Did Grier do enough to claim the job?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Let's also remember that Wuerffel and Leak both had ugly wins on the road at Kentucky their freshman seasons. Not saying Grier will be on their levels, but let's remember that a freshman on the road won't always light the world on fire.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
[QUOTE='78;n281848]Does anyone find it odd that he keeps throwing the ball into the dirt? I mean, WTF. :lol: [/QUOTE]
Yes. Don't know why. Some passes are accurate.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I think with a sketchy offensive line, Grier's quick release is a big advantage. He makes up his mind quickly, and either gets rid of it quickly, or runs FORWARD. That's a nice change after several years of seeing our guys sit back there, and either getting pummeled or else running sideways and backwards.

I just see more upside in him than Treon. Keep him in there and give him the reps. Give him the experience. LIke others have said, there is a greater than zero chance with him taking a weekly beating that Treon will get playing time soon enough.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't like the original question. The question should really be of Grier did enough to land the job. All that matters is if Mac thinks he did. My guess is the añswer is yes.

JohnCoctostan

Oct 27, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;281874 said:
Let's also remember that Wuerffel and Leak both had ugly wins on the road at Kentucky their freshman seasons. Not saying Grier will be on their levels, but let's remember that a freshman on the road won't always light the world on fire.

True but they each threw big time TDs in the 4th qtr. Grier was not very good tonight but he's young so we can hope he improves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No but I think he starts until the coach thinks he is doing alright or thinks he needs to make a change for sure.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n281821 said:
He didn't have any carries. I'm not sure if they mentioned Cronkrite's injury on TV, we heard it on the radio during the 3rd quarter.

oldtimeradio-1-1.jpg

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he has for now, but on a week to week basis he will still need to prove it.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I thought Grier took off way too early way to much. If that's what McElwain wants then play Treon. Grier is in there because of his arm. That being said, the play calling didn't help Grier at all. If you don't have time then call quick, dink and dunk passes. It's been about 5 years since we ran a quick slant. Taylor was open all night with the flare pass out of the backfieldbackfield and we never threw it. The quick WR screen works, use it. The QB is not going to get 5 step drops with this oline. Quick passing game is all we'll have.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Yes unless he makes a lot of mistakes or gets hurt. Either are possible especially since he seems to have to run. Game tape will show if our receivers are still having issues getting open or if the QB is not finding them quickly enough. The offense is still not operating correctly by a large measure and it is not all oline issues.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n282041 said:
I thought Grier took off way too early way to much. If that's what McElwain wants then play Treon. Grier is in there because of his arm. That being said, the play calling didn't help Grier at all. If you don't have time then call quick, dink and dunk passes. It's been about 5 years since we ran a quick slant. Taylor was open all night with the flare pass out of the backfieldbackfield and we never threw it. The quick WR screen works, use it. The QB is not going to get 5 step drops with this oline. Quick passing game is all we'll have.

You just answered your own question for why he ran as much as he did. Frankly, I think he's a tremendous runner. So long as he doesn't get hurt, let the guy run and learn how to read SEC defenses in the meantime.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n282041 said:
I thought Grier took off way too early way to much. If that's what McElwain wants then play Treon. Grier is in there because of his arm.

Defenses respect the pass more w Grier. Grier showed he can run. Treon can pass also, that part is overplayed too. Treon actually throws a better long ball especially seam routes. Grier imo is better at the short stuff, quicker at getting g the ball out, and better at reading defenses and his progressions.

Treon has played SEC games. Grier hasn't. I guess Mac thought it was important to get him game time to see if he can adjust. It takes time for the game to slow down for a player.

I wonder why we were playing an injured and turnover prone (at this point) Qb late in a close game but I'm not a Qb guru who has seen all the practices. Maybe we are trying to help him make that adjustment.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n282108 said:
Defenses respect the pass more w Grier. Grier showed he can run. Treon can pass also, that part is overplayed too. Treon actually throws a better long ball especially seam routes. Grier imo is better at the short stuff, quicker at getting g the ball out, and better at reading defenses and his progressions.

Treon has played SEC games. Grier hasn't. I guess Mac thought it was important to get him game time to see if he can adjust. It takes time for the game to slow down for a player.

I wonder why we were playing an injured and turnover prone (at this point) Qb late in a close game but I'm not a Qb guru who has seen all the practices. Maybe we are trying to help him make that adjustment.

My take is that Jimmie Mac has settled on Grier for the sake of the future and is going to live with the misery of this rebuilding year in an effort to make us better in the (near) future. Lord knows, he could blame the entire miserable season on MussyChamp and everyone would buy it

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
[QUOTE='78;n282085]

You just answered your own question for why he ran as much as he did. Frankly, I think he's a tremendous runner. So long as he doesn't get hurt, let the guy run and learn how to read SEC defenses in the meantime. [/QUOTE]

I think everything was coming at Will a bit faster last night. Once he gets more used to the speed of SEC play, things will slow down for him and he'll hang in the pocket a bit longer. Might not get to that comfort level before the end of the year, but in the meantime, he does a good job of going north/south when he does take off.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The guy has tremendous physical abilities, probably better than any Florida quarterback I've seen in 40 years as a Gator. He needs time, experience and polish, and it's happening now. The potential payoff is so high, it's impossible to put a number on it. This guy is worth all the investment.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think the offense would have done any better with Harris. I do think the we still win with Harris, but with his tendency to hold on to the ball longer, he sets himself up to be more susceptible to sacks. Grier wasn't perfect by any means but he did enough things well. Plus, the ineffective run game put more pressure on him. This game would be tough for any young QB.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Grier is a very good QB. He seems to have great instincts that he won't have time to get a pass off he punishes the
D-rush to be our best RB. He can get a pass completion into well covered WRs & TEs which will always look like
a throw at risk of INT. Still, that's what makes a great QB. IMO, I believe Grier is on that path. His weakness comes
from weaknesses elsewhere in our inexperienced other 10 players Gator players.

Grier is "stuck" with being the team leader operating with a totally alien offensive package (Auburn now has that alien).
Grier & sidekicks will be developed and I think it will happen at excellent speed. Plus, our recruiting will develop into
the Top Ten quickly too.

That was an extremely difficult venue for a "novice" like all our players to perform in, plus Kentucky is on the rise
to competitiveness in this SEC. Chump's Gators would have been a bit torn apart by this UK event.

However, we are lucky to have "in the wings" a very differently capable backup QB. Mac may have to juggle QBs
along the line (OL) that Spurrier did here.? We are "sneak-peeking" at Michaelangelo's early chisels on the masterpiece
that turned into David. We just have to pay for it until it turns into a beauty -- a Gator sculpting beauty.

Awaiting better recruiting numbers, we have already had an instant development of receivers, portending a fine
future for GatorNation. May the pass be with us.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Stoops threw the kitchen sink at WG last night. Combine that with our OL issues, Grier did well. Kept his composure and toughed out a win. He made some freshman mistakes, but yes he is our QB and apparently with Mac sticking with him last night, he will continue to be.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n282178]The guy has tremendous physical abilities, probably better than any Florida quarterback I've seen in 40 years as a Gator.[/QUOTE]

Driskel had more physical abilities, but obviously not more mental abilities.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n281874 said:

In Wuerffel's defense he didn't start that game. he just finished it, after I believe all three quarterbacks had a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator