Coach Mac's impact on recruiting this current class

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Many saw his presser earlier today. With what he's done in the past in FL recruiting with BAMA, MSU, UL seems to have some deep relationships here. Any potential Gator recruit or heck any kid that saw that today had to take notice. As he said, "if you want to win championships come to UF". Not to mention with depth issues some could see some immediate PT. I see him having a great recruiting class.

As always, discuss.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm optimistic that he can bring in a top 15 class.

Fingers crossed.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's very late in the season to get much of a swing. We'll land a few surprises, but unfortunately this class is pretty much set. Even Meyer who was a very hot name at the time of his hiring had trouble making much movement in his first class. The guys he'll impress most with recruiting this year are the underclassmen he meets with. Building next year's class starts Monday. Eventually, we start pulling who we want, but not this year.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
Jucos and 3 stars will make up the bulk of this class. Bill Snyder has done quite well in this arena. It can be done if you do your homework. Highly ranked recruiting classes don't guarantee success.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Like that he created the idea that it's expected for an HC to turn 2*,3* players into successes. The news-folk
recreated the fact that he did that at CSU = top stats QB and WR.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n126690 said:
Like that he created the idea that it's expected for an HC to turn 2*,3* players into successes. The news-folk
recreated the fact that he did that at CSU = top stats QB and WR.

That's right. We've needed a coach that can "coach" and hopefully he'll be the one that can not only evaluate the talent but get it to perform like they did at CSU.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just want him to "re-land" the ones that opened up their recruiting when it was announced that WM was leaving and the ones that were second-guessing us because of our losses this year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BoomTown;n126675 said:
It's very late in the season to get much of a swing. We'll land a few surprises, but unfortunately this class is pretty much set. Even Meyer who was a very hot name at the time of his hiring had trouble making much movement in his first class. The guys he'll impress most with recruiting this year are the underclassmen he meets with. Building next year's class starts Monday. Eventually, we start pulling who we want, but not this year.
Playmakers are mostly committed by now. EEs especially. I know we may still land a couple of 5 star types. That will be nice, of course...especially Ivie.

That being said, we have some depth on the DL. I'd be much more impressed with him grabbing a few Juco OL than about anything including adding 5 star DEs. Transfers (graduate) and Jucos, the more the merrier on the OL and at LB.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Phineus Maximus;126694 said:
I just want him to "re-land" the ones that opened up their recruiting when it was announced that WM was leaving and the ones that were second-guessing us because of our losses this year.
I really do see this as a possibility.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Expected.

@BruceFeldmanCFB: Gifted dual-threat QB from SoCal. RT @RyanBartow BREAKING: Four-star QB Sheriron Jones de-commits from #Florida.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Recruit Florida. Screw everywhere but the south and especially screw California. We've seen repeatedly that California 5 stars are 3 stars.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
TN G8tr;n126643 said:
Many saw his presser earlier today. With what he's done in the past in FL recruiting with BAMA, MSU, UL seems to have some deep relationships here. Any potential Gator recruit or heck any kid that saw that today had to take notice. As he said, "if you want to win championships come to UF". Not to mention with depth issues some could see some immediate PT. I see him having a great recruiting class.

As always, discuss.
Agree completely. His speaking style and interpersonal skills are off the charts. Compare Mack's relaxed confidence and humor to Saban's "I haven't had a BM in about a week and a half" grimace, or Jimbo's "ahh shucks, we ain't too smart, but you don't have to be at FSU". This guy will be able to compete on the recruiting trail with anyone.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@onlygators: #Gators have now lost three of their four highest-rated commitments. Florida down to eight for 2015, one consensus four-star recruit.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
His advantage over the first year of Meyer's tenure is that he already knows how to get to Miami Killian or Orlando Edgewater or Lakeland High, etc. Sounds like his Florida relationships predate his Alabama days by a pretty good margin.

Some of you are also spot on when you say it's about coaching up the guys you already have on your team. Shane Matthews is a great example of finding a standout player already on the roster but stuck way down the depth chart.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like JM but I'm not optimistic about recruiting this year. I'll be very surprised if we get into the top 25.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bring in juco OL and LB by the truckload and build for next year's recruiting class. Always rough that first year of transition, even worse since Muschamp left us huge, gaping holes in the roster. I feel good about Coach Mac's ability to bring in good classes going forward.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
I Have No Friends :(;n126743 said:
Bring in juco OL and LB by the truckload and build for next year's recruiting class. Always rough that first year of transition, even worse since Muschamp left us huge, gaping holes in the roster. I feel good about Coach Mac's ability to bring in good classes going forward.

And people still think he should've been retained. :kick:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The difference in this class to other transition classes is that recruits saw this coming. We had several recruits waiting to see who the coach was going to be. Some are heavy guys. Now they know who are guy is, and hopefully who the assistants will be. If Durkin, TRob, Lawing and Summers stay, we'll get a lot of dominoes to drop our way. I don't expect a top 5 class, but this could get interesting if momentum starts building for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator