Cowbell booster’s take on our staff

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
So I have an acquaintance with some deep ties to the cowbell program, and has had a fair amount of access to Stricklin, Mullen and a few others through the years. My friend is very objective, and I found some of his info interesting. Some may be MOM for sure, but it verifies what we see and maybe provides insight into that we don’t. Here are his takes:

Stricklin- married into cowbell booster royalty. Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t stay around long. Views UF is a stepping stone. Always looking for a better situation and has eyes on a position in the SEC office, namely commish. Won’t happen as he is too much of a worker ant. Not as chummy with Mullen as you might think.

Mullen- extremely detail oriented to the point it costs him games, as well as internal negotiations. Huge work ethic. Made as many enemies as friends in Starkville, and seat got a touch warm on occasion, but never hot, oddly due to booster and brass relationships and not as much over record. Recruiting might not have ever been stellar, but Bama at their doorstep and Ol Piss blatantly paying recruits early in his tenure didn’t help. Friend claimed Cowbell doesn’t have the wealthy alumni resources (bag men) others have, and I believe him on this. Thought he had Cam Newton locked up, and if his Dad hadn’t auctioned him off probably would have. Mullen’s career would likely look a lot different if he had. Doesn’t believe Mullen will ever embarrass UF in scandal, which is a good thing I guess.

Hevesy- Great coach but extremely crude, even for a oline coach. Cowbell brass had to tell him to tone it down constantly. Was total Gunny Ermey on the sidelines and around town. Can be condescending toward recruits and HS coaches, so recruiting suffers. Doesn’t have the DNA to tell you what you want to hear. Extremely demanding coach the players respect but don’t always like. Has no aspiration to move to the next level as a HC.

Gonzales- Mullen’s in-game go to for picking apart a defense, his strongest suit. Does have aspirations to move up. The kind of guy that may take way too much credit. Not well-liked in Starkville due to attitude. Fairly lazy recruiter known to be playing golf while others hit the trail. Might not hang around if another OC or mid tier HC job comes calling.

Grantham- oddly, in several conversations came across as a quiet family man who really embraced and was embraced by Starkville. Only on the field did he become a raging lunatic. Well accepted in the HS circles, and good doing in-home visits. Recruits want to play an aggressive style so it gets him in some doors. Might move on if the situation is right. Only DC Mullen ever repeatedly praised.

Friend and I are down to have lunch in a few weeks. If anything else comes up I will add as I hear it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Help an old timer out here. What does MOM stand for?
Man
On
Moon

Or something weve discussed already. People would post pics of newspapers saying MoM.

BTW, I sure hope Stricklin is looking for another job soon and he gets replaced by a football person.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hevesy- Great coach but extremely crude, even for a oline coach. Cowbell brass had to tell him to tone it down constantly. Was total Gunny Ermey on the sidelines and around town. Can be condescending toward recruits and HS coaches, so recruiting suffers. Doesn’t have the DNA to tell you what you want to hear. Extremely demanding coach the players respect but don’t always like. Has no aspiration to move to the next level as a HC.
This sounds like the absolute perfect assistant coach to me.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stricklin better get off his ass if he wants something better than this gig. It's a blight on his resume that we're in effect standing on a street corner in hobo's gear holding a sign that reads FOOTBALL HELPLESS AND HOMELESS.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stricklin better get off his ass if he wants something better than this gig. It's a blight on his resume that we're in effect standing on a street corner in hobo's gear holding a sign that reads FOOTBALL HELPLESS AND HOMELESS.
Maybe he wants to go to Stanford.

Maybe he's just getting told he's the best ever by his staff. I've heard they are pretty good at ass kissing.

They kissed Fooley's ass for decades, and he thought several conferences owed him a commish job. His real world reputation as a slumlord kept him from even getting interviewed.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm surprised Gonzalez is still tooling around w/ Mullen. He went to LSU for a short period - didn't that end badly for him?

It's no secret that Grantham wants a head coaching job and I could see that happening next off-season.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Help an old timer out here. What does MOM stand for?

I was expecting all kinds of funny responses. I am surprised. It must be summer because during the season this would be 3 or 4 pages already. It's an old message board reference to Man lands on moon. Like SD said, usually the newspaper headline.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
I'm surprised Gonzalez is still tooling around w/ Mullen. He went to LSU for a short period - didn't that end badly for him?

It's no secret that Grantham wants a head coaching job and I could see that happening next off-season.
The story I got was that Mullen leans hard on Hevesy for game planning and prep, with Gonzales more for WR personnel as it relates to mis-matches during the game. We will always have a few different player styles at WR and TE for this reason. And Yes, Grass Eater passed on him as an OC but wanted him to stay. Gonzo walked.
I think Grantham will eventually leave on his own, but might want to see his son out of HS first. Who really knows?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The book is still open on Grantham. He has had some very good overall numbers some years but seems to always get torched 2-3 times a season.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I wonder what could really be a step up from AD at UF, I really don't see any other schools and why would you want the entire league which is a totally different type of job. Only time will tell.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was expecting all kinds of funny responses. I am surprised. It must be summer because during the season this would be 3 or 4 pages already. It's an old message board reference to Man lands on moon. Like SD said, usually the newspaper headline.

We got the GatorMan5k drunken OP thread at 7 pages. Way more important stuff going on in that thread, obviously. :lol:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

giphy-2.gif

Didn't happen. It was fake news.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
The book is still open on Grantham. He has had some very good overall numbers some years but seems to always get torched 2-3 times a season.
My take on him is this: if he can get true blue chip talent then the scheme will be a huge success. I’m talking FL kids that are top flight. Most HS kids want to pin their ears back and attack, so the sell is probably an easy one.
Anything less than absolute studs at any position leaves him severely exposed, No middle ground whatsoever. Just my take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator