Chatter Golf Sub-Forum

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Zambo there was a time I would’ve looked forward to playing such a long and tough course, but I’m well passed that now. Like you I marvel at how good those guys really are. Hitting 300+ off the tee ACCURATELY is just amazing to me at my age. I do enjoy the majors where they’re penalized for slopping it around and emphasizes strategy often over brute strength.
Yeah I'm pretty lucky that at 55 I can still poke it out there pretty good, hit a couple over 300 yesterday in fact. But the accuracy these guys have is amazing. I had a rough day off the tee and hit 4 tee balls out of play, 2 of which were OB. I think I read something recently where Calvin Peete only hit 2 balls OB in like a 15 year span or something like that. :eek3:

I'm a 5 handicap and I think the best score I ever had at TP was like an 82...usually I was closer to 90. Par, double bogey, par, double bogey...lather rinse repeat.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I think I read something recently where Calvin Peete only hit 2 balls OB in like a 15 year span or something like that. :eek3:
Oh, the things dreams are made of. That is an incredible stat.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I'm pretty lucky that at 55 I can still poke it out there pretty good, hit a couple over 300 yesterday in fact. But the accuracy these guys have is amazing. I had a rough day off the tee and hit 4 tee balls out of play, 2 of which were OB. I think I read something recently where Calvin Peete only hit 2 balls OB in like a 15 year span or something like that. :eek3:

I'm a 5 handicap and I think the best score I ever had at TP was like an 82...usually I was closer to 90. Par, double bogey, par, double bogey...lather rinse repeat.
The course we play at here regularly is what the University practices on so the girls team will be out or the boys team. The girls play from the tees we play, which are the blues, and the boys play the tips. It’s incredible what these athletes can do and helps to put into perspective what the Pros are doing on tv.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I had it wrong about Calvin Peete....the story is that in his entire pro career he only hit ONE ball OB. Led the tour in driving accuracy ten years in a row.

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I had it wrong about Calvin Peete....the story is that in his entire pro career he only hit ONE ball OB. Led the tour in driving accuracy ten years in a row.

Well that makes me feel worse. My best round matched Peete's entire career....one ball OB. :headslap:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Any of you guys ever go to GolfTec? Do they have GolfTec on the east coast?

On a similar note, anybody ever put a legit golf sim at their house? I have a net with a cheap launch monitor that gives distance figures, launch angle etc but not advanced stuff like spin rate etc. I was thinking about putting a hitting screen with a projector in the rumpus room though. I've seen some pretty creative golf setups for the ol' man cave and it might be a fun project.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

On a similar note, anybody ever put a legit golf sim at their house? I have a net with a cheap launch monitor that gives distance figures, launch angle etc but not advanced stuff like spin rate etc. I was thinking about putting a hitting screen with a projector in the rumpus room though. I've seen some pretty creative golf setups for the ol' man cave and it might be a fun project.
Had a parent of one of the high school golfers that had a primo set up in his garage. Would love to have something like that with the multiple course layouts, shot tracing, yardages and graphics, but can’t pull the trigger right now.

Not familiar with Golf Tec over on this side, but have used the club fitting setup that included launch monitors, etc. at Dick’s that was pretty good. The one in Gainesville had a pretty good tech running theirs and helped me with info on swing speeds, shaft flexes, etc. based on info gleaned in their cage/monitor setup.

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018
Changing the subject a bit, what in the hell is wrong with Billy Horschel? It seems his game has dropped off quite a bit. Any of you Floridians got any ideas?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Had a parent of one of the high school golfers that had a primo set up in his garage. Would love to have something like that with the multiple course layouts, shot tracing, yardages and graphics, but can’t pull the trigger right now.

