Diabate Tweets on S&C Program

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Interesting that I've never even heard the term "nutrition" used in discussions of CFB until I read Napier's list of football stuff that he pays attention to. Now this. I guess I just always assumed we were feeding our horses healthy oats.
This is why I started the whole "CEO vs Head Coach" thing in regards to hiring a new "Head Coach."

During the Cold War, the biggest NATO competitions were the Canadian Army Trophy (CAT Cup) for tanks and Boeselager competition (for reconnaissance/scouts). In 1987 and 1988, the US dominated them both for the first time because an "administration" finally decided "we're going to win these fukkin things," picked the best "CEO" (and leader) to do it, then gave him a near blank check to win. This guy, for the first time, brought in things like a NUTRITIONIST, a sports psychologist, physical trainers, didn't allow smokers on the teams because it affects night vision... then they trained, and dominated. No one had ever heard of a nutritionist in the mid-80's for Army schit, but someone thought about it and did it as part of the program. Stunning that it's 2021 and it sounds like we've got the "lunch lady land" servin' schit up!

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
How could any professional running the nutrition program do this no matter what anybody would say or do. We were to have a first class program in this area, I wonder who is watching the store and Strickland needs to go for not actually watching what is happening. I would be having a meal with them on a regular basis without telling anybody I was coming. Like say Mr. Sam back in the days when he arrived with the truck and held folks accountable.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
By all accounts Napier was looking for a certain set of conditions in a program in order for him to accept a job, and turned down some programs like Auburn in the process. So hopefully that means the UF admins showed him they were willing to give the program whatever support Napier says it needs. Say what you will about McElwain but at least he stood up and publicly called out the admin for throttling the football programs potential. He got the ball rolling on facility upgrades.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Including Savage. Maybe it's fair, maybe it's not, but we need a fresh start everywhere in the program - a completely new mentality.

Yep, Savage too. Not sure why anyone wants to keep him, except the players. But the players don't have a say. They just went 6-6, their coach got fired, couldn't score vs. Kentucky, UGA, and gave up 52 points to a 1-AA school. smh

I said this earlier, but had we not hired a 28 y/o inexperienced S&C coach he may have seen what was going on w/ the nutrition staff and demanded a change. But instead, we had a kid running the show who was happy to be making a six figure salary so he went along w/ the status quo and 'just happy to be here'.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve got the McDonald’s app on my phone in a “Shop” folder I created for my desktop. I don’t have to go through the drive-through. I just punch pay when I get on the lot to make sure location services doesn’t think I’m off premises. I go to the space I assign myself and I wait. I never even have to touch anyone. I always use the 20% off coupon. Lunch is cheap and fast.

Maybe that’s what’s wrong here. Mullen didn’t pass on the 20% savings to the UAA. Shame on him.

MistaJ

Nov 23, 2021
This type of stuff impacts recruiting as well. On the Gators Breakdown podcast with Bill Sikes, Bill mentioned that when recruits go to Georgia they get loaded up on chick-fil-a compared to when they go to Florida they get a hotdog. It's just not good enough but it sounds like something Napier is going to change.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, the food they give people who pay tens of thousands of dollars a year in the sky boxes sucks so why should we be surprised that no attention or imagination is given to the food they give the players? It seems to me UF's motto since forever is, "Just enough is good enough. After all, we're Florida!".

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
By all accounts Napier was looking for a certain set of conditions in a program in order for him to accept a job, and turned down some programs like Auburn in the process. So hopefully that means the UF admins showed him they were willing to give the program whatever support Napier says it needs. Say what you will about McElwain but at least he stood up and publicly called out the admin for throttling the football programs potential. He got the ball rolling on facility upgrades.

Was going to post something almost identical. Very well stated. It seems that with every hire, we see new revelations of how far we'd slipped. McElwain got some of that rolling. Then when he was out players were talking about the jazzercise and stretching that the previous S&C coach was doing. Seems like Savage got some of that corrected but then this is revealed. Hopefully it gets corrected quickly so we can actually see what some of these guys are capable of.

I won't be a homer and say Napier is the only guy that could correct things. I think someone like Cristobal could as well. But we absolutely needed someone that was wanting to completely overhaul a culture and would settle for nothing less. Anything else(guys like Kiffin) would merely be kicking the can and we'd be still dealing with this 4-5 years from now. They would win some games in spite of all this garbage, but we'd never be elite. We needed someone who insists on that.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Was given 2nd hand info that BM called Butterteeth during the interviewing process and asked about the state of the program and was told there's some staff that has been there for 20+ years, worthless and needs to go. Maybe this is what butterteeth was referring to.
Also said BN did a lot of due diligence on the program before committing.
Let's hope it's all in writing. Hey admin it's ok to spend that SEC and TV money

Of course when I posted this in the BN thread Donk laughed at it.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Was going to post something almost identical. Very well stated. It seems that with every hire, we see new revelations of how far we'd slipped. McElwain got some of that rolling. Then when he was out players were talking about the jazzercise and stretching that the previous S&C coach was doing. Seems like Savage got some of that corrected but then this is revealed. Hopefully it gets corrected quickly so we can actually see what some of these guys are capable of.

I won't be a homer and say Napier is the only guy that could correct things. I think someone like Cristobal could as well. But we absolutely needed someone that was wanting to completely overhaul a culture and would settle for nothing less. Anything else(guys like Kiffin) would merely be kicking the can and we'd be still dealing with this 4-5 years from now. They would win some games in spite of all this garbage, but we'd never be elite. We needed someone who insists on that.
Yeah. It sounds like Napier has a clear vision of how he thinks a program should be set up and run, and he's had the benefit of seeing and being a part of 2 of the best programs in the country... No that that's anything new. There's a lot of Saban disciples in the bread line right now. But it's at least encouraging that he said yes to Florida's situation after turning down other big time schools. That would seem to hint that UF admin at least recognizes the pitfalls of how they have been doing business and are ready to go all in to fix it. What's encouraging to me about the Napier hire is even if he fails I think his floor is Ron Zook. He might get fired but I think he can reset the roster to top of the SEC talent, and set the program up for success in the future.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’d think they at least tolerated if not mandated. I don’t know how much control Eddie had so I’m blaming on the AD.
Probably it matters MOST to the football team but really sports nutrition is a department wide thing. We should be giving our gymnasts or baseball players Big Macs either.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
and was told there's some staff that has been there for 20+ years, worthless and needs to go. .
You think Im not aware?

Ive been saying Fooley & Com are garbage since the 90s and screwing about their Big Lots ways.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. It sounds like Napier has a clear vision of how he thinks a program should be set up and run, and he's had the benefit of seeing and being a part of 2 of the best programs in the country... No that that's anything new. There's a lot of Saban disciples in the bread line right now. But it's at least encouraging that he said yes to Florida's situation after turning down other big time schools. That would seem to hint that UF admin at least recognizes the pitfalls of how they have been doing business and are ready to go all in to fix it. What's encouraging to me about the Napier hire is even if he fails I think his floor is Ron Zook. He might get fired but I think he can reset the roster to top of the SEC talent, and set the program up for success in the future.
that's where ive landed. Whether we win big or not, it sounds like he will be the guy that will finally drag the UA into the 21st century, get us on solid, competitive footing with the other bluebloods, and put some talent back on the roster. Worst case scenario, the table is set up very nicely for the next guy and the job becomes, once again, a marquee destination that will make the marquee coaches pause and consider. We had that after Spurrier and Zook. It fell off after meyer because everyone was scrambling to catch up to Meyer while we were doing nothing to maintain our competitive edge.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is why I started the whole "CEO vs Head Coach" thing in regards to hiring a new "Head Coach."
It is still a terrible idea, no matter how often the Borg repeats it.

It is damn near impossible to find a semi competent OC bc they get hired so fast to be HCs.

We are really going to struggle. Hell even Saban has struggled with garbage OC after garbage OC (Mcelwain, Nussdrunk, Daboll, OBrien all trash).

We will struggle even more bc when a Kiffin or Sark is available, we wont hire them.

Big Game Bob is the only guy who was good at hiring OCs. I hope Napier is on the phone w him.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Was given 2nd hand info that BM called Butterteeth during the interviewing process and asked about the state of the program and was told there's some staff that has been there for 20+ years, worthless and needs to go. Maybe this is what butterteeth was referring to.
Also said BN did a lot of due diligence on the program before committing.
Let's hope it's all in writing. Hey admin it's ok to spend that SEC and TV money

Of course when I posted this in the BN thread Donk laughed at it.
As much as we all can't stand Butters, he knows first hand how things have been done at UF. The fact that Napier has a relationship with him and can talk to him frankly, and STILL want to take the UF job is a very good sign. It's also is a clear indication he knows exactly what he's up against walking in, which is a good thing. I think some of our past coaches were unpleasantly surprised at how things were done after they got in the door.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I think too much is made about the tree/disciple thing. It helps if someone has seen how things should work, sure. But I think it's the opposite of what is commonly thought. I don't think regular coaches go to work for Saban, or Meyer or anyone else and become great because of it. I think guys like Saban and Meyer purposely surround themselves with driven, competent people who were going to be solid regardless. There are misses, like Daz and others, but most of the time they go after guys who they feel are probably on their way to becoming successful head coaches. Stoops and Spurrier is a good example.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think too much is made about the tree/disciple thing. It helps if someone has seen how things should work, sure. But I think it's the opposite of what is commonly thought. I don't think regular coaches go to work for Saban, or Meyer or anyone else and become great because of it. I think guys like Saban and Meyer purposely surround themselves with driven, competent people who were going to be solid regardless. There are misses, like Daz and others, but most of the time they go after guys who they feel are probably on their way to becoming successful head coaches. Stoops and Spurrier is a good example.
Agreed. It can't hurt, but i also don't think it means much. Mullen was a "Meyer disciple". Meyer emphasized recruiting and special teams and Mullen apparently doesn't give a **** about either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator