Countdown to the Season Opener, Share your favorite Gator Moments

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
1991. UF beat fsu 14-9 in gville. The last pass Fla knocks down to win. Loudest ever I remember. Ears were ringing when that happened.

An excellent call. I was 11 and was fortunate to be on the sidelines for that game, and Uk the week before. Loved the games and the wins. But most of all it was great to see so many old timers, including my grandfather, get their first official SEC crown, and then a thrilling win in a rivalry that had gotten away from us in recent years. Incredible finish. Back to back games with “We Are the Champions” playing as fans celebrated.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I think that wheel route is still open.

Even though we would win four straight after that, that game was probably the high water mark of the Mullen era.

That was like his Superbowl. You would have thought the season was over and we won a title with how he coached from that game on. He truly hated Brian Johnson’s offense

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to go a bit obscure. 1990. Yes, Spurrier in his first SEC game as HC had won at Alabama, but Alabama was unranked and lost their first three games that season and finished 7-5. We had gone to #5 UT and got flat out embarrassed 45-3. We did pound UGA 38-7, after losing 10 of 12 to the bastards, it was the start of the great winning 11 of 12 with SOS as HC, but UGA reeked of ass that year, finished 4-7, but we did beat them by 31, the largest margin of victory in the rivalry for UF to that point.

But the week before the WLOCP, #4 Auburn came to town, night game, ESPN national television. Auburn unbeaten with one tie. Pat Dye, the cocksucker that helped put UF on probation twice on the other sideline. Absolute beatdown of epic proportion, the Barber punt return was a thing of beauty. The night you said as a Gator fan that things were going to be different and business was going to pick up in a hurry:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of 1990, this is still one of my favorite hits ever, although sitting 70 rows up in section 7 at the time, I thought Fe had killed the poor bastard:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm going to go a bit obscure. 1990. Yes, Spurrier in his first SEC game as HC had won at Alabama, but Alabama was unranked and lost their first three games that season and finished 7-5. We had gone to #5 UT and got flat out embarrassed 45-3. We did pound UGA 38-7, after losing 10 of 12 to the bastards, it was the start of the great winning 11 of 12 with SOS as HC, but UGA reeked of ass that year, finished 4-7, but we did beat them by 31, the largest margin of victory in the rivalry for UF to that point.

But the week before the WLOCP, #4 Auburn came to town, night game, ESPN national television. Auburn unbeaten with one tie. Pat Dye, the cocksucker that helped put UF on probation twice on the other sideline. Absolute beatdown of epic proportion, the Barber punt return was a thing of beauty. The night you said as a Gator fan that things were going to be different and business was going to pick up in a hurry:

Your last line is spot on. I remember asking a friend of mine if he wanted to go to the game with me, and when I told him who we were playing his face screamed “oh no”. We were both 80s kids and the perception of Aub was gut wrenching losses and just being decidedly better almost every year. That night was without question the night that UF football became different under Spurrier.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
1986 vs undefeated Auburn. The throwin’ Mayoin’ drags UF out of the probationary doldrums with 18 points in the most furious comeback the Gators ever produced at a point we really needed it. This game was crazy. I was there.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Lito Shepard INT vs UGA in 2000. One of the greatest game changing plays I’ve ever seen in person by a DB. Propelled us past the dawgs and on to Spurrier’s last SEC title.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
2006 SEC Championship vs Arky. I was tenth row overlooking the end zone where Pierre-Louis dug out the muffed punt to put us back in the lead, and I was watching directly behind Percy Harvin as the Arky defense parted like the Red Sea and he housed it.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
1994 SEC Championship vs Bammer. One of my favorite visits to the Georgia Dome. Great game. HBC pulled out the trick bag big time in this one but it still came down to legend DB Fred Weary tipping the ball to Eddie Lake for the game clinching INT when Bama only needed a fg to win.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
1997 vs FSU. Greatest game I have ever seen. Doug Johnson’s pass looked like it was headed right at where I was sitting seven rows up on the 35 yard line before Quez Green caught it and made his cutback directly in front of me.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
No Gator has announced his presence to the football world the way Emmitt Smith did in 1987 vs Bama. 224 yards on the trot. Defense was stacked with future nfl players and was relentless on this day.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
It was Wayne Peace to James Jones for the win vs scUM in 1982. Made the cover of SI. The artificial turf reflected the heat like a mirror. We got to go down and play pick up games after the teams cleared off. The astroturf couldn’t be damaged by a bunch of kids.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
2006 SEC Championship vs Arky. I was tenth row overlooking the end zone where Pierre-Louis dug out the muffed punt to put us back in the lead, and I was watching directly behind Percy Harvin as the Arky defense parted like the Red Sea and he housed it.

Makes you really miss Mick. I can’t stand the Richard Karn clone we have doing it now. Think of 50 Floor every time I hear him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator