DC Patrick Toney & the Defense

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
It is predicated on complexity though and that might be where things are going sideways. Also when I watched that App. St game, UL's D line was dominant and really disruptive particularly the R DT. Most of this board has been bitching for years about our shytty recruiting. To all of sudden act like we have the talent but the schemes is fked is BS.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I've been saying that I don't think it's necessarily the scheme. No rush on the QB, puts it on the DBs, and the DBs are able to handle it. I think most of the problem is you're trying to change a system to a decent scheme and you're playing with Todd Grantham Personnel. We have been bytching for the last few years about no DL and LB recruitment. It is really showing now. But I feel this staff is going to keep the scheme, learn it (be damned the consequences), and get the personel they need. No way around it in the SEC, you have got to put pressure on the QB.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Toneys entire scheme is about making the QB uncomfortable with pressure, changing looks, confusing looks and exploiting weakness. I think this defensive team went from business math to Trigonometry and they are very confused each.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
So bad gets worse. Yeah, that's usually how it goes. One player not doing his job is all it takes for a play that was schemed correctly to go south and we have a ton of that in every game. Now, if you want to blame Toney for not benching Princely and Dean....I'm with you. But I am betting when GNFP come out you going to see more of players not executing plays correctly so until that gets cleaned up it won't matter.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
It’s not the same unit. Elam is gone, along with our best passrushers/LBs Diabate, Moon, Carter and Hopper

Now we got a lacking secondary with little to no passrush and what you see now is the result
We were getting 35 plus sacks when TGs Defense was average. Guys like Polite/Greenard masked a lot of our safety woes. We currently have what, 13 sacks in 7 games??

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No....I'm good...Just needed to pay you back :lol:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Saw this little snippet on SDS weekly email.
This is how fast a team can turn this around mid season, IF, the coach just isn't the right coach or, not running a scheme to reflect the overall abilities of his unit.
Specifically speaking of the DC here though......

"Mickey Joseph is settling into his role as interim head coach and the Huskers are responding, winning back-to-back games after a comeback against Rutgers in Week 6. In that game, Nebraska erased a 13-point deficit and did not allow a second-half point. That made it back-to-back games that the Huskers have shut out their opponent after halftime."

"What changed? Asked that question, Joseph was blunt and to the point, saying Nebraska "made a change at defensive coordinator. That's the change." That change was removing Erik Chinander after back-to-back games of allowing 40+ points and elevating Bill Busch to DC. Even without mentioning his name, that's a solid amount of shade thrown by Joseph. As for Busch, he deflected the credit away from himself and onto the response of the players."

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It’s not the same unit. Elam is gone, along with our best passrushers/LBs Diabate, Moon, Carter and Hopper

Now we got a lacking secondary with little to no passrush and what you see now is the result
We were getting 35 plus sacks when TGs Defense was average. Guys like Polite/Greenard masked a lot of our safety woes. We currently have what, 13 sacks in 7 games??
It would be great to have Hopper.
Moon and Diabate were not good to put it mildly . Miller is a clear upgrade over those two guys . Though Moon tried hard after Miller got hurt . Losing Ventrell really crushed our team last year . We have him back this year and probably lose to Missou without him .

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
You don’t cripple / set back the install of your system over the hardheadedness of 1 man, especially one who’s gone soon. You get everyone else their experience whilst training his replacement to be ready when the times comes to either bench him or fill his spot next season. Hopefully the sooner rather than the later.

Ppl trying to throw shade at Toney by blaming the Safeties Coach yet the other safeties did their jobs ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.