7. Missouri $4,290
  8. South Carolina $4,201
  9. Florida $3,830
  10. LSU $3,800
  11. Georgia $3,746
  12. Kentucky $3,598
  13. Texas A&M $3,528
  14. Vanderbilt declined to provide
Tell me it is more expensive to live in Auburn or StarkVegas or Tuscaloosa. Maybe Knoxville but Auburn?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our cheap ass athletic dept saving money wherever it can.

We set those numbers.

" However, financial aid offices at each school decide the amounts of each type of cost."

If we truly wanted to compete, we would be more aggressive w the numbers.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Uga definitely is, but they and Tam make up for it i different ways.

Its a whole package thing.

Youre offered two jobs, very simliar. One pays about 50% more, has a huge nice office space, will require you to be a way from home but puts you up in Hylton level amenities. It is almost embarrassing. Gold trim. Fountains. Crazy. And the PERKS-- wow!!-- bonuses ,tips and stuff ALL THE TIME (under the table). Of course, you get your pick of a premium suv or sports car company car.

The other one pays less and is putting you in a ghetto Motel Six, painted block walls w conduit exposed and tacky foam drop ceiling, a relic of cheapest possible construction in the 70s. People in the business call it "Section Eight Housing" . No tips ever. The company car is a scooter you share with someone else.

This will be a 3-5 year assignment before you get a chance at a promotion to move out.

Is anyone really surprised kids dont choose us much? It is just business. At first it was just Bammer but now it is about 40 schools.

Last edited:

leogator

May 5, 2018
$150/mo makes a huge difference to a college age kid. That's not counting any other under the table "stipends".

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Universal basic income.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
9th.

Right about where our recruiting class is currently ranked in the conference.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I really think that the SEC should agree to one number for all schools. Make it the largest number say for Vandy, who as a private school does not provide.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I guess SC getting a bit more than us will be used by some to explain Muschamp beating us out in recruiting if he is able to pull that off.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It’s been a pretty well known fact that it was left to the universities and the administration decided to pay less.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought we hashed this out before and someone found out that we give less due to some academic metric. That we can't have different numbers for academic and sports.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Uga? Lower than us?
But but but

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought we hashed this out before and someone found out that we give less due to some academic metric. That we can't have different numbers for academic and sports.
Makes no sense. So we lower the amount of aid available to everyone? That sure helps.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Makes no sense. So we lower the amount of aid available to everyone? That sure helps.
I think it had to do with the metric for measuring the best value in college education, which would explain why we always rank so high.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think it had to do with the metric for measuring the best value in college education, which would explain why we always rank so high.
So, we force our kids to live on less Pell Grants and other fed student aid, so we can be the cheapest?

I'm not surprised.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So, we force our kids to live on less Pell Grants and other fed student aid, so we can be the cheapest?

I'm not surprised.
Maybe, I'm not saying it's correct or that i agree, but that seems to be what I remember of it. Everyone seemed real happy about us being a Top10 public University well that's part of it.

I'll tell you what Shands does and I can only assume UF does the same thing. Shands is so highly rated because they have a handful of metrics that they monitor weekly. They have senior level staff working on these metrics every week, so they can get their ranking. Having lived in Gainesville most of my life, I can tell you that Shands pretty much sucks except for a few specialties and treating rare disorders. I don't see myself going there, ever. I can go to North Florida Regional for most things, and if I have a rare or complicated issue, I'll go to Mayo in Jax. But, Shands is always a top ranked hospital, and it's because they actively manage these metrics.

There is no reason to believe that UF is not managing metrics to get its rating. I cannot say that I received a good education at UF. You learn what you put into it, but there were only two maybe three professors worth a damn while I was there. So if UF is a top 10 public school I either have to believe there are a bunch of FSU's out there or that they are managing metrics.

leogator

May 5, 2018
The higher rating is probably because of graduate programs/medical school/law school and research. Undergraduate education in most large public universities sucks with most big name professors wanting nothing to do with undergraduate education.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Although it won't happen, the SEC should have set the same 'cost of attendance' for every school and come in and said, "$4,500" - that's it (or whatever amount they determined). It is complete bullsh*t that one school can offer $2000 more than another and expect to compete on an even playing field. And it's no surprise Alabama is near the top.

I will bet you within a year or so Jimbo will get that stipend at Texas A&M raised.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The higher rating is probably because of graduate programs/medical school/law school and research. Undergraduate education in most large public universities sucks with most big name professors wanting nothing to do with undergraduate education.

It's like everything else. There are criteria (metrics) that these rankings are prefaced. I wholeheartedly believe UF monitors and manages these metrics the best they can. It doesn't mean that UF is good or not, just that they are the # whatever at managing metrics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator