Celtics Lakers - The Best of Enemies

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched parts 1,2 and 3. Holy crap, this era will never be repeated. This is much watch TV!

Parts 2 and 3 were best, but all three we're awesome!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched parts 1,2 and 3. Holy crap, this era will never be repeated. This is much watch TV!

Parts 2 and 3 were best, but all three we're awesome!
I started watching. Looks like it pretty awesome.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I used to watch the finals back then. Those were some good series.
Best ever.
tumblr_mtpbolAhbo1sdydefo1_400.gif

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't get better than this rivalry.

So let me get this straight.

The Celtics played very physical (borderline dirty) style of basketball and it was considered tough but acceptable.

When the Pistons did the same thing, it was 100% dirty basketball and completely unacceptable. Correct?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

The Celtics played very physical (borderline dirty) style of basketball and it was considered tough but acceptable.

When the Pistons did the same thing, it was 100% dirty basketball and completely unacceptable. Correct?

Yep. The beloved Celtics, although a lot of people did hate them.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. The beloved Celtics, although a lot of people did hate them.

I will go a step further in sharing the hypocrisy of the NBA, their fans, and the media that covers them.

When Rodman played for the Pistons he was one of the dirtiest players in the league. When he went to the Bulls , and played the game the exact same way, he was an aggressive player.

I know that nobody cares, but I have mentioned my disdain for the NBA. Well, this is where it started. Hypocrisy masquerading as insight.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I will go a step further in sharing the hypocrisy of the NBA, their fans, and the media that covers them.

When Rodman played for the Pistons he was one of the dirtiest players in the league. When he went to the Bulls , and played the game the exact same way, he was an aggressive player.

I know that nobody cares, but I have mentioned my disdain for the NBA. Well, this is where it started. Hypocrisy masquerading as insight.
So, you're an old Piston's fan, eh?
:suspect:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Whether you were a Lakers or Celtics fan, you had to chuckle at M.L. Carr when he mentioned the "Fakers" and "Tragic" Johnson after a Celtics series win. This is, as has been mentioned, must see TV. As Charlie Murphy once said about Prince..."those cats could ball!"

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

You're really comparing the Celtics to Daly's Bad Boys? That's like comparing a church choir to Metallica.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Carr would stand outside the locker room and wait for the Lakers. As they walked by he'd yell Not Tonight Boys!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That era was the best of the NBA. I hated the Lakers and the Celts (was a Sixer fan) but you did not miss a televised game between them. You knew while you were watching that you were watching something great.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I'm a back in the day Celtics fan... got hooked during the JoJo White, Havlicek, Cowens, Silas followed by the Bird/Mchale/Chief show... loved the anticipation and the games with the Lakers win lose or draw... I don't watch selfish ball these days

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That era was the best of the NBA. I hated the Lakers and the Celts (was a Sixer fan) but you did not miss a televised game between them. You knew while you were watching that you were watching something great.
Likewise. I really enjoyed Dr. J, Bobby Jones, Cheeks, and Toney (the "Boston Strangler"). But I came to enjoy and appreciate the Celtics and to a lesser extent, the Lakers (even though I couldn't really stand that West Coast/Hollywood BS). They could, as I've mentioned, really play and their games and series against each other were epic. Through old eyes, the game nowadays isn't anywhere near the level at which those guys played.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Likewise. I really enjoyed Dr. J, Bobby Jones, Cheeks, and Toney (the "Boston Strangler"). But I came to enjoy and appreciate the Celtics and to a lesser extent, the Lakers (even though I couldn't really stand that West Coast/Hollywood BS). They could, as I've mentioned, really play and their games and series against each other were epic. Through old eyes, the game nowadays isn't anywhere near the level at which those guys played.
It's just like watching an all-star game these. Chucking 3s and dunking. When they outlawed defense and physicality the product became unwatchable for me.

Toney had the best first step I had ever seen. Moses was a beast in the paint, too.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This is on my DVR and I'm looking forward to watching it this weekend. I think it's the greatest rivalry in the history of sports.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

That might be the silliest thing on the internet today.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I loved the 80's. Easily my favorite era.

The 60's and the early 70's played really good basketball. The Celtics streak, 67 Sixers, Knicks, 72 Lakers. Team orientation. Then a major decline in quality, teamwork and interest.

Along come Magic, Bird and the 80's revived the sport. Lakers, Celtics and Sixers become legendary rivals. All based on team first approach. MJ comes in 84 and guys like Dominique. Super talents but not playing on teams which valued teamwork. Took MJ his first 7 years before the Bulls understood. The league soared.

Then a shift away from fast, share the ball, get after it basketball to a much slower, more physical brand. Scores 84-80 were not unusual. Lots of fights, free throws and ISO strategies slowed the game to a crawl.

We now remember that physicality fondly but truthfully back then we complained about it frequently. We liked the personalities and the fights far more than the brand.

What I like about the current era is the uptempo, team approach. The current Warriors, Spurs, Celtics and my Heat are all examples of team orientation maximizing ball movement.

There also seems to be a disdain by some on the emphasis on 3 point shooting today. Let me introduce you to the Knicks. Dave Debushere (sp), Jerry Lucas, Bill Bradley, Clyde, Earl Monroe, Dick Barnett and even a Willis Reed all pulled the trigger early and often. Extreme ball movement to open shooters. Had there been a 3 point line they would have gladly extended. And probably won at least 1 more championship. 72 Lakers won 69 games with West, Goodrich, McMillan, Erickson, Riley all banging from the outside.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

I loved that 76er team. Andrew Toney was one of my all-time favorites. Even with all that firepower it was that 4th quarter defense that locked it down game after game. I mean choked out the opponent completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator