Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Only Ham Sammiches

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I "recycle" to the extent it reduces the content in my main trash bin.
This was the reason that we did it for years too. It got the bulky containers out of the trash can. I never believed that it actually helped anything and figured our county put it all in the landfill anyway. It went up to over $10/qtr so I canceled the "service."

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
This was the reason that we did it for years too. It got the bulky containers out of the trash can. I never believed that it actually helped anything and figured our county put it all in the landfill anyway. It went up to over $10/qtr so I canceled the "service."
Same, same. The day they charge me to recycle is the day I will stop!

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Yep, we are supplied two of the dump bins, blue for recycling, gray for trash.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Yep - and for the most part I now feel guilty if I don’t.
Not sure why or when that happened.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Since we're supplied cans both here and at the office for recycling I try to as much as possible. Since we have so many items delivered at both the house and office that come in cardboard boxes it greatly reduces the amount of space taken up in the regular cans even when breaking down the cardboard boxes.

I should/could do better with plastics though and throw my empty water bottles, milk jugs and others directly into the garbage without even thinking.

Since I'm a shareholder in Alcoa I singlehandedly support the price of aluminum by never recycling my beer cans...

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
It's pretty convenient these days. Remember when twenty years ago you would go to the recycle place (Walmart parking lot in my case) and have a separate dumpster for each color glass (brown, green, clear), plastic bottles, paper, cardboard, and cans.

Single stream dumping makes it pretty easy. Reduction of stuff in the landfill seems to be the biggest benefit - I don't think there is much money to be made on anything other than metals.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
No.

Other than when required to, which has turned into a disaster anywhere I lived that mandated it, starting with Gainesville when we were in college. Interestingly enough, everywhere I lived where it was mandated (including Gainesville), end up stopping it because they couldn't handle the load (TWSS).

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yes. We’re supplied with a large can on wheels and everything goes into it. I assume they sort it out at their facility. Couldn’t make it any easier really.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure crete manufacturers his own fertilizer for the plants in his yard.

But seriously. We do recycle at home because they supply two cans, trash and recycling, a d like others, less wasted space in trash can.

I think municipalities "recycle" it to the extent that they can find a buyer for the supply, but buyers are in low demand these days so a fair amount still ends up in landfills

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
We used to.
We don't anymore.
The breaking point was when I found out that all of our trash and recycling end up in the very same pile at our dump.
Our local services provide both type cans and don't discourage the options.
Still though, I often run into people that believe they're somehow saving the Earth and are better than we are so I give them the win, don't tell them, and scurry off to my cave.
Again, this is Valdosta Georgia and so your areas may actually recycle so you may want to verify.
But for our services, here, they actually spend MORE money for the consumer's choice and don't recycle because it's too expensive to do so at the dump as they would have to export the recycled material.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Are we the only ones that have to actually pay for recycle? When I stopped the service they came and took the can.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Sort of. I won't do it regularly at home because every trash service here charges extra for it...and it still ends up in the dump with a few exceptions.

I do "recycle" cardboard for the same reason mentioned above. Saves room in my normal can and the city has "recycle" dumpsters at the city gym where we workout in the mornings, so the only work is stopping to drop the boxes in the dumpster before or after the workout. I am still convinced the truck heads over to the neighborhood to fill up with garbage and then heads to the landfill.

We do compost for the garden.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Our recycle truck is one of the worst polluters on our road. Every Friday there is recycled trash on the road that has come out of the truck.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
I’m just thankful we don’t have deposits on cans, bottles, etc. That was and is the biggest bs state tax. Nothing worse than loading up garbage bags full of nasty beer cans, soda, bottles for .05-.10$ a can. Then waiting for some old hag to count your bottles, cans. You don’t think you’ll ever bring back cans, but a case of beer had an added cost of $1.20. The Natty was only $10 a case + $1.20 of “deposit” absolute BS. I bet they all are .10 now.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Aluminum cans, cardboard and milk jugs… the others are thrown away.

These are the only viable.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I’m just thankful we don’t have deposits on cans, bottles, etc. That was and is the biggest bs state tax. Nothing worse than loading up garbage bags full of nasty beer cans, soda, bottles for .05-.10$ a can. Then waiting for some old hag to count your bottles, cans. You don’t think you’ll ever bring back cans, but a case of beer had an added cost of $1.20. The Natty was only $10 a case + $1.20 of “deposit” absolute BS. I bet they all are .10 now.
But you could pay $0.05 per for a bunch of them in one state, then load up a mail truck and take them to Michigan for the $0.10!

seinfeld newman GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.