D.J. Humphries: "My pride won't let me be a bust."

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
"I'm a professional football player. I can say that now, and I'm going to say it one more time: I'm a professional football player. This is all I ever wanted to do. I went to a great university. I hate to say it, but I didn't go there to go to school. I went there specifically for this day. So this is all a dream come true."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n218642 said:
Interesting. Why did he allow his pride to let him be a bust at UF?
It's good he's gone. Some cancers can't be fixed any other way.

Once the team quit in 2013, it was over. You don't "unquit". Once a group decides it's leader isn't worthy, you're done. It doesn't matter whether it's the military, business, or sports.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
His potential is high, but he isn't ready to be an NFL starter. I don't care what the "experts" say, he should not have been a 1st round pick. Arizona will need to be patient with him if he's going to last there.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n218667 said:
I don't care what the "experts" say, he should not have been drafted.
FIFY

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[But that changes in the NFL, when low-burning fires are quickly extinguished by professional hit men — those frothing defensive linemen that would eat cinder block to get to a quarterback.
So why will Humphries be any different?
"Because I feel like I'm one of those mean men on the defense. I feel like I'm one of those guys," he said. "My pride won't let me be a bust. I'm a pretty prideful guy and I want to be the best. And that's all I ever wanted to be."]

So says the human turnstile....amazing that he was drafted at all based on college performance, but he does have the measurables. Except for the most important one.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think the 1st round was likely too high based on actual performance, but I'll throw him into the "played for Muschamp" file and give him some time before I consider him a real bust. No one played very well under WM, and I agree with Law that once the team quit in 2013, we never regained them. The development, the play-calling, and the entire culture was flawed. Not judging any player too harshly based on the past years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And Rod Johnson was better, too.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
It took him 2 years to get to a reasonable playing weight. According to him he arrived on campus at 250 pounds. By the time the season started, he was about 270 his freshman year. He should have been redshirted. That is entirely to light to play at LT in the SEC. By the start of his sophomore year he was about 285. That is still to light. Last year he was about 292-295. That is 10-13 pounds lighter than the closest LT near him in weight. Most starting left tackles in the SEC are over 310 pounds according to espn. Throw in his body type which is thinner in frame anyway, and it explains why he struggled at UF. I just think underachieving was the norm under Muschamp. 6 offensive players were drafted this year on offense and we couldn't get into the top 100?

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Good Luck
windmill.png

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n218851 said:
It took him 2 years to get to a reasonable playing weight. According to him he arrived on campus at 250 pounds. By the time the season started, he was about 270 his freshman year. He should have been redshirted. That is entirely to light to play at LT in the SEC. By the start of his sophomore year he was about 285. That is still to light. Last year he was about 292-295. That is 10-13 pounds lighter than the closest LT near him in weight. Most starting left tackles in the SEC are over 310 pounds according to espn.
There's something here. By all rights, DJ shouldn't have even been on the field until last year and he certainly shouldn't have been at LT. It's not really his fault that piss poor recruiting by two staffs left us with zero offensive line depth.

That being said, there was substantial smoke that if Hump hadn't gone to the NFL, he was going to transfer due to our Chimpectomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.