Defensive Line

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Elite pass rushers but I still think a power running team committed to it would wear this line out. Not sure if KY can do it with their talent level but the more talented teams that like to run power some I think will be an issue. I doubt we hold up against the run as good as last year against Georgia and LSU. Joseph being gone at LB is an issue against the run also I think.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Lets pump the brakes on saying this undersized DL will be one of the greats. That scUM OL was just barely better than a high school team. UT Martin OL is better.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know this is a thread about the D-Line, but no one is giving Miller any love at LB. What happened to Burney? Miller was in on QB sacks and pressure all night.

Burney like in the spring game didn't seem to have a good feel for finding the ball carrier.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
@ltraz

Not specific to DL but general to the defense. Will Miles interviewed Jack del Rio about why he was interested in Grantham while Oakland and why the Bengals were interested this year. Basically said his defense was very similar to a lot of pro defenses conceptually (its a more detailed discussion in the article than I’m summarizing here). That said, I thought you’d like this tidbit:

“Grantham uses a combination of zone and man coverage, which can make Cover 2 resemble quarters, and in doing so, utilizes different tools to enable help defenders where assistance is needed and add pressure where he wants stress. Adjustments are made based on personnel and the opponent. In essence, that kind of scheme is supposed to combat the rise of spread offenses, which have infiltrated the NFL from college. Grantham’s knowledge of how to operate against speed in space as offenses try to stretch defenses horizontally made him an attractive candidate.”

Assuming this paragraph is correct, it seems like Mullen did 1 of 2 things: 1) made a poor choice because the spread offenses aren’t as prevalent in the SEC or 2) made a choice ahead of its time because spread offenses are working their way into the leagues top offenses. Either way, how does that explain Mizzou? That was the only true whipping the good guys took last year. Kentucky was tight throughout. UGA was tight into the 4th. Mizzou decimated us. I dunno, thought you’d find it interesting as a discussion point.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt we hold up against the run as good as last year against Georgia and LSU.
which is scary because we were 1-1 and the win was close. I hate feeling this way but expect to get bludgeoned by their run games. Neither of those teams really wants to pass in the first place. And our small line is begging to be tested. Expect a constant barrage. Either we handle it or we get smashed.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The article speaks about the money Grantham is now making... went from $1.5 to $1.8M!!! Wow, no wonder Grantham isn’t jumping jobs - that’s top scratch for a college DC. Wish we would find a more budget friendly guy and dump money across the assistant pool for upgrades. I’m sure there are some hot up and comers that would take half of that and produce as good or better results on the field or on the trail.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I guess we save by not having to pay for a top OC as well. I wonder how our overall assistant salaries compare to other schools in the SEC? I’d bet it wouldn’t be far behind most - Grantham salary almost assures it.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I can’t believe this needs to be said again, but, f v c k grantham.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.