Del Rio showing touch (other practice vids, Davis big hit)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wasnt that Deonte Thompson or one of the other receivers? I dont recall it being said by anyone else. We still had Nurvous and Daztard wanting to run the option.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I remember during Timmy's senior campaign all the morons who were ready for him to graduate so a "real quarterback" could play. :facepalm:

Brantley might not have ended up being anything, but it didn't help that the OC was forcing a Pro-Style quarterback to run the option. Especially against Bama. I can understand receivers wanting to routes run and thinking with a pro-style qb that it might happen. But the OC liked his option offense too much. What would have been of Tebow's senior campaign and NFL career along with Brantley's college career if an actual OC was OC during 2009-2010?

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Brantley might not have ended up being anything, but it didn't help that the OC was forcing a Pro-Style quarterback to run the option. Especially against Bama. I can understand receivers wanting to routes run and thinking with a pro-style qb that it might happen. But the OC liked his option offense too much. What would have been of Tebow's senior campaign and NFL career along with Brantley's college career if an actual OC was OC during 2009-2010?
An actual OC wouldn't have stopped him from folding up like a lawn chair every time the pocket started collapsing :lol:

It was frustrating to watch.

SGG

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Wasnt that Deonte Thompson or one of the other receivers? I dont recall it being said by anyone else. We still had Nurvous and Daztard wanting to run the option.
I forget which player said it, I just remember the message boards being full of idiots clamoring for Brantley over Tebow.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
An actual OC wouldn't have stopped him from folding up like a lawn chair every time the pocket started collapsing :lol:

When you are running the option with no real running ability, get your leg tore up from it. Initially I was upset, then it was just sad for the kid. They put him in an offense that put him in a position to succeed, should never have offered him a scholarship due to fit. The Bama DT ran him down from behind. Addazio also put Tebow in a position to get injured early and often, while also not truly developing his ability to read defenses and run timed passing plays. It was Tebow superior athletic ability that keep us going in 09.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It was indeed Thompson which led to this....I'll bet this is how Ox talks to URG when he f vcks something up around here...

SGG

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
When you are running the option with no real running ability, get your leg tore up from it. Initially I was upset, then it was just sad for the kid. They put him in an offense that put him in a position to succeed, should never have offered him a scholarship due to fit. The Bama DT ran him down from behind. Addazio also put Tebow in a position to get injured early and often, while also not truly developing his ability to read defenses and run timed passing plays. It was Tebow superior athletic ability that keep us going in 09.
I don't disagree about Dumbazzio or Tebow's athletic ability, just saying. Maybe Brantley would have been fine elsewhere, maybe not. Who knows.

I just know he was replaced by a guy who now plays special teams for the Eagles and another guy who now plays tight end for the Redskins, and neither of the three had any business playing quarterback for the Gators. It was a shyt show.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe Brantley would have been fine elsewhere, maybe not. Who knows.

As my initial point was, I don't know if he would have amounted to anything.... which was the first line in my initial response. But never had a chance with Addazio at OC. Which played a role in his early career and in my opinion Tebow being ready for the NFL.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, so the throw was late. Good point.

The throw was a little late. He should have thrown it before he came out of his break vs. just after and that would have allowed him to catch it more in stride. That said... it is still a very good throw with touch in the rain. The timing should come as they work more in practice so hopefully that ball comes out a little earlier.

I think even with the throw not being 100% perfect, you can appreciate the accuracy and how much of an improvement this is over what we had the second half of last year.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

When you are running the option with no real running ability, get your leg tore up from it. Initially I was upset, then it was just sad for the kid. They put him in an offense that put him in a position to succeed, should never have offered him a scholarship due to fit. The Bama DT ran him down from behind. .
This is basically what I was planning on adding. Had Brantley not been destroyed by Bammer in that game and then had to play hurt the rest of the season I think he would have been fine. There was enough of an adjustment in the earlier games for him to succeed and he was. Then Bammer happened and he played scared the rest of his career. Could never get over that hump.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think even with the throw not being 100% perfect, you can appreciate the accuracy and how much of an improvement this is over what we had the second half of last year.
Amazing how fast some forgets that we've only had one QB in the last 5 or 6 years who could make that throw and that guy screwed up and is now at WVU. If LDR or someone else is at least average this season we will be able to consistently run a modern functional offense....I'll take that.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Amazing how fast some forgets that we've only had one QB in the last 5 or 6 years who could make that throw and that guy screwed up and is now at WVU. If LDR or someone else is at least average this season we will be able to consistently run a modern functional offense....I'll take that.

To be honest... I'm not sure Grier had the touch to make that throw. Tebow really didn't either. Leak was probably the last guy who really had the touch to drop a ball in there like that.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
To be honest... I'm not sure Grier had the touch to make that throw. Tebow really didn't either. Leak was probably the last guy who really had the touch to drop a ball in there like that.

I am curious to see how Grier does end up working out at his new destination. I am sure he will be decent but I am not convinced he is destined for big things. He had a real good 5 quarters here in reality and came right back down to earth in the game against Missouri. Watching that Ole Miss game the play calling really had Ole Miss on the ropes and confused but it looked like Missouri had enough tape on what we had been doing that it wasn't so easy in that game and Grier looked average in that game again.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am curious to see how Grier does end up working out at his new destination. I am sure he will be decent but I am not convinced he is destined for big things. He had a real good 5 quarters here in reality and came right back down to earth in the game against Missouri. Watching that Ole Miss game the play calling really had Ole Miss on the ropes and confused but it looked like Missouri had enough tape on what we had been doing that it wasn't so easy in that game and Grier looked average in that game again.

McElwain mentioned that once a team has 6 games of film on you, you either get better or you get exposed.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
While we're at it, let's bring up more $h**** memories of Brantley completing 2 yard passes on several 3rd and 6+ situations.
Remember this offense?

1st down: Run with Reed, 1 yard gain.
2nd down: Run with Burton, 1 yard loss.
3rd down: Put Brantley in, incomplete pass/3 yard pass.
4th down: Drink bleach.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
The throw was a little late. He should have thrown it before he came out of his break vs. just after and that would have allowed him to catch it more in stride. That said... it is still a very good throw with touch in the rain. The timing should come as they work more in practice so hopefully that ball comes out a little earlier.

I agree 110%, ATX and could not have said it better in a hundred years. I too am excited about the possibility/probability of an effective passing game (kicking game too) after surviving the post-Tebow dark ages which reached their nadir under Harris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.