Coaching has changed

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
F, Prime Time and anything Null. IMO he is still a POS that was blessed to have talent. Hard to like an asshat like that.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
no more than pimps and parasites where their children and sports are concerned.

It's sad, but that is my experience too, coach. If there's a whiff of success with a kid, the parent makes it all about themselves and sometimes actually talks about the kid - in the kid's presence - like he is the meal ticket for the family. And I coach middle school kids....

I'm from working-class roots. I remember there being days when my dad would be gone before I would wake up and I'd hear him trudge in long after I was in bed. He knew he was what was keeping us fed and housed and he put in the long hours needed to make sure it happened. It was only as an adult that I could grasp the kind of stress that puts on a grown man. Can you imagine what that does to a child? For every one that gets to be the family hero there are thousands that don't make it. After being raised that way, can you even imagine what that kid carries for the rest of his life? It's disgusting and shameful.

I'm a throwback and the rest of the staff is too. It makes it easier to deal with nonsense when there is a unified front. As we're rural, there is a greater than cultural norm respect for authority, which I'm sure helps. That's not to say there aren't issues. This season we already "fired" parents and their kid because toxic attitudes towards the rules. It is tough in public schools though - for sure - if the administration doesn't back your play you're going to be left with your ass flagging in the wind.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's sad, but that is my experience too, coach. If there's a whiff of success with a kid, the parent makes it all about themselves and sometimes actually talks about the kid - in the kid's presence - like he is the meal ticket for the family. And I coach middle school kids....

I'm from working-class roots. I remember there being days when my dad would be gone before I would wake up and I'd hear him trudge in long after I was in bed. He knew he was what was keeping us fed and housed and he put in the long hours needed to make sure it happened. It was only as an adult that I could grasp the kind of stress that puts on a grown man. Can you imagine what that does to a child? For every one that gets to be the family hero there are thousands that don't make it. After being raised that way, can you even imagine what that kid carries for the rest of his life? It's disgusting and shameful.

I'm a throwback and the rest of the staff is too. It makes it easier to deal with nonsense when there is a unified front. As we're rural, there is a greater than cultural norm respect for authority, which I'm sure helps. That's not to say there aren't issues. This season we already "fired" parents and their kid because toxic attitudes towards the rules. It is tough in public schools though - for sure - if the administration doesn't back your play you're going to be left with your ass flagging in the wind.
Great post! First of all, I want to encourage you to keep doing what you are doing where the middle school kids are concerned. That level was my first entry into coaching and I not only had a blast (some of the most rewarding coaching times I have had), but felt like it was my responsibility to develop character and work ethic. During those years (90's) it was rare to have a parent come fuss about anything going on where the coaching and playing was concerned. Today it's a different story altogether. Seems like every kid is going to be a major leaguer, NBA lottery pick, or an NFL All-Pro. With these kids and their parents, the coach is looked upon more as an obstacle. In that regard, too many kids can't be coached hard and properly. It's a shame because that is part of what has allowed me the modicum of success I have experienced in my life. The best lessons sports used to teach you was finish the drill, when you get knocked down, get up and keep fighting, and luck eventually runs out, but hard work always pays off. I don't believe as many people subscribe to that nowadays as need be.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
First of all, I want to encourage you to keep doing what you are doing where the middle school kids are concerned.

Many moons ago I worked with a high school in southern Alabama in the life prior to the swarms of children I had with Mrs. Finger, but for the past forevers I've been coaching kids in middle school. I love the age group. The way I see it most of them in 7th grade typically just need a nudge to the rudder to get them on a much better course for life because they've got more room to make the turn. The correction gets steeper and more difficult the older they get. Next year will be the first year I tackle a much younger group as the long time coach for the elementary age kids in our area is stepping down and I've been asked to step up. As my youngest is of this age it turns out I was voluntold for the job by the woman of the house. Et tu, wife-ey? I hope most of it translates down well.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I’ve coached high school basketball for 10 years and middle school for 11 years before that. For me the biggest change has been the parents and their expectations in playing time. I tell my parents in my preseason meeting that we can “talk” about playing time at the appropriate time. However it cannot ever be framed as a complaint...by parent or player. I make it clear that my only reaction to any complaint about playing time is to immediately reduce said playing time. I don’t give an inch on that and it works.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
The toughest coaches are the ones you wanted to play for....the ones you still remember and still talk about as if it was a badge of honor.
Add the life-changing teacher and the character building NCO to that list as well. It's a privilege to lead - and in some instances, an even greater one to follow.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Add the life-changing teacher and the character building NCO to that list as well. It's a privilege to lead - and in some instances, an even greater one to follow.

Well stated, Sir. I have benefited greatly from several awe-inspiring leaders in my lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator