Diamondbacks

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My buddy Mooch belongs to a hunt club in Emanuel County near Swainsboro, Georgia. This time every year they get together for a snake hunt to cut down on the rattlesnake population on their land. It's a pretty big affair, this year they had about 100 people come for the food and the lies they all tell. They grilled about 50 chickens for Saturday and Saturday night started smoking 20 pork butts for Sunday. Theres a group that comes in every year from Kentucky. Mooch said that there used to be a bunch that came from a snake-handler church in Kentucky, but apparently a couple them died from snakebites and it's supposedly illegal there now.
These snakes are dug out of the gopher turtle holes and out from under dead tree stumps. They check the holes by sliding a rubber hose into the hole and blowing into it then listen through the hose for the snake to rattle. Then the use shovels to uncover them. They caught about 12 this year.

Here's one picture of 3 of the larger ones.
Emanuel%20County%20Diamondbacks_zpsade60lhz.jpg
Emanuel%20County%20Diamondbacks_zpsade60lhz.jpg

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
It's not the big ones that are the problem. It's the babies. Those little suckers don't know how much venom is needed to kill something. A lot of times the big ones will dry bite humans because they know they can't eat us. Babies drain their supply on people and it is not pretty.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's not the big ones that are the problem. It's the babies. Those little suckers don't know how much venom is needed to kill something. A lot of times the big ones will dry bite humans because they know they can't eat us. Babies drain their supply on people and it is not pretty.
I'll defer to your wisdom, but no thanks on either option.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I took a quiz a few years back on the Animal Planet website. They sent me an Animal Expert badge. Their words, not mine.
I guess you didn't see the part where the quiz was for kids under 10? You stole some kids Animal Expert Badge Ray.
Never-Smile.gif

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here are some pictures from their snake hunt last year
boston%20b%20utts_zpsayqlzpfo.jpg
Boston butts and yardbirds
HPIM0493_zpscwf0hish.jpg
diamond back and canebreak rattlers

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I was raised in southern Polk County (50-60-70's), there would be a minimum of two six footers killed every month. Some people would pour a little gas in the garden hose and the snake came out of the gopher hole in a hurry, no shovel necessary. By the way, they taste pretty good fried or grilled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator