Does Urban Meyer Deserve a Spot on the Ring of Honor?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Look at his UF resume, obviously one of the top 5 coaches of all sports in UF history. One of the top two coaches in UF Football history. 2 National Titles. This isn't even a debate, the answer is yes.

Exactly

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Without Meyer the Ring has zero credibility.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
No brainer. He should headline the ring as far as i am concerned. He tenure at UF IMO was some of the greatest years for Gator fans. Certainly SOS years are right there as well so.....yes!

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He certainly deserves it for the great run we’ve had and I’d celebrate it if it happens...but I’d lose no sleep if he was left out. I agree the trouble the program was in was way overblown and hardly all his fault. I guess my not caring if he gets in or not is because while it was a great run it was very brief really. 3 of the 6 years here were outstanding and one was ok but propped up by Tim winning a Heisman. I guess I just don’t really care either way...but if he gets in hopefully it’s still a ways down the road. Maybe if he keeps coming around and supporting the program that would help ease others into accepting him back

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
No brainer. He should headline the ring as far as i am concerned. He tenure at UF IMO was some of the greatest years for Gator fans. Certainly SOS years are right there as well so.....yes!
Headline? I think that's a stretch. SOS is the clear headliner given his incredible accomplishments as both a player and a coach. There also isn't any Meyer era if there wasn't a Spurrier era so at best Meyer is right up there with Spurrier as UF's second best coach.

I agree with your overall premise though. Meyer's accomplishments, no matter how mercenary they may have been, are totally worthy of the Ring. I also agree with others that there doesn't need to be any rush. Time is healing the wounds and when it finally happens I think UF fans will be able to celebrate the unprecedented magic three years he and Billy D brought to Gator land.

It really is astounding to think back on 2006-2008 when we had a National Championship sandwich: 2 back to back basketball championships in between 2 football NC buns and a Heisman Trophy cherry on top. Good times!! ☺️

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Biggest no brainer ever. This should already be done. He won two national titles in 5 years. The entire program only has 1 other title in the other 100+ years. If Urban isn’t in the ROH, nobody should be.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Yes.
I personally have softened on ol Urbs; time heals all wounds I guess. It was a bit of a shock for Mrs. G and I to see him in Gator gear two weeks ago, but it faded quickly. The other picture that startled me a bit was seeing Mrs. Urbs with Mrs. CDM and Mrs. SOS doing "We are the boys." I thought it was kinda sweet; she did not have to do that and I'd hate to think it wasn't organic.
I'd be disappointed if anyone booed at the ceremony.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not yet. But eventually. Might as well stick to the current administration policy. That which should be done eventually should be done eventually.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Hell yeah he does. 2 natties in his short stay should put him there. But ... we are obviously ignoring the meaning of Honor when he is inducted ... just so we are all being honest about it. And it doesn't erase the fact that he ran away from UF after Saban whooped him.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
2 MNCs, 2 SECCs and the He15man. I’m okay with it, but he needs to be completely retired from coaching altogether before his name is added.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
2 MNCs, 2 SECCs and the He15man. I’m okay with it, but he needs to be completely retired from coaching altogether before his name is added.
Or.... if we can lure him back into the program in some capacity by throwing his name on the wall... maybe that would be a good idea. I’m sure Dan could use some help... You know, get the recruiting expert to help him shore up recruiting, etc.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Meyer years were great...of course he deserves to be in the ROH...

Hell, had it not been for Cam being Cam, he might stick around and win a third...

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Sure, Urban has personal, emotional and health issues and those seem to color our reaction to his time at UF. But there is an old saying: "walk a mile in my shoes" before trying to judge me. Had he not left UF, I think we would have had at least 2 more Natty's on the shelf. And for the sanctimonious among you, get over it. You had no problem with anything as long as Meyer's Gators were beating UGa, FSU. Tenn and the rest of them. So yeah, I will take the 2 he gave us in exchange for a place in the Ring. No other coach has brought us as much glory in so short a time.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
He wasn't likable. He appeared cold hearted and ruthless.

Percy agrees...

IbfWor.gif

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes. If we do it before he un-retires again, do we have a chance to land him?
Slight at best I would think.

My Urban odds for the long haul:

1) ESPN 3-1
2) Notre Dame 5-2
3) USC 10-2
4) Florida 50-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.