Daddy always said….

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
My dad taught me how to fish and respect women. He taught me , by example , how to treat people. Taught me how to cook a few things. How to treat raise my kids (by example). He didnt have to tell me about fighting as I never had any problems like that. Nobody ever messed with me in school. He did say the quiet boys had more luck with gals than the loud guys. He instilled a work ethic in me and my brothers. We all worked from the time we could throw a watermelon or crop tobacco or pick up a bail of hay.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
My dad taught me how to fish and respect women. He taught me , by example , how to treat people. Taught me how to cook a few things. How to treat raise my kids (by example). He didnt have to tell me about fighting as I never had any problems like that. Nobody ever messed with me in school. He did say the quiet boys had more luck with gals than the loud guys. He instilled a work ethic in me and my brothers. We all worked from the time we could throw a watermelon or crop tobacco or pick up a bail of hay.
I calling BS...Sorry not buying it.

I grew up during forced bussing. We had riots at every Public HS in Lee County. Don't belive me?

Look it up. 70's

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
He is and he has a lot of old stories I’ve heard hundreds of times but still laugh my ass off every time.

I have a picture of him, about 20 ft up climbing a palm tree in Key West, with a pocket knife.
Get a video or digital recorder and get his stories captured. They will be priceless when he is gone.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Get a video or digital recorder and get his stories captured. They will be priceless when he is gone.
I have no idea why I’ve never even thought of this.
I did have an old cassette recording of him one night, after someone stole his bowling bag.
Good lord that was funny but, he was mad as hell.

Sadly, It may be too late to get any of the good stuff out of him, and he’s getting weaker every day. That scooter crash took a lot out of him.

I’ll see him again around Christmas, maybe I can get him to talk about that Tarzan yell, jump from the side of the mountain on a grape vine, and the vine broke, sending him down through the trees.
Everyone laughed like hell but he was busted up pretty good.
Good times!!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I calling BS...Sorry not buying it.

I grew up during forced bussing. We had riots at every Public HS in Lee County. Don't belive me?

Look it up. 70's
Here is the deal, Nola. I went to a small HS in farming communities. We had 67 in my graduating class. But we had all the kids from 7-12 in a Jr Sr HS. Maybe 400 kids total. All the bad asses played football. We hated the coach not each other and got to know each other when forced integration occured. I was in 10th grade. I did hear there was a fight in the cafeteria one day but I somehow missed it. DIdnt even know it happened. But it was skinny rednecks starting it and it ended quickly with no injuries from what I was told. My current wife saw it. Many of the black guys I played football and basketball with were also from farm families. We had much in common And coaches that played the best players not by color. I never had a problem and also had two younger brothers in the same school with me at the same time with no problems. They both got along fine with black kids. The middle brother could hold his own with anyone anyway. He played football with me when I was a senior. We had many black friends by then. Why would I lie?

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Coach:

Okay everyone got along.. rainbows and lollipops.

In middle school we were getting jumped by kids 2 and 3 years older than us. Kids from the projects.

My HS had almost 600 in the graduating class. My freshman and Sophomore years were bad.
Side Bar: Greg Troy was our swimming coach and my American History Teacher....That Greg Troy UF/Olympics Coach

My dad won the GG. In WW2 he had 6 stripes in 5 years in the Corps.

He would give you the shirt off his back but you didn't cross him.

Oh and he was Special Ed teacher. He knew the deal.

Last edited:

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

Bale of hay.

Bail refers to getting out of jail.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Here is the deal, Nola. I went to a small HS in farming communities. We had 67 in my graduating class. But we had all the kids from 7-12 in a Jr Sr HS. Maybe 400 kids total. All the bad asses played football. We hated the coach not each other and got to know each other when forced integration occured. I was in 10th grade. I did hear there was a fight in the cafeteria one day but I somehow missed it. DIdnt even know it happened. But it was skinny rednecks starting it and it ended quickly with no injuries from what I was told. My current wife saw it. Many of the black guys I played football and basketball with were also from farm families. We had much in common And coaches that played the best players not by color. I never had a problem and also had two younger brothers in the same school with me at the same time with no problems. They both got along fine with black kids. The middle brother could hold his own with anyone anyway. He played football with me when I was a senior. We had many black friends by then. Why would I lie?
And coach...it wasn't about race. We had pissed off project kids bussed to the white burbs for hours.
It was cultural. And they didn't want to get along. Not even with the blacks in our neighborhoods.
But you pull the Lib Dem crap and made it about race.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And coach...it wasn't about race. We had pissed off project kids bussed to the white burbs for hours.
It was cultural. And they didn't want to get along. Not even with the blacks in our neighborhoods.
Living in a rural setting is much different than an urban.

I am younger than Coach and I went to a white private school, but my experience is very similar. No issues in little leagues or subsequent leagues. No issues working in packing houses or lumber yards.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
It was a rough time for the black kids. THey closed the two black HS in our county and forced them all to our schools. They lost , what was for some, a real identity with their old schools. But I have to say many embraced our school spirit and all that went with it. We recently got together with about a dozen or so at the recent HS game. The two gals that always helped organize our reunions and a few guys. They are dead set on our 50th reunion next year. Weve had three already. Forced integration was all about race. Worlds collided for many. One thing about our community many knew each other from farm work. So that helped. Im sure it was much worse in other places. The only stupid thing I saw was one or two of my white basketball team mates not playing the next year after integration. I guess they were scared to compete or had their parents influencing them. I had a grand old time either way.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Living in a rural setting is much different than an urban.

I am younger than Coach and I went to a white private school, but my experience is very similar. No issues in little leagues or subsequent leagues. No issues working in packing houses or lumber yards.

i am the youngest of 4 siblings and the only one to attend an integrated school from grades 1 through 12.

i grew up on a family farm and spent a lot of time among the crews harvesting our watermelons. Lots of good memories of time spent with J.B, Lemon, Strutty, Ronnie aka. Crip, Reuben and many other folks that I labored with in melons fields, building/patching fence, baling hay, then later feeding that hay.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
It was a rough time for the black kids. THey closed the two black HS in our county and forced them all to our schools. They lost , what was for some, a real identity with their old schools. But I have to say many embraced our school spirit and all that went with it. We recently got together with about a dozen or so at the recent HS game. The two gals that always helped organize our reunions and a few guys. They are dead set on our 50th reunion next year. Weve had three already. Forced integration was all about race. Worlds collided for many. One thing about our community many knew each other from farm work. So that helped. Im sure it was much worse in other places. The only stupid thing I saw was one or two of my white basketball team mates not playing the next year after integration. I guess they were scared to compete or had their parents influencing them. I had a grand old time either way.

In my town, all schools remained in use. The former black school became the middle school, 5th to 8th grades.

Sadly, thanks to The Villages opening a charter school a few miles my old high school is now a combined middle-high school.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
In my town, all schools remained in use. The former black school became the middle school, 5th to 8th grades.

Sadly, thanks to The Villages opening a charter school a few miles my old high school is now a combined middle-high school.
That was the same in ALachua. The two black HS became middle schools...............

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
It was one of the stupidest Liberal Projects ever schemed up. And we in the south were all called RACIST. Why not upgrade or build new schools locally? Lee County had double sessions. My HS school was built for ~1,000 students...We had ~2,400. They'd rather bus than build. OH, but they built, A NEW SCHOOL BOARD BUILDING...Top Shelf. So we had riots. Bad riots. Kids expelled (Even a class president) Kids hospitalized.

And then years later...BOSTON had forced integration. Yeah, Southerners are racist.

I'm chasing rabbits here. The Subject is Dad's advice or sayings...

My dad never wanted us to be taken advantage of. He passed that on to me. He came from an era where you settled things a men and then you either shook hands or avoided each other and MOVE ON. He hated the idea of suspensions or expulsions BUT he was going to get his say and he wanted justice.

He also went to the mat for his subordinates and family but had no tact...it cost him especially as an officer in the "Chair Force" (Sorry B52).

Yet I'm his son...no doubt: as most of you know.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

I got all my country learning, milkin' and a churning
Pickin' cotton, raisin' hell, and balin' hay

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member