Does Fred Taylor belong in the NFL Hall of Fame?

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Yep, and can he have his picture showing him smiling with all the Gold Caps?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Let’s be honest here, he belongs anywhere he wants just for this alone.

Probably why I was such a big fan of his....I had to watch that game surrounded by Clowns in a sportsbar here in Orlando....Ruining their season the way we did down the stretch made sitting through the entire game surrounded by *******s well worth it....

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Fred came to UF with a bunch of fast running backs. I remember being excited by the reports out of camp that these guys were a threat to go all the way every time they touched the ball. E. Rhett was awesome (and one of my favorite Gators) but he wasn't a burner.

Fred's nickname was "Shake". Presumably this was for his moves on the field rather than any affinity for the crumbs at the bottom of a weed bag but I'll never know for sure.

The point is, he came in as a burner with moves. His strength came later as he added muscle and power and still kept his speed and moves.

Fred platooned with other guys (Elijah Williams, Terry Jackson, etc.). We knew he was good, but he didn't look like a star in 1994, 1995, or even 1996.

In 1997, the offense was struggling with Doug Johnson at the helm (at least by Spurrier's standards). By then, Fred was a complete RB. Strong, explosive, balanced, fast, shifty, secured the ball and could catch the ball--total package for a RB. It wasn't until a few games into the 1997 season that Spurrier realized the offense was going to work a lot better running through Fred than Doug. Once Spurrier figured that out, Fred had a Heisman-esque end to that season, including demolishing the best rushing defense in the NCAA. I believe Spurrier once said that if he had figured it out earlier, we might have repeated as National Champs in 1997.

Fred was drafted by a Jacksonville team that was pretty good with him, Mark Brunell, Jimmy Smith and Kennan McCardell, Tony Boselli, and a good defense. They went to the AFC title game in 1999 and lost a close one to the Titans.

Fred had 2 injury-plagued seasons in his first few years with the Jags. This earned him the unfortunate moniker "Fragile Fred" among fantasy football geeks. He was a durable back most of the rest of his career and didn't deserve the "injury-prone" reputation but unfairly or not, it stuck with him.

Also, the Jags went downhill after that late 90's/early 00's peak. Not only did the Jags have some lean seasons, but nobody watched the Jags play. Fred was great, but nobody was there to see it. Then, at the end of his career in Jacksonville, Fred would carry the ball right up to the goal line, but they'd give it to Maurice Jones-Drew for the TD. Fantasy owners hated Fred even more and you didn't even see his great play on Sports Center because they only showed M J-D scoring from the 1, not Fred doing the heavy lifting for the previous 79 yards.

I remember a play, I think it was against Pittsburgh but it might have been against Baltimore, Fred broke through the defense. A DB had a chance but Fred was able to run away from the DB. That DB wasn't some scrub...it was Rod Woodson. That's how fast Fred was.

He didn't have a long career like Frank Gore, but Fred was either the best or top 3 at his position for much of his career.

Yes, he deserves to be in the Pro Football HOF. Not sure about the do-rag or the gold tooth though. His visor was cool.

-
iu

Alex.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The man had seven 1,000 yard seasons and only one -- ONE -- trip to the Pro Bowl. Taylor was underrated.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I made a tradition of blowing off school and watching our highschools annual track meet the Bradford relays ( yes Starke ) and I had the lifetime lasting memory of watching John L run the 220 yd dash. The dudes thighs were the size of my waist and a blur as he ran past me on the inside lane, sounding like a damn freight train. Needless to say I became a big fan that day.

As for Fred, he probably deserved it over Boselli.

I got to see John L play a few games in high school and he was amazing to watch.
We all hear the “man playing among boys” line all the time but it truly applied.
He honestly looked like someone had put an NFL running back in a high school uniform. The defense had no chance.

Last edited:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did you read this chart at all? It references 20+yard runs as though it is measuring who had the most runs over 20 yards. But the chart and listed stats is just the all time rushing leaders PLUS 20 yards more than any of them ran. No idea what the actual 20+ yard runs stat is. But, this chart doesn't show that result.
Yeah, this looks like some AI generated statistics gone wrong.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Let’s be honest here, he belongs anywhere he wants just for this alone.

Damn....I remember that game like it was last Saturday. Yet, It seems like 30 years since we were relevant.
Will we ever get back to that?
Will the Swamp ever rock like that again????

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Damn....I remember that game like it was last Saturday. Yet, It seems like 30 years since we were relevant.
Will we ever get back to that?
Will the Swamp ever rock like that again????

15 years is still a king time.
Possibly.
Probably not. We’ll see. Different breed today and we focus on dancing in cargo shorts to music and then leaving the flashlight on our phone on when we put it back in our pockets. Still a maybe though.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

Discuss.

Yup.

His yards per carry is stupidly better than both Smith and James.
People knock him for his health while letting Davis slide when Taylor has slightly better YPC.
He's got more TDs than OJ - but was arguably less lethal off the field.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Fred belongs given his stats vs. those already in.

Other Gators who belong include Wilber
Marshall and Lomas Brown.
Fred came to UF with a bunch of fast running backs. I remember being excited by the reports out of camp that these guys were a threat to go all the way every time they touched the ball. E. Rhett was awesome (and one of my favorite Gators) but he wasn't a burner.

Fred's nickname was "Shake". Presumably this was for his moves on the field rather than any affinity for the crumbs at the bottom of a weed bag but I'll never know for sure.

The point is, he came in as a burner with moves. His strength came later as he added muscle and power and still kept his speed and moves.

Fred platooned with other guys (Elijah Williams, Terry Jackson, etc.). We knew he was good, but he didn't look like a star in 1994, 1995, or even 1996.

In 1997, the offense was struggling with Doug Johnson at the helm (at least by Spurrier's standards). By then, Fred was a complete RB. Strong, explosive, balanced, fast, shifty, secured the ball and could catch the ball--total package for a RB. It wasn't until a few games into the 1997 season that Spurrier realized the offense was going to work a lot better running through Fred than Doug. Once Spurrier figured that out, Fred had a Heisman-esque end to that season, including demolishing the best rushing defense in the NCAA. I believe Spurrier once said that if he had figured it out earlier, we might have repeated as National Champs in 1997.

Fred was drafted by a Jacksonville team that was pretty good with him, Mark Brunell, Jimmy Smith and Kennan McCardell, Tony Boselli, and a good defense. They went to the AFC title game in 1999 and lost a close one to the Titans.

Fred had 2 injury-plagued seasons in his first few years with the Jags. This earned him the unfortunate moniker "Fragile Fred" among fantasy football geeks. He was a durable back most of the rest of his career and didn't deserve the "injury-prone" reputation but unfairly or not, it stuck with him.

Also, the Jags went downhill after that late 90's/early 00's peak. Not only did the Jags have some lean seasons, but nobody watched the Jags play. Fred was great, but nobody was there to see it. Then, at the end of his career in Jacksonville, Fred would carry the ball right up to the goal line, but they'd give it to Maurice Jones-Drew for the TD. Fantasy owners hated Fred even more and you didn't even see his great play on Sports Center because they only showed M J-D scoring from the 1, not Fred doing the heavy lifting for the previous 79 yards.

I remember a play, I think it was against Pittsburgh but it might have been against Baltimore, Fred broke through the defense. A DB had a chance but Fred was able to run away from the DB. That DB wasn't some scrub...it was Rod Woodson. That's how fast Fred was.

He didn't have a long career like Frank Gore, but Fred was either the best or top 3 at his position for much of his career.

Yes, he deserves to be in the Pro Football HOF. Not sure about the do-rag or the gold tooth though. His visor was cool.

-
iu

Alex.
Great summary.

”Shake” came from his uncanny ability to shake off tacklers at the LOS, momentarily stopped then breaking away for a bigger run.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fred belongs given his stats vs. those already in.

Other Gators who belong include Wilber
Marshall and Lomas Brown.

Great summary.

”Shake” came from his uncanny ability to shake off tacklers at the LOS, momentarily stopped then breaking away for a bigger run.

Lomas Brown should have been inducted years ago but he may never actually get in.
He was employed by BSPN a decade ago and he made the statement that he despised Lions QB Scott Mitchell so much that he once intentionally allowed his defender to get past him in hopes that he would injure his QB.
Needless to say the self righteous members of the NFL and the media were all aghast by this revelation and he was universally condemned.

In review, one can rob, rape, or murder someone and be welcomed with open arms but say something that impugns the integrity of their corrupt business and you are an outcast.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No sh!t. Gore absolutely a HOF’er. Taylor also.

I’m no cane fan, and the STDs they often bring with them, but Gore was one knee injury away from being on a 4 volt scooter going in to the NFL. His making it as long as he did probably deserves some credit. HOF, not sure. But certainly credit.

I wonder if Gatorjoe is still sitting on that bench? It didn’t look terribly comfortable.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I’m no cane fan, and the STDs they often bring with them, but Gore was one knee injury away from being on a 4 volt scooter going in to the NFL. His making it as long as he did probably deserves some credit. HOF, not sure. But certainly credit.

I wonder if Gatorjoe is still sitting on that bench? It didn’t look terribly comfortable.
I hate scUM more than almost anyone but you got to give the guy his due. He was incredibly durable and consistent. 49ers all time rushing leader and number 3 on the NFL all time leading rusher list between Walter Payton and Barry Sanders. I think he’s a shoe in at some point. Hopefully Taylor gets in first though.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone who rushes for 10,000 yards in the NFL should get in. You know who else is on that list? Warrick Dunn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.