Early signing period.....

SecVolfan13

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Wanted you guy's opinion on this.
It's my understanding that the ESP was created to simply swing the leverage from the prospect to the university. By this I mean "put up or shut up" on Dec 20. The recruit can no longer be committed to a school yet still take visits, court other schools, de-commit and re-commit etc. etc. There are other reasons for the ESP but this one intrigues me.
What if a 4 or 5 star DE calls the bluff and say's "I'm committed to XYZ university but I'm not signing until Feb 7" Then what? Aren't we right back where we were? What if that 4 or 5 star loves the attention (and many do) and wants to take vacation visits all over the place until the dead period Feb 5th.
I refuse to believe a school would drop him, that ain't happening. You get a handful that do this in 2017, we have a lot doing it in 2018. At that point we come full circle and little has changed.
Am I missing something here??

BMF made a post in Oct about the ESP. I copied and pasted a piece from it below.

“If you’re not signing, you’re not 100 percent,” Baylor coach Matt Rhule told The All-American. “I didn’t get to my wedding day and tell my wife, ‘Well, let’s just continue to date.’ If they sign, they’re with you. If they don’t sign, it doesn’t mean they’re not with you, but it means they’re still open. At least it brings reality where both the player and the school know exactly where they stand.”

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
My question is this: if an athlete doesn't sign early, can he still be an EE and enroll for the spring semester?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think the schools benefit by getting some things hammered down in Dec, so they can focus on definitive needs beyond that. The student athletes who opt to do this are probably the ones who--like EE's--are completely sure of their decision and ready to either move on to college, or truly be able to enjoy the remaining part of their HS years, which have likely been a long stressful process. In a lot of the interviews, kids talk about the whole recruitment wearing on them, and it's only getting worse.

Plenty of recruits see Jan-NSD as the time to take OV's and they want to enjoy things up until the last minute. But the kids that are settled, and keep getting harassed months after they've made their decision should be given a little relief.

Seems like there are a few kids each year that fall victim to some of these recruiters by being wooed into an OV late in Jan. And suddenly the school they've been committed to for some time, and haven't OV'd in 6 months seems stale. They end up making an impulse decision that isn't really in their best interest, and leave their original school scrambling for a replacement(*cough cough* Nukeese). Again, that will always be the case to an extent. But if both parties can eliminate some of the headaches, I think it's a good thing.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It also eliminates other schools from harassing commits. Some kids are 100% committed and don’t want to be contacted by anybody else anymore.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It’ll be interesting to see what happens. 3* kids with offers from big time schools would be wise to sign early, guaranteeing their spot in the class.
The blue-chippers can afford to wait until January...unless they want to go to Bama.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
For kids who are sure it should be a relief to put it to rest before Christmas. For coaches, they don’t have to worry about those guys, which gives them more time to focus on the remaining pool. Plus, if you really have zero chance it’s better that they don’t soak your time and money for an OV.

I don’t particularly like it’s impact on hiring/firing, but this is Year 1 so hard to gauge.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like there are a few kids each year that fall victim to some of these recruiters by being wooed into an OV late in Jan. And suddenly the school they've been committed to for some time, and haven't OV'd in 6 months seems stale. They end up making an impulse decision that isn't really in their best interest, and leave their original school scrambling for a replacement(*cough cough* Nukeese). Again, that will always be the case to an extent.

You left out that part about the bagman

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Next Wednesday.

giphy.gif

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Works very well for kids who want to insure their position but aren't ready to EE. So it's not just a "put up or shut up" for the prospect, but also for the school.

Me likey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.