Charlie Strong

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Well, his boys are looking good. Ranked 21st and put a whooping on Temple.

I remember a time when we hammered teams like Temple too.

Charlie is going to do good with FL recruits and that offense he has going.

I can tell you, I am glad we are not playing them,

What's yalls thoughts?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Happy for him. Seems like a good fit. But let's face it, he was the coach of the richest football team in the country in one of the richest recruiting states in the country and failed pretty badly. He will do OK like he did at UL but will not be winning any championships.

The UCF-USF game should be a pretty good one.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was always stupid to take a guy with great Florida ties and make him HC at Texas.

Fit is very important in these jobs.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Strong is a good guy, but an average coach. USF is one of those places that every 4-6 years they might put together a decent cast of characters and make some noise, but they will never contend for anything other than the all doesnt matter conference. Strong came aboard at the peak of this cycle so I wouldnt get too excited with what you are seeing this year.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
USF has not, and will not, play anybody. Their schedule is an embarrassment, and after watching some of their games I'd pass on Strong. Good guy though.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I agree strong to Texas was stupid. He could do good at any of the big three in FL.

A sad point though is I do believe we'd hang around 20 on Temple. "and yet they are a good team"

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Strong is a good fit for schools like UofL and USF, etc. If he was at UofL now, I think his results would be similar to his results at Texas. USF will get decent recruits, but then they, like UofL, etc, also get very good players who were malcontents or just not good enough to play at top tier schools. That is what gives them that extra punch so to speak. But to be genuflecting in front of Strong b/c they beat an awful Temple team is a bit much. If anyone thinks Collins is going to be a good head coach, they are sorely mistaken. he was so unorganized during a game as DC here, it was laughable. Sure his teams may have been ranked on defense at the end of the year, but way too many mistakes on a weekly basis. Just talk to anybody close to the program and they will tell you Collins was an odd, aloof guy. As for Strong, I wish him the best, but take a look at just how undisciplined they have been against 3 below average teams.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Dont discount decent college football in Tampa. Talent abounds around there. The Univ of Tampa was a great team when it was in operation. I think USF has a chance to make it the big four in Fla.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I cant belive how empty that stadium was with them being ranked. There are way more people at the local high school football games than at that USF game.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I cant belive how empty that stadium was with them being ranked. There are way more people at the local high school football games than at that USF game.

Their marketing dept should be fired. TBH, I live here in Tampa and had no idea there was a game until yesterday's ride home from work. That's unacceptable.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Probably shoulda tried to let the Fla guy try and fit here instead of the Texas guy.
I wouldn't have loved the hire of Strong here as i generally do not like defensive guys as head coach but if given the choice of Strong or muscrap i would have taken Strong a million times over that meathead muscrap any day.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
USF is a directional school without direction. It will never be an elite program. It's a commuter school with all the game day atmosphere of a mall parking lot. What urban state commuter school ever became an elite program? Most of them turn out when all that's said and done to be like Memphis State, or Tiger High, as it's known in North Mississippi. Not saying USF won't make some waves now and then but it's not going to be consistent.

Tampa is not a college town. Yes, the Tampa Spartans had some fairly exciting teams back in the day of Fabulous Freddie Solomon and Jim Del Gazio but they also had their share of raggamuffin rejects from a hodgepodge of other schools and in the end the football program at Tampa U. Ended up on the trash heap of history. Great memories though like the time Ole Miss with Archie Manning came down to Tampa and won a high scoring, at least for that time, one point squeaker.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
USF is a directional school without direction. It will never be an elite program. It's a commuter school with all the game day atmosphere of a mall parking lot. What urban state commuter school ever became an elite program? Most of them turn out when all that's said and done to be like Memphis State, or Tiger High, as it's known in North Mississippi. Not saying USF won't make some waves now and then but it's not going to be consistent.

Tampa is not a college town. Yes, the Tampa Spartans had some fairly exciting teams back in the day of Fabulous Freddie Solomon and Jim Del Gazio but they also had their share of raggamuffin rejects from a hodgepodge of other schools and in the end the football program at Tampa U. Ended up on the trash heap of history. Great memories though like the time Ole Miss with Archie Manning came down to Tampa and won a high scoring, at least for that time, one point squeaker.

I am with Joe on this one.

USF will never have sustained success for the reasons stated as well as the fact that USF typically recruits the 2-3 star level guys along with a handful of 3-4 star guys that usually brought baggage with them.
The 2-3 star guys are better than the athletes at nearly every lame school on their schedule while the 3-4 star baggage guys seem to flame out as often as not.

Charlie should enjoy the ride because it will not last

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator