Chatter Golf Sub-Forum

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WTF are
You starting on 14? What kind of Tournament?
:
So much for you natural ________
I believe what ‘46 is saying is that along with a pro to tighten up his fundamentals and give him something he could go to when things started breaking down, he also needed someone to help him with the mental side of the game, particularly from a confidence standpoint. Sadly, it seems he got neither. Golf is a game that can’t be played well, if at all, amidst self-loathing. Of course, had he listened to the guy at age 16 and played the fade, we likely wouldn’t be having this conversation.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WTF are
You starting on 14? What kind of Tournament?
:
So much for you natural ________

I just played but not in tournaments. That came later. Not much to crow about either. As opposed to my college room mate who was winning junior tournies at 14 and 15 and shooting in the 60's.

I was or 14 years old maybe 13 years old when I got serious. I don't remember. I do remember my very first golf shot. It was at a driving range. They gave me some moldy old club out of the grab a club bag. There was the ball. There was the club in my hand. One very hard swing and I made contact with the ground not the ball, and broke that moldy ol' club into two pieces. I must have been 10 at the time. Must have been a sign that my "career" was doomed from the beginning.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I believe what ‘46 is saying is that along with a pro to tighten up his fundamentals and give him something he could go to when things started breaking down, he also needed someone to help him with the mental side of the game, particularly from a confidence standpoint. Sadly, it seems he got neither. Golf is a game that can’t be played well, if at all, amidst self-loathing. Of course, had he listened to the guy at age 16 and played the fade, we likely wouldn’t be having this conversation.

The worst part was that back then if you picked up golf digest, there were 50 different theories on how you should swing. I devoured every theory. Back then some of them were just flat wrong. I tried everything. It probably screwed up my head. I had so many swing thoughts in my head, I'm surprised I could start my backswing. Somehow in spite of it all i mastered iron play.. I was really good. Put a wood in my hand and I started to sweat bullets, that thing was either going to go long and hit the fairway or land in another country.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Some of the trees at Augusta National don't look too good. Weather or what.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think I ever hit a hosel rocket. I did plenty of other really bad things, top it, scull it, fat it, whiff it in the rough, snap hook it, push it into a parking lot, you name it, but never that.

When I started playing golf again after a long long layoff, I actually managed to hit a putt fat. I had just drilled an iron to within 5 feet of the pin and hit the freaking putt fat. How does anyone do that? To this day I remember it. I was playing with a pro. He didn't say a word...thank God.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some of the early forecasts are calling for windy conditions. If that holds, the scores will stay in the single digits most likely. That considered, I’ve got some questions for you:
  • Who’s the biggest positive surprise thus far?
  • Who’s the biggest disappointment?
  • Who comes out on top after all is said and done?
I know it’s still early, but Tiger would be most’s answer to the first. It is remarkable what he’s doing, but I’m not expecting the fairy tale ending. Though Danny Willet is a past winner, and it can be argued that Spieth lost it more than Willet won it, he’s done not much since and maybe if his putting streak continues and he can manage the course and elements, he truly might be the biggest surprise.

Biggest disappointment has to be Justin Thomas. Favored by many to win it, he’s off to a dismal start and it seems like his putting malaise hasn’t subsided. You’d think he’s too good to stay behind Sheffler, et al, but he hasn’t won in a while and it doesn’t look like Augusta will be the place it all turns around. Next on the list would be Spieth. His putting has simply abandoned him.

If I had to bet today, I’d probably pick DJ, and not because of his length off the tee. Rather, I think his short game, to include wedge play, has gotten much better over the last several years and it’s easy to get the feel that maybe he’s hungry again. We’ll see. If not him, I wouldn’t be scared to bet on Cam Smith. Definitely the worst haircut on tour, but maybe the guy you’d want to make a putt if your life depended on it.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tiger's got to be the big surprise so far. He could have easily hit -3 yesterday. Cheering for Eldrick, Varner, DJ, Morikawa and Zalatoris.
Disappointed in Billy the Gator. He had been playing pretty well coming in. The wheels have fallen off Billy's game after starting the tourney birdie birdie. He's currently +5 after 12 and not likely to make the cut.
DJ scrambled his ass off yesterday to score what he did. Fun to watch. And like @cover2 said, look out for Cam Smith; can be deadly if he stays focused. He doubled #1 and #18 yesterday and still finished -4.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
With the way this wind is altering shots, I STRONGLY recommend hitting putter off the tee

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I pretty sure I just saw a guy hit a 3 wood out of the green side bunker into the wind.

And come up short.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sharing an observation on Tiger…the extent of his lower leg injuries are well known and I can only imagine the amount of rehab time he’s put in to just be able to support his body weight and walk unassisted, much less play competitive golf. He has a noticeable limp and I had to chuckle at one of the announcers who offered that it was “a pain-free” limp. Maybe, but he’s having to compensate for something that still isn’t, and may never be, working properly, whether it is an altered or restricted range of motion or weight bearing. Impressive to me, however, is how bulked and strong Tiger is from the waist up, seemingly more so than ever before even though he was always extremely fit and strong. Best guess is that it is also compensatory for the lost strength in his lower body where the golf swing is concerned. Again pretty remarkable physically, but also mentally. A lot of guys his age who had accomplished less would have called it a career. But as good as Tiger was physically and mechanically, I would argue that his greatest strength was mental and that’s what’s keeping him going.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Billy got it turned around and made 3 birdies on the back 9 to shoot 33 and looks to make the cut at +3 (projected cut is +4, which could go to +5 the way things are trending). Tiger struggling at +3 right now and needing to right the ship. Matsuyama making a charge to start the day currently tied for the lead at -3. Lot of golf left to go.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Americans love a fighter...

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Shefler and JT on fire today. Tiger finally got it going after struggling early, then didn’t, then did again, 6 bogies on the day. Not out of it, but he can’t have 6 bogies the rest of the weekend if he wants to be in the hunt.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
F that dwag.
That dwag and his wife have done more for the community and local youth groups, including funding First Tee activities and paying every kids entry fee to the areas largest junior tournament, than our hometown Emmitt ever thought about doing. He made a bad school choice, but the person is a real good guy.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That dwag and his wife have done more for the community and local youth groups, including funding First Tee activities and paying every kids entry fee to the areas largest junior tournament, than our hometown Emmitt ever thought about doing. He made a bad school choice, but the person is a real good guy.
He’s still a fuching dwag.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He’s still a fuching dwag.
tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.