Cost of attendance (COA) stipend shenanigans

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Although it won't happen, the SEC should have set the same 'cost of attendance' for every school and come in and said, "$4,500" - that's it (or whatever amount they determined). It is complete bullsh*t that one school can offer $2000 more than another and expect to compete on an even playing field. And it's no surprise Alabama is near the top.

I will bet you within a year or so Jimbo will get that stipend at Texas A&M raised.
Maybe not, the SEC has four Universities in Association of American Universities. Texas A&M is one of them. They are a very academic centered University. So I would not be surprised if that doesn't happen.

Association of American Universities - Wikipedia

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
Working in the fin aid office elsewhere, I can tell you there is a lot that goes into COA. It gets reported to the DOE. I can tell you this the DOE does not play around and it the COAs were inflated then the DOE would have stepped in. The stipend thing is an excuse, Georgia has a lower COA and they have how many 5 stars??

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Working in the fin aid office elsewhere, I can tell you there is a lot that goes into COA. It gets reported to the DOE. I can tell you this the DOE does not play around and it the COAs were inflated then the DOE would have stepped in. The stipend thing is an excuse, Georgia has a lower COA and they have how many 5 stars??

I got a dislike by a giant vag for saying the same thing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can tell you this the DOE does not play around and it the COAs were inflated then the DOE would have stepped in.
And yet, the clearly did not step in.

You arent seriously telling me you think it is almost twice as expensive to like in those Muhsippi or Timerc hell holes.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Where Alabama, Tenn, Auburn and others are getting over is they are saying that the average player on their roster travels home X number of times per year and they travel XX number of miles at 57 cents/mile. That "cost" is different at every school, and I imagine a place like A&M or Missouri, where they're bringing in kids from all over the SE it costs more to travel. If UF had a roster that was 80% Florida kids the cost to travel home isn't that great. Basically, they are fudging the numbers on the travel cost to maximize the COA stipends.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
Just looking at three universities and their instate tuition you find the following:

University of Florida = $6380/yr
University of Alabama = $10,780/yr
University of Tennessee = $13,060

That may be part of the disparity

leogator

May 5, 2018
Just looking at three universities and their instate tuition you find the following:

University of Florida = $6380/yr
University of Alabama = $10,780/yr
University of Tennessee = $13,060

That may be part of the disparity

But they're already getting scholarships so tuition is immaterial.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Cost of Attendance

The cost of attendance (COA) is not the bill that you may get from your college; it is the total amount it will cost you to go to college each year. The COA includes tuition and fees; on-campus room and board (or a housing and food allowance for off-campus students); and allowances for books, supplies, transportation, loan fees, and, if applicable, dependent care. It can also include other expenses like an allowance for the rental or purchase of a personal computer, costs related to a disability, or costs for eligible study-abroad programs.

This is just a primer of it but higher tuition means higher COA; and I noticed the “allowance” for transportation and thought it a little loosey-goosey.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Allowances for off-campus housing and cost of Transportation which means back from apt to school (not school to home) it's where the room for play is.

just another one of the huge number of areas in which we chose not to compete.

is anyone really surprised?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.