Not familiar with Golf Tec over on this side, but have used the club fitting setup that included launch monitors, etc. at Dick’s that was pretty good. The one in Gainesville had a pretty good tech running theirs and helped me with info on swing speeds, shaft flexes, etc. based on info gleaned in their cage/monitor setup.
Basically it is a fully instrumented teaching center. The software they use is pretty cool, it automatically maps out all your pivot points (knees, shoulders, hips, elbows, etc). Then it breaks down your swing into I think 6 or seven different parts (position one is when the shaft is parallel to the ground on takeaway, position 2 is when the left arm is parallel to the ground on takeaway, etc) and can tell through each one of those points how all your angles are lining up. For me its pretty easy to see at address how my shoulders are too open, then at position one my hands are too far out in front of me, etc.

All of these numbers are put up on the screen corners in little boxes that turn green/yellow/red when they get too far out of whack. If it sounds like it makes everything too complicated, I actually found it to be the opposite of that. In any event you have an instructor who goes over it with you and shows you how turning a little more here and a little less there brings all the numbers back into the green.

You can get lesson packages that include practice sessions as well where you just go in and work by yourself on the stuff you've learned. The monitors are set up so you can control everything pretty easy. There is a big bank of large plastic buttons next to the hitting surface that you can touch with your club to control the camera and video playback. Pretty slick. Especially on a day like today where it was pouring rain but I still could go take my lesson and do a practice session.
iu

iu

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Basically it is a fully instrumented teaching center. The software they use is pretty cool, it automatically maps out all your pivot points (knees, shoulders, hips, elbows, etc). Then it breaks down your swing into I think 6 or seven different parts (position one is when the shaft is parallel to the ground on takeaway, position 2 is when the left arm is parallel to the ground on takeaway, etc) and can tell through each one of those points how all your angles are lining up. For me its pretty easy to see at address how my shoulders are too open, then at position one my hands are too far out in front of me, etc.

All of these numbers are put up on the screen corners in little boxes that turn green/yellow/red when they get too far out of whack. If it sounds like it makes everything too complicated, I actually found it to be the opposite of that. In any event you have an instructor who goes over it with you and shows you how turning a little more here and a little less there brings all the numbers back into the green.

You can get lesson packages that include practice sessions as well where you just go in and work by yourself on the stuff you've learned. The monitors are set up so you can control everything pretty easy. There is a big bank of large plastic buttons next to the hitting surface that you can touch with your club to control the camera and video playback. Pretty slick. Especially on a day like today where it was pouring rain but I still could go take my lesson and do a practice session.
iu

iu
Dang nice setup and a step beyond anything I’ve experienced, though I’ve watched some videos on reinforcing the key angles at important intervals of the swing. Being able to both “feel” the correct positions as well as “see them” is a great learning and reinforcement tool. Combine that with the feedback you get on distance, trajectory, flight path, etc. over and over and getting better is elevated beyond just a dream. Thanks for sharing my man!

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017

Never been to one, but there are a couple in the Orlando area.

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017
Changing the subject a bit, what in the hell is wrong with Billy Horschel? It seems his game has dropped off quite a bit. Any of you Floridians got any ideas?
He made some bad swing changes at the end of 2022, beginning 2023. He's been trying to fight his back to his old swing since he shot 82 at the Memorial last May.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@Zambo

We have a GolfTec here. I was gifted a package of lessons one year. Went to 5 lessons and I felt like the most important thing to the instructor was to sell me new clubs. Yes, that is part of their service and it’s incentive to them.

I have one friend who’s a scratch golfer who went for some lessons and the instructor told him that his swing makes no sense and no way he could be as low of a handicap as his is. The censors should just be Red, Red, Red all the way to impact where it immediately switched to green.

I have another friend who went there for a year, religiously, and hit brought him down from a 16-18 handicap to a 6.

I have another friend who has a setup with a Trackman but dang those things cost about $25k to get started.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Zambo

We have a GolfTec here. I was gifted a package of lessons one year. Went to 5 lessons and I felt like the most important thing to the instructor was to sell me new clubs. Yes, that is part of their service and it’s incentive to them.

I have one friend who’s a scratch golfer who went for some lessons and the instructor told him that his swing makes no sense and no way he could be as low of a handicap as his is. The censors should just be Red, Red, Red all the way to impact where it immediately switched to green.

I have another friend who went there for a year, religiously, and hit brought him down from a 16-18 handicap to a 6.

I have another friend who has a setup with a Trackman but dang those things cost about $25k to get started.
There is definitely a sales job that comes with it, they are there to make money for sure. I just listen politely and say I'll think about it. I imagine all the instructors get a commission on selling clubs and lesson packages. My guy hasn't really tried to do the hard sell. He can certainly walk the walk WRT the coaching.

I'd imagine if Furyk or Bryson or even Freddy Couples got on the analyzer it would tell them to change all kinds of things. The only thing that is important at the end of the day is delivering the clubhead into the back of the ball on the correct path. Lots of ways to get there. For us mere mortals, getting coached into a repeatable set of checkpoints which can then become a 'feel' is a step in the right direction. Frankly after spending some time looking at my swing I'm amazed I can ever par a hole. In just 2 lessons though I've changed my takeaway substantially and on the monitor at least it has lead to much better consistency, length and dispersion. I've been a 4-6 index for years and no matter how many balls I beat to death on the range I can't get any better so I'm gonna try this deal for a while and see if it helps.

As for the launch monitor, there are plenty of pretty nice home sim builds that, all in, cost less than a third of what a trackman costs. Some fairly moderately priced monitors now have some pretty darn accurate data. Here's one guy's sim build that is much more realistic budget-wise for us peons.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Zambo questions for you about the California golfing experience, specifically Pebble Beach. I’m assuming you’ve played it. Is it worth the cost to play it once and is the rough as difficult to play out of as I’ve heard? Seems like the “ice plant” gets brought up by the couple of guys I know that have played the course. Putting together a bucket list of sorts and a couple of famous golf courses would be neat additions. Thanks!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Zambo questions for you about the California golfing experience, specifically Pebble Beach. I’m assuming you’ve played it. Is it worth the cost to play it once and is the rough as difficult to play out of as I’ve heard? Seems like the “ice plant” gets brought up by the couple of guys I know that have played the course. Putting together a bucket list of sorts and a couple of famous golf courses would be neat additions. Thanks!
Never played Pebble. I think its currently about 5 or 6 hundred bucks a round at least. All I've ever done is drive the road that loops around the area, 17 mile drive. I think you can get a package to stay at Pebble or Spanish Bay for 3 nights which include a round at Pebble, a round at Spyglass, and a round at Spanish Bay for about a grand per night per golfer.

I have no idea how much ice plant they have around those courses, but that stuff really sucks to try and hit out of. Also not sure how much they grow out the rough at different times of the year. I know when I see the rough at Torrey Pines during the Farmers its a lot higher than it usually is of course.

Keep in mind if you decide to go to Monterrey that it gets quite moist and chilly there. The rest of the country can be 90 degrees out and that place will still be in the high 60s. You can also make a pretty good trip out of San Diego with Torrey Pines, La Costa, Aviara and some other cool courses available. Or don't forget Palm Springs in the winter, the courses there are excellent.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Never played Pebble. I think its currently about 5 or 6 hundred bucks a round at least. All I've ever done is drive the road that loops around the area, 17 mile drive. I think you can get a package to stay at Pebble or Spanish Bay for 3 nights which include a round at Pebble, a round at Spyglass, and a round at Spanish Bay for about a grand per night per golfer.

I have no idea how much ice plant they have around those courses, but that stuff really sucks to try and hit out of. Also not sure how much they grow out the rough at different times of the year. I know when I see the rough at Torrey Pines during the Farmers its a lot higher than it usually is of course.

Keep in mind if you decide to go to Monterrey that it gets quite moist and chilly there. The rest of the country can be 90 degrees out and that place will still be in the high 60s. You can also make a pretty good trip out of San Diego with Torrey Pines, La Costa, Aviara and some other cool courses available. Or don't forget Palm Springs in the winter, the courses there are excellent.
I appreciate the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator