Damning article from GC

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This pretty much spells out just how bad we are and does not bode well for the rest of the year. Mind you, this performance has been against cupcakes for the most part.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/florida...rs-florida-gators-vs-vanderbilt-commodores-2/

"I am a pretty optimistic guy and really like Jim McElwain, and also know how bad the team that he inherited was, but this is just not good right now. 105th in the red zone. 77th in total yards. 89th in yards per pass completion. 94th on 4th down conversion. 74th in percentage of plays that result in a touchdown or first down.

And what is happening in third quarters? In the last two games, the Gators have had five drives, 22 plays, go for 17 total yards – 0.77 yards per play"

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As much as I want to throw this team under the bus, I will wait and give them a chance against LSU this weekend. If we get beat this weekend at home and look bad while losing, I will be officially done with this team.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Since way back in the GSMB days I have usually been fairly optimistic about Gator football and would tire of those who were constantly negative. But after 7 years I've finally had it. I've had it with awful football. To me, awful, un-inspired or un-imaginative football is among the ugliest things known to man (Hillary's thighs being a given).

Anyone, when comparing Gator football to the upper echelon teams today, can plainly see that our team is nowhere close to getting back to the rarified air of the best teams in college football. And nothing I have seen to date or see looking into the future has me convinced that we will be getting there anytime soon.

If anyone has information they'd like to share or can provide a perspective that will convince me otherwise I would sincerely like to hear it because right now I've resigned myself to at least 2-3 more years of mediocrity and drudgery.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
As much as I want to throw this team under the bus, I will wait and give them a chance against LSU this weekend. If we get beat this weekend at home and look bad while losing, I will be officially done with this team.
You sound as frustrated as most everyone else is. I too feel that this game is it...We either come out and play every damned down like it means something or pretty much pack it in for the season. Players? Coaches? I for the life of me can't figure which to be more frustrated at. It almost seems like no one gives a rats ass about what this program should be about......Maybe SOS should do the pre game speech? Something...freakin anything...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Since way back in the GSMB days I have usually been fairly optimistic about Gator football and would tire of those who were constantly negative. But after 7 years I've finally had it. I've had it with awful football. To me awful, un-inspired or un-imaginative football is among the ugliest things known to man (Hillary's thighs being a given).

Anyone, when comparing Gator football to the upper echelon teams today, can plainly see that out team is no where close to getting back to the rarified air of the best teams in college football. And nothing I have seen to date or see looking into the future has me convinced that we will be getting there anytime soon.

If anyone has information they'd like to share or can provide a perspective that will convince me otherwise I would sincerely like to hear it because right now I've resigned myself to at least 2-3 more years of mediocrity and drudgery.

Very surprising. I don't know the answer. I don't think Mac is the guy though. Time will ultimately tell us but it does not look good. You were always one of the most positive posters on both boards. When I saw some of your posts I thought someone hijacked your account. The program is in a tough spot for sure. Hope is all we have left.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Since way back in the GSMB days I have usually been fairly optimistic about Gator football and would tire of those who were constantly negative. But after 7 years I've finally had it. I've had it with awful football. To me awful, un-inspired or un-imaginative football is among the ugliest things known to man (Hillary's thighs being a given).

Anyone, when comparing Gator football to the upper echelon teams today, can plainly see that our team is nowhere close to getting back to the rarified air of the best teams in college football. And nothing I have seen to date or see looking into the future has me convinced that we will be getting there anytime soon.

Agree on all accounts...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I miss the days when an off year still meant that we were favored even on the road against higher ranked teams most of the time....Most of the time we would light up the scoreboard and at worst we would bloody someone's nose.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know everybody is looking for the next head coach genius, the guy with the scheme that will turn football on its head. But really, it's mostly pretty simple. If your offensive linemen are bigger, stronger, and quicker than their defensive linemen, you can run and pass with success. If your interior defensive linemen are bigger and stronger than their guards and center, they can't run inside the tackles. If your defensive ends are as strong as the tackles and quicker than them, they can't pass. No amount of scheming will make up for recruiting and training.

If your wide receivers are faster than their corners you can pass to them. If your corners are faster than their wideouts they can't pass on you. That fight gets won on National Signing Day, not on Saturdays in the Fall.

Game-day planning makes a difference when (a) teams are physically well matched, or (b) one of the coaches is doing a great job with inferior talent, against a coach doing a terrible job with superior talent.

Win on National Signing Day, then teach the kids their positions, and you'll win 9-10 games a year. Brilliant coaching, especially the coaching that happens at halftime, wins the other ones.

Unfortunately, it appears we hired a "quarterback whisperer" who is failing on every level, from recruiting to teaching to game-planning and adjusting, and boring us as a bonus.

As for waiting for the LSU game, the only thing I'm wondering about is whether they hit 300 yards rushing.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You sound as frustrated as most everyone else is. I too feel that this game is it...We either come out and play every damned down like it means something or pretty much pack it in for the season. Players? Coaches? I for the life of me can't figure which to be more frustrated at. It almost seems like no one gives a rats ass about what this program should be about......Maybe SOS should do the pre game speech? Something...freakin anything...

Right, it would be different if the players went out there and played every down as if it meant something and looked proud to be Gators, but I just don't see that, and that's what bugs me the most. I can't decide if it's more on the coaches not motivating the players or the players for not giving it their all.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The hope was to come out with our hair on fire for the Vandy game to flush the UT crap out of our system - didn't happen and that was very, very disappointing. I don't know if the coaches just can't motivate these guys or what. I know when I was young and playing competitive sports, I had no problem getting motivated, even for a measly pickup game. I didn't need a coach to get me pumped up - it was usually the other way around, having them trying to calm me down.
I'm a pretty big pumper, but it's LSU or bust for me as well - we have to defend the Swamp this Saturday or this season's lost. And I don't even want to think about season's beyond this one if that happens.

Last edited:

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Right, it would be different if the players went out there and played every down as if it meant something and looked proud to be Gators, but I just don't see that, and that's what bugs me the most. I can't decide if it's more on the coaches not motivating the players or the players for not giving it their all.

That's the part that makes this year feel so much like 1979. Does anybody else from those days long past get the same feeling?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Nuss keeps calling 2 yard passes on 3rd and 8 i'm not sure LDR being back will help matters that much.
Goolsby can be a match-up problem down the field, but for whatever reason he seems to only run routes
to the flats. Usually on 1st and ten off a boot, or 3rd and long, and usually has to stop to catch the ball. Instead of being led by the QB.
The result is he either gets drilled for a short gain, or has to make several defenders miss to get anything other than a 2-3 yard gain.
We can be more efficient sticking with Scarlett and a combo of Perine/ Cronk depending on down and distance. Where did the 3 TE set go from
a year ago? Our YPC was pretty good when we would run wide to that side. The bootleg will be more effective off that formation as well. Knight might
have hands of stone , but he is more than capable of getting in a backer's way.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That's the part that makes this year feel so much like 1979. Does anybody else from those days long past get the same feeling?
I think the problem in '79 was talent, pure and simple. There was plenty of "want to do", just not enough "ability to do". A 26 year old former gardener was our QB, for goodness sake.

These teams we've had the last 6-7 years have had plenty of talent, just not the right coaching. The number of successful former players in the pros proves that.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the problem in '79 was talent, pure and simple. There was plenty of "want to do", just not enough "ability to do". A 26 year old former gardener was our QB, for goodness sake.

These teams we've had the last 6-7 years have had plenty of talent, just not the right coaching. The number of successful former players in the pros proves that.

We have talent at the skill positions, we have an extreme lack of talent / experience at the most important group on offense, the offensive line... and at DT. The other teams defensive line (including UNT and UMASS) lived in our backfield, and the other teams guards/centers are getting to our linebackers cleanly. We have both a talent and a scheme problem.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We have talent at the skill positions, we have an extreme lack of talent / experience at the most important group on offense, the offensive line... and at DT. The other teams defensive line (including UNT and UMASS) lived in our backfield, and the other teams guards/centers are getting to our linebackers cleanly. We have both a talent and a scheme problem.
I don't disagree with your o-line sentiment. My post was in response to his '79 team post.

Our o-line has consistantly underperformed for a half dozen years. At least in comparison to those of top teams. They provide no push at all and have given up an embarrassing number of sacks. That said, a number of offensive linemen from those underperforming lines are now playing in the pros. That goes back to coaching.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

There's some validity to this.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I know this: I'm not planning my Saturday around Gator football anymore. I am running the Army Ten Miler in DC on Sunday. I'll go to the DC Armory and get my race packet, maybe have lunch....I'll look at my phone from time to time to check the score...and I'll watch the replay when it's convenient for ME. I'm done getting worked up and wasting good Saturday afternoons watching that sh*tshow. And all the pumpers can suck it. You're pretty much stupid or ignorant or 2/3rd's retard if you think this is program is heading in the right direction!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I dont remember the 70s, but this is the least talented team since the mid 80s without a doubt and the recruiting rankings back that up. If you dont think recruiting is a huge part of the problem, you have your head in the sand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator