Eagle Hunts a Fox

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I don't know about all Eagles, but to my understanding the bald eagle is a scavenger. Which is why I find the video very interesting. I'm also surprised that the other goat didn't really attack the eagle.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know about all Eagles, but to my understanding the bald eagle is a scavenger. Which is why I find the video very interesting. I'm also surprised that the other goat didn't really attack the eagle.
My guess is you don't know much about Golden Eagles since that's a Golden, not a Bald. :lol:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My guess is you don't know much about Golden Eagles since that's a Golden, not a Bald. :lol:

I only know about bald eagles. Which I know are scavengers. I know nothing about any other eagles. (Like this one - and no, I didn't think it was a bald eagle!)

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I saw a golden eagle once when I lived in Florida. It was a monstrous bird.

Right now I live in an area with a lot of bald eagles. They are always eating road kill.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I only know about bald eagles. Which I know are scavengers. I know nothing about any other eagles. (Like this one - and no, I didn't think it was a bald eagle!)
I'm almost positive all birds of prey would be considered "scavengers". Here's some interesting facts about Bald Eagles.

The bald eagle is an opportunistic carnivore with the capacity to consume a great variety of prey. Throughout their range, fish often comprise the majority of the eagle's diet. In 20 food habit studies across the species' range, fish comprised 56% of the diet of nesting eagles, birds 28%, mammals 14% and other prey 2%. In Southeast Alaska, fish comprise approximately 66% of the year-around diet of bald eagles and 78% of the prey brought to the nest by the parents. Eagles living in the Columbia River Estuary in Oregon were found to rely on fish for 90% of their dietary intake.

Bald eagles live along the coast as well as by major lakes and rivers. Even though they are fish eaters, they will take ducks and birds or whatever prey is available and easiest to obtain. They fish in both fresh and salt water. They do not generally feed on chickens or other domestic livestock, but they will make use of available food sources. Bald eagles will take advantage of carrion (dead and decaying flesh)

Picture a majestic bald eagle swooping low over a lake and catching a fish in its powerful claws. Yes, bald eagles eat a lot of fish—but they don’t always catch it themselves. They’ve perfected the art of stealing fish from other birds such as ospreys, chasing them down until they drop their prey. Bald eagles will also snack on gulls, ducks, rabbits, crabs, amphibians, and more. They’ll scavenge in dumpsters, feed on waste from fish processing plants, and even gorge on carrion (dead, decaying animals).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.