Dusty Rhodes Dead

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
RIP Dusty. Wasn't he the one with the "bionic elbow" label? Hard to keep them all straight. Especially from way back then!

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n233610 said:
RIP Dusty. Wasn't he the one with the "bionic elbow" label? Hard to keep them all straight. Especially from way back then!

That was his signature move.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't followed wrestling in over 30 years since it is basically really stupid crap but.............The American Dream was the best entertainer to ever grace the "sport?"

Really sorry to hear this. It is yet another reminder that I am not a kid anymore. RIP Dusty!!!

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I have a lot of memories related to Dusty. He started in Fl as a heel with his partner Dirty Dick Murdock. Gordon Sole was the best straight man announcer ever! I remember him riding a horse into the arena, and wearing a mask after he lost a loser leave town match. At least if my memory is correct. Seems like he was still wrestling in Japan not too long ago.

I wonder if his obesity had anything to do with his death?

RIP!!!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n233637 said:
I have a lot of memories related to Dusty. He started in Fl as a heel with his partner Dirty Dick Murdock. Gordon Sole was the best straight man announcer ever! I remember him riding a horse into the arena, and wearing a mask after he lost a loser leave town match. At least if my memory is correct. Seems like he was still wrestling in Japan not too long ago.

I wonder if his obesity had anything to do with his death?

RIP!!!

I am with you Vulcan. I remember he and Murdock as well. Dusty just never made a good heel, he was way too personable.

Championship Wrestling from Florida with Gordon Solie was the apex of wrestling. Once it went national instead of regional, it lost it's charm

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad;n233645 said:
I am with you Vulcan. I remember he and Murdock as well. Dusty just never made a good heel, he was way too personable.

Championship Wrestling from Florida with Gordon Solie was the apex of wrestling. Once it went national instead of regional, it lost it's charm

Yes my uncle used to harass me about it being fake until the set up fight at the end of one show got him excited. I informed him that it was just as scripted as the rest of the show. Other regional shows were not as good. Memphis had a long running show from the local TV channel. King Lawler got started by doing drawings for the locals. Chicago is another I have seen in the past.

Lots of great wrestlers went through Fl, back in the day.

Then there was a time of female wrestlers from I think Vegas. GLOW was a staple of Saturday mornings for a while, clean the apt. watch wrestling.

Perhaps this is a part of the reason that I am who I am today.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Remember him from the day when wrestling was good. RIP. Hope roids wasn't a contributor.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad;n233645 said:

I remember 'Dick the Bruiser' in the early 70s when I was a kid. He was one bad dude.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_the_Bruiser

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Man, this brings back memories of Wrestlemania back in the old Colosseum in Jacksonville. That place was sold out during those events. Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair were always my favs.

I'm actually surprised he wasn't dead already. RIP

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Probably the best match I have ever seen involved Johnny Valentine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Valentine

The Briscos vs the Funks. The Texas death match that he had with Sr. Funk for another shot at the championship was epic.

Those were the days a long time ago. Before the WWF / WWE and all the stuff of today.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Saw him live in a couple of memorable bouts. One vs Killer Carl Cox in a cage match and the other vs Wahoo McDaniel for a championship.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I watched Dusty Rhodes at the civic center a few times when I was a kid. Gordon Solie was there.

0.jpg

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n233654 said:
Remember him from the day when wrestling was good. RIP. Hope roids wasn't a contributor.

I doubt it as he never had the bodybuilder look.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Gator Fever;n233697 said:
I doubt it as he never had the bodybuilder look.

QFT. More like he always had the beer drinkin' redneck uncle's body look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator