Difference in Athletic Leadership

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There are a number of similarities in the carreers of Harbaugh at Michigan and Mullen at UF. Both are bigger name head coaches who have under performed. Both received extensions this year based on performance. One AD actually handed the extension based on resume, the other well fuch Stricklin

Harbaugh Salary before extension: $8,054,000 (4th in the Nation)
Mullen Salary before Extension: $6,070,000 (10th in the Nation)

Harbaugh Salary after extension: $4,444,444 (32nd in the Nation)
Mullen Salary after extension: $7,570,000 (6th in the Nation)

Buy out after extension:
Harbaugh: $4,444,444
Mullen: $12,000,000

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There are a number of similarities in the carreers of Harbaugh at Michigan and Mullen at UF. Both are bigger name head coaches who have under performed. Both received extensions this year based on performance. One AD actually handed the extension based on resume, the other well fuch Stricklin

When did Dan Mullin become a bigger name coach?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
When did Dan Mullin become a bigger name coach?

I believe it is when after the 2020 season, the word was that more than half of the NFL was poised to make a huge offer to Cousin Eddie to come and be the savior of their downtrodden franchise. That in and of itself put Cousin Eddie in a comparison with a coach who was a HC in the NFL, went to the Super Bowl as a HC in the NFL (and not as a spectator). Therefore, i.e, e;g. for example, ergo Cousin Eddie =to or > Hardballz.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
the mich AD actually reduced the annual salary and buyout for harbaugh? what a novel idea. it's almost like a performance based response. crazy.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
the mich AD actually reduced the annual salary and buyout for harbaugh? what a novel idea. it's almost like a performance based response. crazy.

Yeah that was an awesome move by them a year ago. It was actually ripped by a lot of people, but has turned out to be exactly on point. Neither party wanted a change, but UM was not willing to pay filet prices for a sirloin performance. Basically said we don't want to fire you because of your being a legacy, so we can either drop your pay or you can leave on your own. Love that approach and I hope boosters around the country have taken notice. They are throwing away hundreds of millions every year that are completely unnecessary.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Shoot, they should be paid at the end of the season. And only for wins or other performance related line items.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
bUt tHe NfL wOuLd tAkE dAn!!!

How embarrassing that his agent, in order to keep the premise realistic, had to go with the Jets. No way anyone would believe it if it were any other franchise. I can hear Sexton now.

"Dan, the last guy that went 8-4 took a position coach at Green Bay and apparently is a janitor now. We're not saying it's the Packers or Seahawks. Ok. It's the Jets and that's final. Get back to wakesurfing and let me do my job."

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Shoot, they should be paid at the end of the season. And only for wins or other performance related line items.
I would be on board with something like this. Like say the head coaches pay is 1.2 million a year with a 1 million bonus if bowl eligible, another million if championship eligible and a big bonus like say the last 3 million if they win a championship. I guarantee it would wipe the Kentucky smile off Dan's face

This model of championship level salaries and having more than one loss is unsustainable.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
What possible reason or calculus could the Florida AD been using to justify this? I’m asking for more than “because they are stupid and incompetent”. That much is obvious. Our trajectory as a program was negative, recruiting was evidently not well, Mullen’s choice for DC was suspect- and that’s polite, and his staff was warmed over Miss St assistants that have never amounted to much absent Mullen’s full support.

I’m surprised big Gators aren’t calling for Stricklin’s resignation. I cannot imagine a scenario under the circumstances that Mullen and his agent could have had the upper hand.

Beat georgia and won the East? That was the expectation at six million a year.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
What possible reason or calculus could the Florida AD been using to justify this? I’m asking for more than “because they are stupid and incompetent”. That much is obvious. Our trajectory as a program was negative, recruiting was evidently not well, Mullen’s choice for DC was suspect- and that’s polite, and his staff was warmed over Miss St assistants that have never amounted to much absent Mullen’s full support.

I’m surprised big Gators aren’t calling for Stricklin’s resignation. I cannot imagine a scenario under the circumstances that Mullen and his agent could have had the upper hand.

Beat georgia and won the East? That was the expectation at six million a year.

The issue is more to do with the starting point than the raises or extension. The $12 mil flat idea isn't terrible in comparison to some of these other disasters we've seen. It's only 6 up front. Where the issue lies, and where his agent did have the upper hand, is with the initial signing. After failed fiascos with Kelly and Frost we were negotiating from a position of weakness, not strength. Sexton knew it and played it well. Raises and extensions after a few decent years aren't unusual. The problem is we paid too much day one and likely knew it but couldn't risk seeing what was behind door number 4 for SS.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The issue is more to do with the starting point than the raises or extension. The $12 mil flat idea isn't terrible in comparison to some of these other disasters we've seen. It's only 6 up front. Where the issue lies, and where his agent did have the upper hand, is with the initial signing. After failed fiascos with Kelly and Frost we were negotiating from a position of weakness, not strength. Sexton knew it and played it well. Raises and extensions after a few decent years aren't unusual. The problem is we paid too much day one and likely knew it but couldn't risk seeing what was behind door number 4 for SS.

This is true - if we hired Kelly or Frost we wouldn't have paid either $6 million (I think Kelly got $3.75mil & Frost got $5mil at Nebraska). Mullen was making $4.8 million at MSU, so luring him was going to cost (I still think we could have gotten him for $5.5mil).

But the biggest 'WTF?' was giving Grantham $1.4 million. WHY???? Somebody needs to teach our AD's office the law of 'supply & demand'. NOBODY was trying to hire Grantham out from under us, NOBODY! THEN we gave him another contract at $1.8 million!! WHY??? Why TF did we pay him $1.8 million. And I'm guessing his buyout had something with retaining him last off-season.....a classic UF problem: cheapness.

But, on the 'cheapness" issue - we're finally paying proper salaries to our assistants (head coach has always gotten fair market within the SEC). And we still have coaches like Knox, Robinson, Montimer, English, etc - which shows that Mullen either (a) hires sh*tty assistants or (b) nobody wants to work with/for him (or both).

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But, on the 'cheapness" issue - we're finally paying proper salaries to our assistants (head coach has always gotten fair market within the SEC).
We arent really. Compare our salaries to Bammer and Ugly.

Then compare ours to Cowbell and Ole Miss.

Understand IM NOT SAYING THIS STAFF DESERVES EVEN WHAT THEY ARE BEING PAID. MOSTLY THEY DON'T. But if we offered top salaries we might attract top talent.

Of course everyone else in college football hate Dan Mullinz and the top tier coaches aren't working for him regardless and certainly not when he has in the absolute best case scenario a few more months to coach.

****ing Fooley still thinks we are the only state with sunshine and low taxes, so people should work for 1/2 price.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
But the biggest 'WTF?' was giving Grantham $1.4 million. WHY???? Somebody needs to teach our AD's office the law of 'supply & demand'. NOBODY was trying to hire Grantham out from under us, NOBODY! THEN we gave him another contract at $1.8 million!! WHY??? Why TF did we pay him $1.8 million. And I'm guessing his buyout had something with retaining him last off-season.....a classic UF problem: cheapness.
Reminds me of when Foley bid against himself for Butters when not a single team was going after him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We arent really. Compare our salaries to Bammer and Ugly.

Then compare ours to Cowbell and Ole Miss.

Understand IM NOT SAYING THIS STAFF DESERVES EVEN WHAT THEY ARE BEING PAID. MOSTLY THEY DON'T. But if we offered top salaries we might attract top talent.

Of course everyone else in college football hate Dan Mullinz and the top tier coaches aren't working for him regardless and certainly not when he has in the absolute best case scenario a few more months to coach.

****ing Fooley still thinks we are the only state with sunshine and low taxes, so people should work for 1/2 price.

That's UF's mantra in a nutshell. We're not paying for top talent. Instead we'll pay a marginal salary, attract marginal talent, and then be saddled with monstrous buyouts for 4-5 years after they're fired, which will ultimately cost us more in the long run. Since the signing of WM, we've probably paid what would've been Fisher or Saban's salary if we would've not gone cheap to begin with.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
There’s no guaranteed raise regardless of starting point. Was it by chance signed right after the georgia win but before the slide? Stupid waste of money regardless. For six million he’s supposed to beat georgia so one win in three tries would not, I hope, motivate me to pay him too 4 money. Stupid

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There’s no guaranteed raise regardless of starting point. Was it by chance signed right after the georgia win but before the slide? Stupid waste of money regardless. For six million he’s supposed to beat georgia so one win in three tries would not, I hope, motivate me to pay him too 4 money. Stupid

I get that and am on the same page as you. My point is that coaches do tend to get some kind of raise or extension after a few years, assuming they haven't bombed. It's as much to quell hotseat or leaving rumors in recruiting as anything else. Zook was offered an extension in the offseason of 2004, which he turned down. Mcelwain got one in the offseason of 2017. And I'm pretty sure they threw something WM's way after 2012. None of them did any better than Mullen, so it was bound to happen. I don't like it or agree with it. But it's just the business these days. That's what makes the Michigan move so impressive and hopefully a model that teams follow going forward.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's UF's mantra in a nutshell. We're not paying for top talent. Instead we'll pay a marginal salary, attract marginal talent, and then be saddled with monstrous buyouts for 4-5 years after they're fired, which will ultimately cost us more in the long run. Since the signing of WM, we've probably paid what would've been Fisher or Saban's salary if we would've not gone cheap to begin with.
Boom.

Saving money the Fooley.

And now we are going to have a $50 million facilty that costs 85 mil, and is about 1/4 as nice as our competitors.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
What NFL team runs the most screens? Can we kneecap a lower level assistant

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members