DT commit Jordon Scott

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good story here on Jordon Scott, DT from Pinellas Park HS. He plans to enroll early also.

We have 3 DT's committed for next year, including 1 JUCO. They weigh 345lbs, 350lbs, & 324lbs!!!

http://gridironnow.com/florida-commitment-jordon-scott/

345-pound DT Jordon Scott will head to Florida with chip on shoulder

By Ryan Green
Posted on September 28, 2016
jordonscott.jpg

COURTESY OF 247SPORTS.COM

Three-star defensive tackle Jordon Scott committed to Florida in May. One thing is certain about Scott: He is a large man with a large chip on his shoulder.

“Don’t look at stars; check out my highlights,” Scott told GN. “Some people let the stars get to their head. I think film should be the determining factor of how players get recruited, not stars and camps because camps are not real football. It’s nothing like putting those pads on.”

Scott (6 feet 1, 345 pounds), from Pinellas Park (Fla.) High in the St. Petersburg suburbs, is considered one of the top-60 defensive tackle prospects in the class of 2017.

Scott says he had many reasons in choosing Florida.

“Close to home, made me feel like family, and me and Coach (Doug) Nussmeier and Coach (Chris) Rumph have a great relationship,” said Scott, who lives about two hours from Gainesville.

Nussmeier, UF’s offensive coordinator, was Scott’s primary recruiter, and Rumph will be Scott’s position coach in Gainesville.

Scott chose the Gators over offers from several schools including Florida State, Louisville, Ole Miss and Tennessee.

Scott is looking forward to the opportunity to play in the SEC.

“It’s something I thought would never happen to me,” he said. “I’m excited to see where it can take me.”

Scott plans to be an early enrollee and said his first day on campus will be January 6, 2017.

When asked where he will be playing for the Gators’ defense, Scott said, “Everything on the interior defensive line.”

Scott is one of three defensive tackles pledged to the Gators, joining 350-pound Javier Edwards of Blinn College (Texas) and 324-pound Fred Hansard of Princeton (N.J.) The Hun School.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I hope he plays well. Rivals has him ranked as the 805th best national player. Next year on defense...all the "stars don't matter" people are going to choke on those words.

Get ready to play as a frosh Jordon, we're gonna need you.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully with 3 of these big bodies we can clog the middle.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hope he plays well. Rivals has him ranked as the 805th best national player. Next year on defense...all the "stars don't matter" people are going to choke on those words.

Get ready to play as a frosh Jordon, we're gonna need you.

I think stars matter at your athletic positions, but we have been burned too many times on linemen and DT getting 4/5 start linemen who didn't have size but at "the frame" to put on size. Then either couldn't do it, or lost their athletism once they did. I prefer to get a guy who is a space eater at 3* that already knows how to work with that weight.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I think stars matter at your athletic positions, but we have been burned too many times on linemen and DT getting 4/5 start linemen who didn't have size but at "the frame" to put on size. Then either couldn't do it, or lost their athletism once they did. I prefer to get a guy who is a space eater at 3* that already knows how to work with that weight.

Holy crap, you're sounding like Law!

And those are some big boys coming in next year. Just what we need.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Previous 5 star d-linemen - Ronald Powell, Gary Brown, Torrey Davis, Omar Hunter, Dominique Easley, Sharrif Floyd, Carlos Dunlap, Dante Fowler, Jonathan Bullard, CeCe Jefferson

That's a pretty high success rate. The only time I hear "stars don't matter" is when we're not getting them.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Size is Size, if we are going to run this scheme we need big boys. You can tell the difference in our D when our one big boy isn't at DT.

The good news is that (at least) 2 of these 3 are enrolling early (the JUCO also). I'm not sure what's up w/ the kid from NJ, but it would be great to get him in early also. Not only do they have spring football under their belt, but they'll be in the weight program for 8-9 months before game 1.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Young guys can play well, they just can't do it over and over again.

Young guys can be plugged in at certain positions (like CB) easier than other positions (like C).

It's better with young talent to be able to rotate them.

I'm afraid we're going to have to rely on young talent on D next year.

Hopefully by then our OL will be top tier and we'll have a strong power-running game to help the D out.

Alex.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Previous 5 star d-linemen - Ronald Powell, Gary Brown, Torrey Davis, Omar Hunter, Dominique Easley, Sharrif Floyd, Carlos Dunlap, Dante Fowler, Jonathan Bullard, CeCe Jefferson

That's a pretty high success rate. The only time I hear "stars don't matter" is when we're not getting them.

Good list with the exception of Brown and Davis (although Davis did make that great play in the national champ game). But, none of those guys were/are true big boy, Zero or 1 technique nose tackles like Mount Cody.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Scott needs to get stronger but he is quick and a beast on the field.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We know both Law and Sir Mix-A-Lot like big butts...for very different reasons.

Alex.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
hopefully they stay big...too many times when we get big bodies we trim them down to around 300

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Ok, now remove the DE's from the list, what is the average weight? Would they fit the defense we are currently running? Which is why I pointed out DT, at DE stars do matter, I want a 4/5 star DE. But at DT they matter less, if the guy is 260 and 5 star, or a 330 and 3 star. Give me the 3 star guy. Size is more important than stars at DT in our scheme.

Omar Hunter was 295
Jonathan Bullard 285 DT/DE
Sharrif Floyd 310 size is size
Carlos Dunlap DE
Dominque Easley 310 our of high school size is size
Gary Brown 275 did he ever show up?
Torry Davis 290 other than a play, did he show up?
Dante Fowler DE
Powell 230 DE
CeCe Jefferson 245 DE

So your argument hinges on 2 good 2 bad at DT? Omar Hunter who was solid, but took a while to gain weight.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The only time I hear "stars don't matter" is when we're not getting them.
True but 3 stars beat nothing. Anything beats playing guys that are sixty pounds underweight.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, now remove the DE's from the list, what is the average weight? Would they fit the defense we are currently running? Which is why I pointed out DT, at DE stars do matter, I want a 4/5 star DE. But at DT they matter less, if the guy is 260 and 5 star, or a 330 and 3 star. Give me the 3 star guy. Size is more important than stars at DT in our scheme.

Omar Hunter was 295
Jonathan Bullard 285 DT/DE
Sharrif Floyd 310 size is size
Carlos Dunlap DE
Dominque Easley 310 our of high school size is size
Gary Brown 275 did he ever show up?
Torry Davis 290 other than a play, did he show up?
Dante Fowler DE
Powell 230 DE
CeCe Jefferson 245 DE

So your argument hinges on 2 good 2 bad at DT? Omar Hunter who was solid, but took a while to gain weight.

I'm not arguing anything. I'm saying that stars do matter...a lot. I guess we'll see next year when our 3 star defense is out there. You still need talent to compete. Fine, we should absolutely be getting the 56th rated DT in next year's class. As long as he's big, who cares. My bad.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not arguing anything. I'm saying that stars do matter...a lot. I guess we'll see next year when our 3 star defense is out there. You still need talent to compete. Fine, we should absolutely be getting the 56th rated DT in next year's class. As long as he's big, who cares. My bad.

It's not necessarily that stars don't matter at DT. It's that you need a lot of defensive lineman to rotate and create depth in the SEC. You're not going to get 4-5 5* DTs a class. The majority of 5* DTs tend to be light but with large frames. Same with OL. I still want my four and five star players. But I'm OK with sprinkling in some three star players with size and agility.

So so in other words I'm fine with one 5* DT, and a mix of three and four star for the other DTs.

Same with OL. Give me a crap ton of 5* and 4* kids but I'm OK with a few 3* kids that have the size already just because we need the bodies. I don't know what the stats say, but probably a quarter of all lineman that enroll don't last the entire four years due to injuries.
I mean, I love the 5* players - Just don't give me 5* players with weight problems such as Humphries, Patchan, and Nixon.

That is not the case with skill positions. I don't want any three-star receivers, DBs, running backs, DEs, or quarterbacks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.