Captain's Cogitations - Georgia

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I hate Georgia.

So yesterday was a tad frustrating. Anyone else agree? :lol: We knew going into the game that we were going to have to play a relatively clean and mistake free game. We knew their defense was very good and their offense had been sputtering a bit as of late. We knew we were going to have to pressure Fromm and contain the run game. And we knew we were going to have to protect Trask. And we basically did none of that.

The worst thing about both sides of the football yesterday was the inability to make the plays when they presented themselves, whether they were difficult plays to make or not. Jefferson almost came down with a back shoulder jump ball early in the game. Davis almost had a one-handed interception on a UGA drive that ended with a FG. Perine came up inches short on 3rd down on the first drive. The defense in general had a complete and utter incompetence on 3rd down when all they had to do was just get one more stop to get off the field so many times. And the busted coverage on UGA's final touchdown.

The second worst thing was the fact that UGA DID make the plays they had to make. That ridiculous one-handed tip catch in the 2nd half. The throw Fromm made to ice the game on 3rd & long in the 4th quarter. The 4th down stop in the 1st quarter. Hell, even the 2 point conversion that would have forced the game to overtime had we somehow come back to score one more touchdown.

And that was the difference. There wasn't THAT big of a gap between the teams. It came down, as it always does, to a handful of plays to decide the game. For the second straight year, they made every play they had to make, and we barely made any. It was eerily similar to the LSU game when an interception and a holding penalty practically clinched the loss for us. As good as we are at making those clutch plays against the middle/lower tier teams on our schedule (and occasionally the good ones like LSU last year and Auburn this year), we've got to take the next step and do it against the big boys. I think a big part of that is these kids don't know how to win yet. They came in during the end of the Mac era when we were completely and utterly helpless, and that mentality hasn't completely been eradicated yet. Mullen has done a GREAT job swinging the culture back the other way, but we still have to translate that to winning these type of games on Saturdays.

It was extremely frustrating to watch us call slow developing play after slow developing play for nearly 3 quarters until we finally started calling quick hitters and moved right up the field. It was also extremely frustrating to watch us dick around and wait for the play clock to get under 10 seconds on every play on the last touchdown drive. The drive itself was great because we scored and gave ourselves a chance, but our margin for error was zilch by the time it was over. Trask played another great game, but damn son, learn to throw the ball away! We don't need 20 yard sacks! Say what you want about Franks, but he knew how to throw the ball away. 2nd or 3rd & 10 is a hell of a lot better than 2nd or 3rd & 30.

Defensively, it's basically all been said already. Don't bill yourself as an attacking, man to man defense, then turtle up and play a pillow soft zone on 3rd & long and wonder why we constantly give up long conversions. I think we all put a little too much stock into how effective Greenard and Zuniga were going to be, but our rush defense was surely improved over the last few weeks without them. I mean they popped off that one longer run, but they were completely bottled up otherwise. We just have to try whatever we can to increase our pressure on the QB, because the pass rush has been almost non-existent for three straight games now.

Anyway, time to flush that game down the toilet and move on to Vandy. They're the weakest FBS team we'll play by FAR this year, so don't get sucked into that post-UGA funk and come out flat. Bury them quickly and move on. There's no reason to think we can't finish 10-2 and head to another NY6 bowl, which is what we all figured would be our result this season back in August.

Go Gators, new winning streak begins in 6 days!

:chomp:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yup, way too many slow developing plays and too soft of coverage is spot on. Grenard and Zuniga make a big difference in the run defense. I thought they would, but some here had their doubts. Unfortunately, we still couldn't get a pass rush and that hurt us bad with the soft coverages we were playing.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I hate Georgia.

So yesterday was a tad frustrating. Anyone else agree? :lol: We knew going into the game that we were going to have to play a relatively clean and mistake free game. We knew their defense was very good and their offense had been sputtering a bit as of late. We knew we were going to have to pressure Fromm and contain the run game. And we knew we were going to have to protect Trask. And we basically did none of that.

The worst thing about both sides of the football yesterday was the inability to make the plays when they presented themselves, whether they were difficult plays to make or not. Jefferson almost came down with a back shoulder jump ball early in the game. Davis almost had a one-handed interception on a UGA drive that ended with a FG. Perine came up inches short on 3rd down on the first drive. The defense in general had a complete and utter incompetence on 3rd down when all they had to do was just get one more stop to get off the field so many times. And the busted coverage on UGA's final touchdown.

The second worst thing was the fact that UGA DID make the plays they had to make. That ridiculous one-handed tip catch in the 2nd half. The throw Fromm made to ice the game on 3rd & long in the 4th quarter. The 4th down stop in the 1st quarter. Hell, even the 2 point conversion that would have forced the game to overtime had we somehow come back to score one more touchdown.

