Del-Rio running his "glory hole" once again

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't forget, if we're going to start paying players then we should be allowed to cut the dead wood too. This would not go well for many FBS players.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
And the schools make MILLIONS, especially the big ones. Apparel deals, TV contracts, ticket and merchandise sales, jerseys with players' specific numbers on them that they don't see any revenue from, and the list goes on and on.

Where does that money go? It goes back to provide for football and all the other sports and facilities. It's not like the NFL where it goes into the owner's pockets. The money is used for all the athletes. I never understood this line of thinking. Th

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
He's got a point. Butt could slide down the board because of that injury and lose a pretty good amount of money. I saw something last night that said he has an insurance policy of up to $2M if he drops past the 2nd round, but that's a one time payment, and his yearly salary will be taking a hit. He won't be able to work out for scouts or participate in the combine, and OTAs are probably out of the question, as well. I won't say last night's game was completely meaningless, but nobody was winning any championships. I absolutely see both sides of the coin on the whole players not playing in bowl games issue.

He has a point, but he also is revealing an NFL attitude in a not very good college players. He really needs to take his degree and go intern with his father.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
He has a point, but he also is revealing an NFL attitude in a not very good college players. He really needs to take his degree and go intern with his father.

He's smashed into his ceiling as a player, but I'd be happy to have him as a graduate assistant at UF. He knows the system (even though he can't execute it). I think he could be very valuable helping Allen get up to speed as quickly as possible.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
These 18-19-20 year olds CFB players have been doing the grueling workouts, enduring aches & pains since
they were 10 years old, all with no $-pay. Now they arrive at an organization (college) that lays out money to
provide the out-of-reach expensive stage and format where they can "practice", advance, and audition their richly marketable skills to the NFL. Plus, they get free (by scholly) what most in college have to go into long-term debt
to graduate with very doubtful avenue to wealth. Certainly not exploitation.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Exploitation?
This. What a bunch of crap. The kids receive the gigantic benefit of being provided the stage to have the chance. Either finish your commitment to the school & your teammates or stay the fk out to begin with.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The cost of education argument is a bit flaccid. How many of these kids get a degree is Recreational Science or whatever it's called today? The degree they get does not hold any real value. Yes some take advantage. Some of those who couldn't get in otherwise do get solid degrees they would not have otherwise. But, to say they have gotten this phenomenal education and degree is just disingenuous. There are too many points and counterpoints. The real issue is that we have a bunch of kids who couldn't get through community college being admitted to these Universities.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The cost of education argument is a bit flaccid. How many of these kids get a degree is Recreational Science or whatever it's called today? The degree they get does not hold any real value. Yes some take advantage. Some of those who couldn't get in otherwise do get solid degrees they would not have otherwise. But, to say they have gotten this phenomenal education and degree is just disingenuous. There are too many points and counterpoints. The real issue is that we have a bunch of kids who couldn't get through community college being admitted to these Universities.

This is true. The cost of the degree may be a $100K-$150K but the value may be far less. You've got athletes that don't belong in college, and you've got athletes that don't belong on the field. I'm pretty sure that you can't expect to get any degree you want and also make practice. I went through the EE program at UF and that easily took up 70+ hours a week. No way I could've been involved in anything extracurricular.

I don't think there is an easy solution because accountability is no longer a moral value. People no longer do what is right simply because it is right. You can do whatever you want as long as you can come up with an excuse.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is true. The cost of the degree may be a $100K-$150K but the value may be far less. You've got athletes that don't belong in college, and you've got athletes that don't belong on the field. I'm pretty sure that you can't expect to get any degree you want and also make practice. I went through the EE program at UF and that easily took up 70+ hours a week. No way I could've been involved in anything extracurricular.

I don't think there is an easy solution because accountability is no longer a moral value. People no longer do what is right simply because it is right. You can do whatever you want as long as you can come up with an excuse.

Well many do get opportunities/jobs many times other students don't get when going out in the world because of their former player status if they keep their noses clean.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And the schools make MILLIONS, especially the big ones. Apparel deals, TV contracts, ticket and merchandise sales, jerseys with players' specific numbers on them that they don't see any revenue from, and the list goes on and on.
Those poor exploited apple engineers

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He sent out a positive tweet to our potential recruits:

http://gridironnow.com/florida-qb-luke-del-rio-message-gators-recruiting-targets/

Florida quarterback Luke Del Rio laid out a strong message with some sage advice on Twitter for recruits holding offers to play for the Gators.

Follow
Luke Del Rio @Ldelrio12

Remember this when committing!!!! #GatorMade #Gators17https://twitter.com/coachsmithuf/status/817590342291779589 …

10:58 AM - 7 Jan 2017

According to the graphic provided by the SEC Network, Florida ranks first at least among SEC schools in first-round draft picks since the common draft era began in 1967.

View image on Twitter
C1iqE5kWIAAehLp.jpg:small

Follow
Ryan Smith @coachsmithUF

As we get closer to Signing Day!!!! #GatorMade

11:35 PM - 6 Jan 2017

In total, Florida has had 46 first-round picks in the draft. Alabama follows suit in second with 42, with Tennessee (39), Texas A&M (28), LSU (26) and Georgia (25) in third, fourth, fifth and sixth.

If early projections are correct, the Gators could see a handful of players selected in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft and retain their current standing. Linebacker Jarrad Davis, defensive tackle Caleb Brantley, cornerback Jalen “Teez” Tabor and cornerback Quincy Wilson all could be potential first-round picks.

Alabama has at least six potential first-round picks in the upcoming draft.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting. And we all know the 1st rounders are who make the big $$$ in the NFL.
:chomp:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
He sent out a positive tweet to our potential recruits:

http://gridironnow.com/florida-qb-luke-del-rio-message-gators-recruiting-targets/

Florida quarterback Luke Del Rio laid out a strong message with some sage advice on Twitter for recruits holding offers to play for the Gators.

Follow
Luke Del Rio @Ldelrio12

Remember this when committing!!!! #GatorMade #Gators17https://twitter.com/coachsmithuf/status/817590342291779589 …

10:58 AM - 7 Jan 2017

According to the graphic provided by the SEC Network, Florida ranks first at least among SEC schools in first-round draft picks since the common draft era began in 1967.

View image on Twitter
C1iqE5kWIAAehLp.jpg:small

Follow
Ryan Smith @coachsmithUF

As we get closer to Signing Day!!!! #GatorMade

11:35 PM - 6 Jan 2017

In total, Florida has had 46 first-round picks in the draft. Alabama follows suit in second with 42, with Tennessee (39), Texas A&M (28), LSU (26) and Georgia (25) in third, fourth, fifth and sixth.

If early projections are correct, the Gators could see a handful of players selected in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft and retain their current standing. Linebacker Jarrad Davis, defensive tackle Caleb Brantley, cornerback Jalen “Teez” Tabor and cornerback Quincy Wilson all could be potential first-round picks.

Alabama has at least six potential first-round picks in the upcoming draft.

So Bama will probably tie or pass us this draft and the others are going to start making up a lot of ground if things don't start picking up in recruiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.