end of the day, it just came down to we were playing a team with a lot more talent than we had, and we didn't play anywhere near clean enough to win a game like that. Winning a game with a -3 turnover ratio is hard enough, but when it's against a team that was a c*nt hair away from the national championship last year, it's almost impossible. I hate losing to Georgia almost more than anything, but we showed we belong on the big stage. We're not at the top yet, and it still might take some time, but this team is resilient, they're hungry, and they don't quit. After the last nine years, that's about as much as you can ask for. We're playing with house money this year, so it's not going to be pretty all the time, but it hasn't fallen apart yet.

Mullen's biggest test now is holding this thing together. Too many times in the last 9 seasons, we've seen the team completely collapse down the stretch in November. In '10, we got housed at home by SC in a game that could have clinched the East, then got murdered by FSU. In '11, we lost to SC and FSU again. In '12, we needed a blocked punt miracle TD to beat LA-Lafayette and sleptwalked through lackluster wins over Mizzou and Jacksonville St. before showing up to pound FSU. In '13, we went 0-fer including Georgia Southern. In '14, we choked away the SC and FSU games. In '15, we needed our cokehead kicker to bail us out against Vandy, needed OT against FAU, and got curbstomped against FSU. In '16, we got killed by Arkansas and FSU (although we had the big road win at LSU). Last year, our only win was against the rebooted UAB program.

Someone should just put together a lowlight reel of all those losses and show it to the team some time this week. That cannot happen again. I truly think a lot of our issues in November have been a lack of conditioning. This is the month where we'll find out if this whole Savage program has paid dividends or not. This is the month where we'll find out if the players have truly and completely bought into Mullen's "relentless effort" mantra. Because it's easy to play hard and show relentless effort early in the season when all your goals are still within sight, and when you haven't played 2/3 of your games. They're going to be tired, beat up, and sore from here on out. The best teams fight through that and finish strong. The worst teams wither and limp into the offseason. And all of that starts at the top. So this is it. If Mullen wants to close with a strong recruiting class, these next four games are going to be the key. Recruiting kids coming off a 10-2 year is a hell of a lot easier than recruiting them coming off a 8-4 year when you went 2-3 down the stretch.

Tough loss last night, but all is not lost. I believe in Dan Mullen, and I believe in our Gators.

:chomp:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm honestly shocked at how long it took UGA to realize it, I figured they were just going to keep trying to run the ball into a wall until they lost the game, but alas.
Yeah, the talent advantage right now is huge but the Dwags poor coaching managed to keep it close.

The funny thing is that at Corndogs, the Dwags went away from the run (which was working) and tried to pass too much. This game was somewhat the opposite. Their run game was working but the passing game against our weaknesses (LB, safety, #12) were basically completed passes at will. I'm sort of glad they didn't figure this out in the first three quarters.

Last edited:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Once we get a legitimate QB, that is when we return to prominence and start winning these games again.

I think the defense, or lack thereof, had something to do with this loss.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Franks missing a wide open TD early that would have changed the game complexion, along with throwing a perfect pass to the wide open defender, didn't help. His fumble is a play that shouldn't have been called to be honest, his ball security is poor at best, putting him in that spot was a coaching blunder.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Our defensive backfield could lose to Missouri ... possibly others ... but really, that ain't our D backfield.
These Gator guys with this Gator HC are fighters .... winners, not losers.
As a QB, I must admit Franks is a stutterer, a hard flaw to clear. But we may as well keep hoping.??
Don't see EJ as a really high performer, yet. Heck, I've seen Toney show better dual threat talent than EJ.
DM inherited the most confused team in CFB history. And way too thin to stay whole the whole season.
2 games we lost we could see how we might have won. We got better envision than many years past.
We are confident that we are well on our way to doing well. 2 bits a dollar, gang.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I partially agree. Toney could have made the runs and the option reads but I don't think Toney could make that throw.
I like all our Gators. So, I'm not denigrating EJ. I am just genuinely puzzled.?

Been awhile since I researched this but Kadarius Toney had the highest pass completion % of any H.S. QB ever signed by UF. There's zero occurrences indicating Toney cannot complete his passes. Why am I seeing such sure declarations about EJ as QB of these Gators when Toney, in H.S., has the "evidence" in black & white (in both run & pass) that exceeds EJ's performances. What gives??

Add to that that Toney's college efforts & results at UF show similar excellence even in his freshman season.
So far in 2018, Toney has 11 runs for 125 yds (11.4 ypc).
EJ has 7 runs for 26 yds (that would be 3.x ypc ... except he's lost -18 yds) Sure, some those were probly drop-back sacks? but some losses were run efforts similar to Toney's wildcats, except defenses are more geared to stop Toney solely as a runner while not so stacked for EJ. Those Ds stopped EJ's runs but not Toney's runs? In his freshman year, Toney was 1/2 50 yard completion. ? Nothing from EJ so far ? I'm puzzled.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I like all our Gators. So, I'm not denigrating EJ. I am just genuinely puzzled.?

Been awhile since I researched this but Kadarius Toney had the highest pass completion % of any H.S. QB ever signed by UF. There's zero occurrences indicating Toney cannot complete his passes. Why am I seeing such sure declarations about EJ as QB of these Gators when Toney, in H.S., has the "evidence" in black & white (in both run & pass) that exceeds EJ's performances. What gives??

Add to that that Toney's college efforts & results at UF show similar excellence even in his freshman season.
So far in 2018, Toney has 11 runs for 125 yds (11.4 ypc).
EJ has 7 runs for 26 yds (that would be 3.x ypc ... except he's lost -18 yds) Sure, some those were probly drop-back sacks? but some losses were run efforts similar to Toney's wildcats, except defenses are more geared to stop Toney solely as a runner while not so stacked for EJ. Those Ds stopped EJ's runs but not Toney's runs? In his freshman year, Toney was 1/2 50 yard completion. ? Nothing from EJ so far ? I'm puzzled.
I didn't know that about Toney. And, I admit, I don't know what kind of arm he has and far as distance. I do know he is certainly niftier as a runner than EJ and I'm not sure he wouldn't be better than Franks, but that's not saying alot.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Freshman Toney completed a 50-yard pass. There was little YACs, so it was pretty much 50 in the air.
The thing is ... Toney just might be the near equivalent of Louisville's Lamar Jackson (Heisman winner) but we steer him away from QB ? Some colleges recruiting Lamar Jackson were talking about making him a safety. ??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.