And that was the difference. There wasn't THAT big of a gap between the teams. It came down, as it always does, to a handful of plays to decide the game. For the second straight year, they made every play they had to make, and we barely made any. It was eerily similar to the LSU game when an interception and a holding penalty practically clinched the loss for us. As good as we are at making those clutch plays against the middle/lower tier teams on our schedule (and occasionally the good ones like LSU last year and Auburn this year), we've got to take the next step and do it against the big boys. I think a big part of that is these kids don't know how to win yet. They came in during the end of the Mac era when we were completely and utterly helpless, and that mentality hasn't completely been eradicated yet. Mullen has done a GREAT job swinging the culture back the other way, but we still have to translate that to winning these type of games on Saturdays.

It was extremely frustrating to watch us call slow developing play after slow developing play for nearly 3 quarters until we finally started calling quick hitters and moved right up the field. It was also extremely frustrating to watch us dick around and wait for the play clock to get under 10 seconds on every play on the last touchdown drive. The drive itself was great because we scored and gave ourselves a chance, but our margin for error was zilch by the time it was over. Trask played another great game, but damn son, learn to throw the ball away! We don't need 20 yard sacks! Say what you want about Franks, but he knew how to throw the ball away. 2nd or 3rd & 10 is a hell of a lot better than 2nd or 3rd & 30.

Defensively, it's basically all been said already. Don't bill yourself as an attacking, man to man defense, then turtle up and play a pillow soft zone on 3rd & long and wonder why we constantly give up long conversions. I think we all put a little too much stock into how effective Greenard and Zuniga were going to be, but our rush defense was surely improved over the last few weeks without them. I mean they popped off that one longer run, but they were completely bottled up otherwise. We just have to try whatever we can to increase our pressure on the QB, because the pass rush has been almost non-existent for three straight games now.

Anyway, time to flush that game down the toilet and move on to Vandy. They're the weakest FBS team we'll play by FAR this year, so don't get sucked into that post-UGA funk and come out flat. Bury them quickly and move on. There's no reason to think we can't finish 10-2 and head to another NY6 bowl, which is what we all figured would be our result this season back in August.

The gap you speak of is the one thing I would disagree with you on. The athletic talent gap was very apparent to me and many others. And when you are on the wrong side of that talent gap and you add piss poor game management, that hill to climb is just too steep.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Dang it sas, I liked multiple things you did today. Only difference I have was my initial prediction - I thought we’d go 8-4/9-3. Schedule seems to be a little easier than initially thought so 9-3/10-2 seems more fair to expect. Didn’t expect this many issues with the defense and our $1.8M flea bitten DC but I did expect to have a ton of issues on the OL. Also thought Franks would be better this year - was wrong there but Trask has been a revelation and season saver.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
The only thing I’ll disagree with you on is that these are Mac kids that don’t know how to win. If that were true then every second year coach that took over a sub .500 program would lose games like this. Elite coaches don’t let that be an excuse and they settle for nothing less than perfection in these kinds of games.

I get that every coach isn’t a Spurrier, Meyer or a Saban, but if we’re talking about the real Gator Standard, that’s it, and no one should know it better than Mullen. My hope is that what we saw on Saturday isn’t our ceiling with Mullen, but my fear is that it’s just that, and I didn’t feel that way until I witnessed us lay the biggest turd we’ve laid in a big game since he’s been here.

I guess we will see, next year.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
The only thing I’ll disagree with you on is that these are Mac kids that don’t know how to win. If that were true then every second year coach that took over a sub .500 program would lose games like this. Elite coaches don’t let that be an excuse and they settle for nothing less than perfection in these kinds of games.

I get that every coach isn’t a Spurrier, Meyer or a Saban, but if we’re talking about the real Gator Standard, that’s it, and no one should know it better than Mullen. My hope is that what we saw on Saturday isn’t our ceiling with Mullen, but my fear is that it’s just that, and I didn’t feel that way until I witnessed us lay the biggest turd we’ve laid in a big game since he’s been here.

Neither Spurrier or Meyer had a perfect season at UF. We always seem to sh*t the bed at least once. This game could have been won with the change of 2-3 plays. Perine gets the first down. Replay official calls an incomplete pass incomplete. Trask throws the ball away instead of taking a 20 yard sack.. Dan dosn't kill the drive by putting EJ in to run the ball. Yes we can't run for one yard and we can't get off the field for third and long. Both of those need to be fixed, but even so we still could have won the game. I am disappointed but not ready to throw out the baby with the bath water.

SGG

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Neither Spurrier or Meyer had a perfect season at UF. We always seem to sh*t the bed at least once. This game could have been won with the change of 2-3 plays. Perine gets the first down. Replay official calls an incomplete pass incomplete. Trask throws the ball away instead of taking a 20 yard sack.. Dan dosn't kill the drive by putting EJ in to run the ball. Yes we can't run for one yard and we can't get off the field for third and long. Both of those need to be fixed, but even so we still could have won the game. I am disappointed but not ready to throw out the baby with the bath water.
No one said they had perfect seasons, you’re putting words in my mouth. What I said was we like to use the excuse that these are “insert coach xyz’s” kids, so he shouldn’t be held accountable for their wins and losses. That’s unacceptable and loser talk.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Trask throws the ball instead of taking a sack, you mean situational football. Something coaching and experience take care of. The score was a lot closer than the play on the field. Those dog humpers has vastly more talent than we do, we are just luck they are lead by a coach that is Muschamp 2.0. The problem when the other team is playing in your backfield and determining pace the whole game... it's not that close.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Trask throws the ball instead of taking a sack, you mean situational football. Something coaching and experience take care of. The score was a lot closer than the play on the field. Those dog humpers has vastly more talent than we do, we are just luck they are lead by a coach that is Muschamp 2.0. The problem when the other team is playing in your backfield and determining pace the whole game... it's not that close.

