Carrie Fisher, Dead at age 60 (mother Debbie Reynolds dies the next day)

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BVM stands for bag valve mask. It is what medics use to breathe for a patient rather than mouth to mouth. AEDs are everywhere so I would be surprised if this plane didn't have one. But you can only do so much when someone has complete blockage of blood flow to the heart's blood vessels.

Do we know Fisher had a complete blockage? I've been reading the issue could have been electrical.

Re Debbie Reynolds, it makes my mind race back to a little less than a year ago, when a very good high school friend, 60, and then his mother passed away a week apart. My buddy died of heart failure while driving to Michigan from Chicago. The family was just devastated.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is the pic I love most of Carrie Fisher. Just a sassy little '70s girl. She definitely had her share of demons. Don't we all?

carrie-fisher-3.jpg

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Do we know Fisher had a complete blockage? I've been reading the issue could have been electrical.

Re Debbie Reynolds, it makes my mind race back to a little less than a year ago, when a very good high school friend, 60, and then his mother passed away a week apart. My buddy died of heart failure while driving to Michigan from Chicago. The family was just devastated.

No idea. The article I read said she had a heart attack. That refers to a blockage in the coronary arteries. If her heart stopped, most likely she had a complete blockage of a major vessel. Heart attacks commonly cause abnormal heart rhythms which using a defibrillator can help, but ultimately unless you clear the blockage in the artery it won't do much. Blocking blood flow, blocks oxygen from getting to the tissue which kills it and the heart stops working.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No idea. The article I read said she had a heart attack. That refers to a blockage in the coronary arteries. If her heart stopped, most likely she had a complete blockage of a major vessel. Heart attacks commonly cause abnormal heart rhythms which using a defibrillator can help, but ultimately unless you clear the blockage in the artery it won't do much. Blocking blood flow, blocks oxygen from getting to the tissue which kills it and the heart stops working.

She was a '70s party animal, though you wonder if it was more to cope than to pop off. Blow, lots of booze and Percodan, which she claimed helped "dial down" her bipolar. The global fame from Star Wars brought depression. During a roast of George Lucas years go, she said he "ruined" her life. She said it tongue in cheek, but you knew there was a lot of honesty behind her words. She never could quite handle what fame brought.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
She walks to the microphone and says, "Hi, my name is Carrie and I'm an alcoholic." The audience, which includes Harrison Ford and his wife a few feet away, is so caught off guard that they don't know whether to laugh or gasp. Listen to what she has to say next. Ford, with whom she had an alleged affair during the filming of Star Wars, is just shriiiiiiinking into his chair. :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not that I've heard, but smoker with a long flight screams thrombosis (blood clot) to me.

Defibrillators only work on a couple of very specific dysrhythmias.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not that I've heard, but smoker with a long flight screams thrombosis (blood clot) to me.

Defibrillators only work on a couple of very specific dysrhythmias.

No one knows for sure at this point, but the risk from thrombosis is to the lungs. Authorities said she had a cardiac event but stopped short of terming it a heart attack, which led to speculation of a possible electrical malfunction. That's where defib came into the discussion.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Most people die of a cardiac event, eventually. PEs become cardiac events, slitting your wrist becomes a cardiac event.

They have been quite vague. Said she was stable when in fact she was braindead from extended cpr.

We will see.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ALL people die of a cardiac event. It's a matter of identifying the underlying cause.
Cardiac arrest IS clinical death. It is not something you die from. A "cardiac event" means nothing. It isn't a medical term. You will never see either listed as the cause of death.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Interesting observation (electrical) - pretty sure I read she voluntarily underwent electro-shock therapy for a while as treatment for her bi-polar condition (and maybe even addiction, IDK). I'm no doctor, but maybe G2 can shed some light on whether or not ES may cause heart irregularities and eventual failure.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting observation (electrical) - pretty sure I read she voluntarily underwent electro-shock therapy for a while as treatment for her bi-polar condition (and maybe even addiction, IDK). I'm no doctor, but maybe G2 can shed some light on whether or not ES may cause heart irregularities and eventual failure.

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) has no bearing on the heart. The heart has automaticity which means the heart has the capability to set its own rate/rhythm without external input. The rhythm is controlled locally by special heart cells. If she went into sudden cardiac arrest due to a heart arrhythmia it was most likely due to underlying heart disease due to her age, smoking and being overweight which damage the heart cells.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.