Commit Randy Russell: “I talked to all the commits and we decided to stick together no matter what"

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
(thread worthy news):

How interim coach Randy Shannon plans to keep Florida’s class in tact

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/randy-shannon-florida-recruiting-class

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The majority of Florida commits reacted to the news Sunday in the same fashion.

They didn’t want to talk about Jim McElwain and they’re still committed to the Gators football program — for now.

Florida interim coach Randy Shannon felt the same way.

“I haven’t talked to one recruit yet,” Shannon said during his Monday press conference. “Yesterday was a whirlwind.”

Fortunately for the Gators, their 2018 recruiting class hasn’t been wrecked yet. One prospect willing to speak on the situation was UF safety commit Randy Russell.

“I talked to all the commits and we decided to stick together no matter what,” Russell said.

Nonetheless, opposing coaches will be coming after Florida’s commits over the next 72 hours. Shannon plans to speak with a dozen priority recruits on Monday night.

“About 11 or 12 that are tagged and just communicate with them that the reason why you come to the University of Florida is because it’s Florida,” Shannon said.

Russell added that while he loved McElwain, he committed to the ‘logo’ and everything the program has to offer. He believes other class members share his viewpoint.

As Florida commits wait for the new hire and consider their back-up options, Shannon will continue to sell what Russell is banking on.

“A lot of times student athletes recruiting get involved in is the coach, but it’s the school, it’s the academic presence that Florida brings, it’s the family atmosphere that Florida brings,” Shannon said. “Those are high quality things that I think that every parent and every student athlete want.

“They want to have a family, they want to have great academics and they want to be able to compete at a high level and have people that care about them. That’s what the University of Florida is about.”

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Shannon can help keep the class together. I hope Spurrier is allowed to contribute to keeping the class too.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I am of the firm belief Mac being gone will only help our recruiting....book it Dan-o

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Shannon sounding very different these days. Still having trouble buying what a um player and coach is selling on behalf of Gator Nation right now.

Edit: but I certainly appreciate what he’s saying right now.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
With SOW down and Miami likely heading into a 2 game losing streak, now's the time to keep what we have and move on some more top targets. Sell them on the fact that we are heading back to the top of the SEC with or without them, but this is their opportunity to get in on the ground floor, that they will love the new coach but we aren't allowed to talk about who it is then ask them, "by the way, is it just me or is it cold in here?"

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just out of curiosity, let me ask this: Suppose hypothetically that Striklin has already told Kelly the job is his if he wants it. And further suppose that Kelly, without announcing it or signing anything, has agreed to it. Could Kelly go out and start visiting recruits without running afoul of recruiting rules? Is there anything preventing an unemployed private citizen from paying friendly visits to promising young high school athletes?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Could Kelly go out and start visiting recruits without running afoul of recruiting rules? Is there anything preventing an unemployed private citizen from paying friendly visits to promising young high school athletes?

:dunno:

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just out of curiosity, let me ask this: Suppose hypothetically that Striklin has already told Kelly the job is his if he wants it. And further suppose that Kelly, without announcing it or signing anything, has agreed to it. Could Kelly go out and start visiting recruits without running afoul of recruiting rules? Is there anything preventing an unemployed private citizen from paying friendly visits to promising young high school athletes?
I think UM did it for OSU.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Why would he ageee and not sign anything? I think he should be under contract before he does anything for the university.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

I think you have to be employed by the school.

@ Knox - Not positive, but I think um had signed a contract while fickle coached the last (bowl?) game, leaving urbs completely free to go tell a hundred recruits they were the next Percy or Timmy.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why would he ageee and not sign anything? .
For exactly the reason I stated....so he can be free of restrictions on contacting recruits. Also, to let the current coaches finish the season without his shadow looming over them. And finally, to keep other schools guessing about which way we are heading.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
There's still a long ways to go and anything can happen but everyone that said to keep Mac another year just because of the class...

:exactly::exactly::exactly::exactly::exactly::exactly::exactly:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's a few Crystal Ball's showing up w/ Chase going to Alabama. I really hope that kid sticks. We've been getting beat for any kid w/ a pulse in the Pensacola area for nearly 10 years now. I hope this next hire makes this kid want to stick w/ his commitment.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
There's a few Crystal Ball's showing up w/ Chase going to Alabama. I really hope that kid sticks. We've been getting beat for any kid w/ a pulse in the Pensacola area for nearly 10 years now. I hope this next hire makes this kid want to stick w/ his commitment.
You're going to see a lot of CBS for our recruits for no reason other than nobody thinks we are keeping anyone

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Shannon plans to speak with a dozen priority recruits on Monday night.

What a terrible thing to write. So every kid Shannon does not get in touch with or does not call tonight has been called not a priority.

So far these kids have been great. If they stick together, this will be a class very special to UF fans. No one of these kids needs to be allowed to think he is not a priority at this time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I am of the firm belief Mac being gone will only help our recruiting....book it Dan-o
116th was always going to be used against us until Butterteeth was gone.

New coaches get that great class and strong 2nd year because they can sell HOPE and aren't saddled by failures yet which can be used against you in negative recruiting.

Thankfully Butters bypassed that 2nd year bump somehow. And yet recruiting takes a lot of work. It's one of those kind of deals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.