As much as I like the idea of being aggressive on the opening drive 4th down call, I would've been ok with punting and trying to get Townsend(and Jefferson) to pen them inside the 5. To me, that's what started the avalanche against the gamecocks two weeks ago. Momentum is so huge in this game, and we needed something positive on the opening drive, even if it came through simply grabbing a few first downs and flipping field position. The only thing we couldn't afford was something negative.

What bothered me was that in addition to the two wasted timeouts, we also were given a free stoppage with the review. Obviously you hope for a good verdict, but you don't have to make a decision on the fly and can take that time to get your team composed and ready for the 4th down. As I said, I'm ok with the decision to go for it. I just think the playcall is a contradiction. Telling your team that you're not waiting around and hoping the win comes to us is great. You just can't, in the same breath, tell your OL that you have no confidence in them getting 15 inches. The two sentiments can't coexist. You have to be able to run the ball, and that was our chance to man up and take control. To me, even if we'd been successful on the pass, it sends the wrong message, because you're acknowledging that not only are you not winning the LOS, you're not even sure you can compete. In any event, that moment, to me, set the tone for the day.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
As much as I like the idea of being aggressive on the opening drive 4th down call, I would've been ok with punting and trying to get Townsend(and Jefferson) to pen them inside the 5. To me, that's what started the avalanche against the gamecocks two weeks ago. Momentum is so huge in this game, and we needed something positive on the opening drive, even if it came through simply grabbing a few first downs and flipping field position. The only thing we couldn't afford was something negative.

What bothered me was that in addition to the two wasted timeouts, we also were given a free stoppage with the review. Obviously you hope for a good verdict, but you don't have to make a decision on the fly and can take that time to get your team composed and ready for the 4th down. As I said, I'm ok with the decision to go for it. I just think the playcall is a contradiction. Telling your team that you're not waiting around and hoping the win comes to us is great. You just can't, in the same breath, tell your OL that you have no confidence in them getting 15 inches. The two sentiments can't coexist. You have to be able to run the ball, and that was our chance to man up and take control. To me, even if we'd been successful on the pass, it sends the wrong message, because you're acknowledging that not only are you not winning the LOS, you're not even sure you can compete. In any event, that moment, to me, set the tone for the day.

I regret that I have but one like to give to this post.

Third and inches you man up, put the QB under center, and either QB sneak it or give it to Pierce to bull it through. Otherwise, you punt.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Agree with going for it, disagree with the play call.

As Barry Switzer said in a post game presser after an Eagles win "If I can't gain a yard in two plays, then I don't deserve to win the game." -

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I hate Georgia.

For two weeks we heard the return of Toney, Zuniga and Greenard would be a significant boost to Gator victory chances. What is your opinion (if any) concerning first game performance by athletes returning from injury to game competition after significant layoff?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
For two weeks we heard the return of Toney, Zuniga and Greenard would be a significant boost to Gator victory chances. What is your opinion (if any) concerning first game performance by athletes returning from injury to game competition after significant layoff?

You didn't ask me but I think we saw an improvement right off the bat but none of them were well enough to stay in the whole game. We lost the edge as the game went on and as for Toney I am pretty sure he only got one carry that went about a yard.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

True...but I won’t commit to what Mullen’s ceiling is until we get his type of QB in here. Trask has been great and we’re probably sitting at 3-4 losses right if Franks is still starting but when we get AR in that’s when we’ll see if Mullen has it. That’s his guy and the type of guy that usually takes this offense to another level.

SGG

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
True...but I won’t commit to what Mullen’s ceiling is until we get his type of QB in here. Trask has been great and we’re probably sitting at 3-4 losses right if Franks is still starting but when we get AR in that’s when we’ll see if Mullen has it. That’s his guy and the type of guy that usually takes this offense to another level.
From everything I’ve seen on AR, he’s going to be a special dude.

I think Emory will be fine, if he sticks around.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I dunno man... A great QB really tilts thing in your favor but can still be shut down by elite defenses. I’ll feel a lot better about the direction of the program when we start landing top OL. That is our biggest issue right now. Even DL recruiting seems to be turning around, especially if we nab Smith.

SGG

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
That’s as much of a catch as the second one they ruled a catch too. We’ve sure been on the receiving end(pun intended) of the shyttiest calls when it comes to reviews this season.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That’s as much of a catch as the second one they ruled a catch too. We’ve sure been on the receiving end(pun intended) of the shyttiest calls when it comes to reviews this season.

And so have other teams. Lead SEC refs make like 200K. And we still get this bullshyt. They’re more interested in getting their biceps in order instead of calling games right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator