Coaching has changed

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I listened to it. I had those coaches he talked about. Coaches were GOD. Their rules were etched in stone, sweat and blood. I said as much about children. Schools have changed not kids.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
The coaches have changed because the parents have changed. Too much interference, too little parental guidance. When coach says Johnny isn't meeting the standard, the parents don't back the coach up. Happens not only in sports, but all parts of the kids life..

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
When my son played, before the season even started, I told the coach to coach him hard and hold him to the highest standard. Pansies are changing sports.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I listened to it. I had those coaches he talked about. Coaches were GOD. Their rules were etched in stone, sweat and blood. I said as much about children. Schools have changed not kids.

The irony is rich.

Deon talking about the old days when if you broke the rules, you didn't play.

Meanwhile there is an NCAA "Deon" rule because he broke the rules but was allowed to play.

The lack of self-awareness is breathtaking.

iu

Alex.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
I can't disagree that the pendulum has swung too far toward the "participation trophy" culture, but I also watched a show recently that profiled Woody Hayes and some other old school coaches whose behaviors were completely out of control. Bear Bryant's initial preseason practices during his stint at Texas A&M, for instance, bordered on the kind of abuse that you'd expect from a prison camp. Again, I am not arguing that the current state of affairs is appropriate. I'm just saying that the motivation behind these trends was a reaction to the pendulum being really out of whack in the other direction.

Unfortunately, the one constant between these eras is that the common sense that should regulate these situations remains in very scarce supply.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Not a Deion fan but he is 100% correct.

Back in the day, we complied with every rule or we watched the games from the sidelines. Moreover, we lost 3-4 of our best players in a couple of years because they refused to take care of their business on and off the field. Period.

Imagine a high school team today dismissing a few really good players over things like being chronically late to meetings or not paying attention in class. No coach would survive it.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
The irony is rich.

Meanwhile there is an NCAA "Deon" rule because he broke the rules but was allowed to play.

iu

Alex.

I believe you’re referring to a state of FL rule for public universities, not the ncaa. But yes, it’s nickname is “The deon Rule” for a reason.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The irony is rich.

iu

Alex.

Hypocrisy will be an olympic sport soon, and a lot of people have been training for years.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The irony is rich.

iu

Alex.
I knew the blowback using Deon would be harsh but after reading what team mates said about him I learned what you saw
was different than he was at practice and in locker rooms. His message is good.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's hard for me to separate the message from the messenger. My most lasting memories of Deion Sanders begin with going to our game in Tallahassee his last year and while standing outside waiting for the gates to open, here he comes driving up in a limo and gets out with a white tux, hat, and cane. Of course it was common knowledge that he never attended class that fall semester, but kept on playing (your "Deion Rule"). Prior to that, I recall him being arrested one summer in Ft. Meyers for stealing (jewelry I think) from a local store in a mall or shopping center. Great character guy as far as I was concerned :whistle:. He was fast, had good ball skills and instincts, and was quite the returner, but he hit like a snowflake and ran his mouth constantly. I'd almost rather lose with better people than win with him. And as far as his message goes, he left out today's parents, many of whom are no more than pimps and parasites where their children and sports are concerned. The hell with him.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's hard for me to separate the message from the messenger. My most lasting memories of Deion Sanders begin with going to our game in Tallahassee his last year and while standing outside waiting for the gates to open, here he comes driving up in a limo and gets out with a white tux, hat, and cane. Of course it was common knowledge that he never attended class that fall semester, but kept on playing (your "Deion Rule"). Prior to that, I recall him being arrested one summer in Ft. Meyers for stealing (jewelry I think) from a local store in a mall or shopping center. Great character guy as far as I was concerned :whistle:. He was fast, had good ball skills and instincts, and was quite the returner, but he hit like a snowflake and ran his mouth constantly. I'd almost rather lose with better people than win with him. And as far as his message goes, he left out today's parents, many of whom are no more than pimps and parasites where their children and sports are concerned. The hell with him.

F him and the horse he rode in on.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The irony is rich.

Added to this: Deon was easily one of the earliest examples of the "look at me" types of athletes who wanted to be as flashy and loud (in personality, clothing, and speech). It's laughable to the extreme that he's decrying the state of things given he played no small part in how things got to where they are.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To this day Deon’s GPA is so low he has no chance of graduating anywhere, ever. He has been mentioned for many college assistant coaching jobs as recently as the nulls, but has no college degree.

The Deon Rule was indeed passed by the Florida Legislature stating that you had to attend class in order to be eligible to play. Blobby didn’t care at all.

Deon avoided hitting at all costs even in the NFL.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
To this day Deon’s GPA is so low he has no chance of graduating anywhere, ever. He has been mentioned for many college assistant coaching jobs as recently as the nulls, but has no college degree.

The Deon Rule was indeed passed by the Florida Legislature stating that you had to attend class in order to be eligible to play. Blobby didn’t care at all.

Deon avoided hitting at all costs even in the NFL.

Yep. Saint blobby, my ass. He was a fraud.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Lol, perfect timing, I was having lunch today and the booth behind me was a group talking about why they can’t keep a good volleyball coach. One pipes up, because our parents are crazy and one year is enough for any sane person.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The toughest coaches are the ones you wanted to play for....the ones you still remember and still talk about as if it was a badge of honor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator