Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
VT played a pretty standard 4-3 w alot of press manin the secondary. We play a Saban 4-3 3-4 hybrid with a buck/rush/jack and his prostyle matchup zone, although we played more man under Chimp and some soft zone-usually at the worst possibke times--under Collins.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm not sure the differences because I haven't watched VT in a few years....I am sure we will find out if Collins in fact coaches, schemes and develops players next year because without Bullard, McAlister, Morrison, Neal and Hargreaves he won't be able to just tell the defense "do whatever you did before I got here"....time to refill the chalice, Collins....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, the defense has gotten worse each year under Collins at all of his stops. He is what he is, a mediocre DC. Brace for impact.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
VT played a pretty standard 4-3 w alot of press manin the secondary. We play a Saban 4-3 3-4 hybrid with a buck/rush/jack and his prostyle matchup zone.

This is somewhat true, for alignments. I could argue we run more of a 4-2 alignment with safety run support. Just wondering what schematic differences exist, if any.

I think VT ran a more cover 2 look with press and run corners. Maybe that's the answer I was looking for.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The only scheme you need is to play with INTENSITY and OVERCOME ADVERSITY DAMN IT!

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I think Collins is a decent coach but I would prefer a big name instead. I think he did a decent job with the exception of going soft at the wrong times. It probably carries over from the bedroom.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully we'll play alot more man this season because VH3 liked to stare down the qb, then get beat on the deep ball and that killed us several times last year.
See, this is the problem with ignorant people trying to analyze football. Let me help.

We played cover 2 the vast majority of the time under Collins. In cover 2 the the CBs have the short zone on each side. Usually 12 yards or so. Vernon was looking into the backfield BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT CBS AND LBS DO IN ZONE and it's why zone is best against the run. When you are weak against the run (weak at DT and LBs) you basically have to play that or get midlined.

In Cover 2 each SAFETY has the deep halves and are responsible for all those easy TDs everyone has thrown for the last two years while Maye and Neal snoozed and or bit on everything underneath. Just because VH3 happened to recover more quickly and somehow manage to be closer to the play than THE SAFETY WHO HAD THAT RESPONSIBILITY, doesn't mean VH3 was the one who fvkked up.

That's why VH3 is a first round draft pick and Marcus Maye was told to return to school. That's also why you aren't a first round draft pick as an analyst.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think Collins is a decent coach but I would prefer a big name instead. I think he did a decent job with the exception of going soft at the wrong times. .
This

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
See, this is the problem with ignorant people trying to analyze football. Let me help.

We played cover 2 the vast majority of the time under Collins. In cover 2 the the CBs have the short zone on each side. Usually 12 yards or so. Vernon was looking into the backfield BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT CBS AND LBS DO IN ZONE and it's why zone is best against the run. When you are weak against the run (weak at DT and LBs) you basically have to play that or get midlined.

In Cover 2 each SAFETY has the deep halves and are responsible for all those easy TDs everyone has thrown for the last two years while Maye and Neal snoozed and or bit on everything underneath. Just because VH3 happened to recover more quickly and somehow manage to be closer to the play than THE SAFETY WHO HAD THAT RESPONSIBILITY, doesn't mean VH3 was the one who fvkked up.

That's why VH3 is a first round draft pick and Marcus Maye was told to return to school. That's also why you aren't a first round draft pick as an analyst.
We weren't in cover 2 on all of those deep balls and intermediate routes where he was caught looking into the backfield and you know it.

VH3 was beaten in man coverage several times as well for doing the same thing. You're the only one arguing that he didn't fk up plenty of times. I like the kid, and I think he's a solid corner. I also think he'll get blown up at the next level by the good receivers like Jones and Green.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Just because VH3 happened to recover more quickly and somehow manage to be closer to the play than THE SAFETY WHO HAD THAT RESPONSIBILITY, doesn't mean VH3 was the one who fvkked up.
This was also partially due to the fact that our LBers were of no help with intermediate inside passes in the 8-15 yard range. It's asking a lot of any CB to cover half the width of the field with no LBer's to take away inside passing lanes and no support from safety's over the top.....Someone needs to show Collins film of Jelani Jenkins from 2011 & 2012. Have we even had one pass breakup from a LBer since Quinn left??? The reality is we do great against mediocre competition with average or less offenses but when the big boys show up with a power game it exposes our lack of functionality at both the Safety and LBer spot....see Bama, LSU, Michigan and even FSU for examples.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's true, and it's probably also true that the safeties toasted more often bc they had to cheat up bc of poor LB (and DT) play.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That's true, and it's probably also true that the safeties toasted more often bc they had to cheat up bc of poor LB (and DT) play.
Yep. Deficiencies at LB caused numerous breakdowns all over the field at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.