Dabo Punishes Player with Bus Ride

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
WHile this is ridiculous, the publicly humiliate the kid in front of his team and the entire college football universe is bull****. ..
Sometimes I wonder if you were really in the army.

Must be the new stress card army. I thought that was a joke, or just an AF and Navy thing.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Sometimes I wonder if you were really in the army.

Must be the new stress card army. I thought that was a joke, or just an AF and Navy thing.

No stress cards. My second company command was in BCT at FJSC. I also commanded a battalion in BCT land. The stress card stuff is a myth.

If you think this is leadership, you have watched too many movies. Today's kid will tune you out when you publicly humiliate them like this. I have no issue with te kid riding the bus. My issue is this should never been made public.

Kids screw up. He threw a couple punches. BFD. If he put this out about my kid, I would publicly stomp a mud hole in his ass and put it on youtube. Let him coach a few games with a hamburger face and se what h thinks about that.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a question for all you old guys:

What movie, did the coach make a star player, ride the cheerleader bus home, after the player talked back to the coach?

From the 80s?

This is what comes to mind when I heard about this.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a question for all you old guys:

What movie, did the coach make a star player, ride the cheerleader bus home, after the player talked back to the coach?

From the 80s?

This is what comes to mind when I heard about this.
All the Right Moves - Tom Cruise (pre-Scientology)

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
*cover2
*Quincy FL
*Living too long
*Any of my dogs I've been fortunate to have (currently "Gunner," our Brittany)
*Came in 2nd in a dance contest in a seedy bar, protested the decision (drunk and loud), was forcibly removed from the establishment, embarrassed my lady partner, no happy ending

My opinion is based on 30 years of working with young people, many of whom were athletes, and 59 years of living. I believe we are cultivating younger generations to be uber cognizant of their rights and privileges, but bereft of responsibilities. I am a firm believer that it sometimes takes a harsh response to get a point across, to offenders and would-be's alike. If getting dressed down in front of your team, people who rely on you and you on them, is in humane, then competitive sports may not be for you. If it worries you that people around the country might know you had to ride an equipment truck home for a personal f'up, then I can't imagine how you'll respond when you don't get that promotion you think you deserved or, God forbid, lose a job and have to scratch up money to pay the bills.

How does one situation relate to the other? Part of what competitive sports and team membership, especially in football, teaches is that life is hard and you will get knocked flat, but to succeed, you have to get back up and keep playing. And you have to be responsible to your teammates and coaches with your effort and conduct, lest you are mob and not a team. Correction has to be swift and significant to be effective. And forgiveness will not be eternal in these situations, despite what you may have learned in Sunday School. If your mama and daddy didn't teach you this, it is your coaches' and teammates responsibility to do so.

I count myself lucky to have been raised as such. I f'd up along the way, but was fortunate to not get by and learned about consequences and life. I learned that mistakes are a part of human growth and development, but learning from them and not repeating them was an important key. One lesson I remember well was taking something that didn't belong to me and having to stand before the owner and apologize as well as make restitution. It was tough on a twelve year old, but getting away with it would have been tougher still. I learned a lot about my responsibility as a citizen and to the people I loved and depended on. I didn't fall into a life of alcoholism, drugs, or murder as a result. My self-confidence didn't shrivel, but actually grew from accepting my expectations. I have raised my children likewise and now that they are grown, they have shown appreciation. I can only hope they will pass it on.

I believe that the lesson the Clemson player had bestowed upon him, depending on his reaction, can be a valuable gift. I wish more young people got the same opportunity. The world might be a better place. Although I'm not as loud in my corrections these days with the kids I deal with and their parents, I try to be firm and consistent. They'll need the resiliency that we try to teach many times in their lives. Sometimes a kid and/or their parent accuses me of being too hard. The only thing I can tell them is that it's a hard life. Everybody's going to have to ride the equipment truck at some point. It gets you to the same place the plane would, hopefully a little wiser.

Well said C2. You have my respect.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No stress cards. My second company command was in BCT at FJSC. I also commanded a battalion in BCT land. The stress card stuff is a myth.

If you think this is leadership, you have watched too many movies. Today's kid will tune you out when you publicly humiliate them like this. I have no issue with te kid riding the bus. My issue is this should never been made public.

Kids screw up. He threw a couple punches. BFD. If he put this out about my kid, I would publicly stomp a mud hole in his ass and put it on youtube. Let him coach a few games with a hamburger face and se what h thinks about that.
:backout:

These "kids" are grown men. You'd attack a coach physically because of this? This just seems like a crazy overreaction. I think you're in the minority on this one.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
My only problem, as I have been on those buses before, is that some poor manager or student athletic trainer probably got kicked out of a bunk so his azz would have somewhere to sleep other than the floor. So who really got punished?

lrtx1

Dec 2, 2014
I see nothing wrong with riding the bus. Football is a team sport and the kids choices didn't reflect that, in return he got to ride a bus without his team. Seems fitting to me.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I see nothing wrong with making him ride the bus back. I bet the player thinks twice before he does something like that again in a game.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
One lesson I remember well was taking something that didn't belong to me and having to stand before the owner and apologize as well as make restitution. It was tough on a twelve year old, but getting away with it would have been tougher still.
Shortly after my niece got her first checking account she wrote a check for more than she had. Even though she had over draft protection, my sister took her to the bank and made her apologize to the manager. My sister told me she’s never done it again in the 10+ years since it happened. When my sister told me the story my kids happened to over hear it. Later my daughter told me she’ll never make that mistake because she knows I’d do the same thing.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
* Threat
* AF Brat - Enlisted Family Quarters somewhere
* Hearing the words "I'm late"
* Slevin
* Logging in to gatorchatter

Not a fan of public humiliation but I am a fan of peer pressure. I've always stated that if you f up, your whole unit should be punished. This kid was a CB so make the entire secondary pay. You'll damn sure think twice if the guys you spend every day with are punished for your lapse of judgement.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
* Threat
* AF Brat - Enlisted Family Quarters somewhere
* Hearing the words "I'm late"
* Slevin
* Logging in to gatorchatter

Not a fan of public humiliation but I am a fan of peer pressure. I've always stated that if you f up, your whole unit should be punished. This kid was a CB so make the entire secondary pay. You'll damn sure think twice if the guys you spend every day with are punished for your lapse of judgement.
Always wondered what AF enlisted housing was like. You guys get stuck on the fairway instead of by the green? No direct waterfront, but one block away?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

I'll take "Things that would never happen" for 1000 Alex.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Jesus Christ, lighten up Francis! I don't know WTF is going on in the military these days but when I was in if you screwed up and did something stupid guess what, you got ****ing yelled at. In public.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Shortly after my niece got her first checking account she wrote a check for more than she had..
I wrote a girl a check for one million dollars in CJs one night. I was a little light on funds as well, but nothing bad happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator