Coaching Philosophy: Franks vs Henderson

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
I completely understand when coaches try to limit the mistakes of their young QB's. You don't want costly turnovers, and you also don't want to crush the fragile confidence of a youngster. However, many of us have pointed out that Franks is never going to develop unless the coaches give him some leash to run with.

I think the final play of the TN game is very telling. Not just about Franks, but our offensive mindset. That play "worked" because it wasn't the play it was supposed to be. First of all, every knew we were playing for overtime, or possibly a long EP field goal. The play was a success for two reasons. First it wasn't predictable because Franks improvised. Nobody expected us to go deep and that's why it worked. Secondly, Franks was actually free to make a decision and air it out (even though that wasn't the intent).

So why did I bring up Henderson? The coaches seem perfectly okay with him being thrown into the fire. He's gonna get burned. He's gonna cost us points. But by throwing him into the fire he's also been able to score more points than Franks had prior to the game winning TD. Our freshman DB has the same amount of TD's that our starting QB has. Think about that... The coaches are letting him go out there and showcase his talent along with taking some licks along the way and I'd say it's been pretty darn successful so far. The question is, why don't we do that with Franks?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There's a little bit of a difference between the two. #1 We have an experienced starter QB on the roster (LDR), yet Franks is our starter this year...so far. #2 We have no choice but to play Freshmen at DB. We're that thin with the injuries to Harris and now Dawson.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
After watching the press conference, Mac said many times they need to play with the mindset it's OK to make mistakes. Mac and Nuss have always liked the don't make mistakes game manager type QB. But maybe Mac realizes for Franks to develop they have to just let him play and open it up. Of course I'll believe when I see.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
After watching the press conference, Mac said many times they need to play with the mindset it's OK to make mistakes. Mac and Nuss have always liked the don't make mistakes game manager type QB. But maybe Mac realizes for Franks to develop they have to just let him play and open it up. Of course I'll believe when I see.
he's just throwing crap out there to see if it sticks. He doesnt even know what he's talking about in those pressers. There's not going to be any noticeable changes. Mac and Nuss are married to this garage sale offensive strategy.

Last edited:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Heard an analyst one time say that it is easier to get on the field earlier in your career, the further your position is from the ball. Does seem to be some truth that.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Heard an analyst one time say that it is easier to get on the field earlier in your career, the further your position is from the ball. Does seem to be some truth that.

The further you are from the ball, more your natural talent can adjust then technique is what I've heard. 5 OL have to work together, 1 wide receiver has know what only what his job is. Linebackers and DL have to work together, a corner just has to know what his job is.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
I think the first touchdown drive was very important to the confidence of Franks and the team. The play calling mixed things up. They missed a shot at the end zone but then came back, strung a couple of first downs together, and then scored on a short TD pass. Multiple players moved the rock and it went just like it was supposed to. Three or four drives like that against Kentucky with some good defense will win the game. Build on it, Gators.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator