Educate me - football basics

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I've admitted in the past I've never played the sport, and as such there is a lot I simply don't know about it. Can those who know, please help me understand some of the following about in-game stuff:

Who determines which RB or WR is out on the field for a given play? How is this communicated with the OC? My impression is that the RB coach is on the Offensive headsets and can hear a request for a certain player, or respond that a certain player is not available. Otherwise he just sends out who he thinks should be on the field then, and maybe informs the OC or more likely the OC just sees the number and knows who he has.

How are the WR managed, in that I assume a player can run routes for certain positions (say X and Y but not Z?) so how do the kids know who is running which position when the players are mix-n-matched at any time, or are they sent on the field as a group that knows what they are assigned?

Basically, the two questions above are 'how are substitutions managed, and how does it effect lining up or play calling?'

==========

When we're on offense or defense, the other half of our team is on the bench catching a breather. I've seen/read where a OL will sit together, in position, and likely get some talking up from the OL coach. Do the other position groups do this? Get in the same area together, hear the same instructions from their position coach?

What about Special Teams (we can skip any Nord jokes here, I'm asking for how real teams do it)? Since they are typically not starters on O or D, do they hang out together and get any situation coaching or reminders from the ST coach?

=============

ON OFFENSE

We've watched where MacNuss has a scripted opening drive the past few seasons, but it didn't work this weekend. I can assume, but better to ask - do most teams script an opening drive?

Does anyone call a mini-script of 3-6 plays that the team knows what to do, has practiced it, and can be run at any point in the game? Basically, I'm looking for a comfort level for the players and a means to speed up the snap based on familiarity.

For the normal play calling, I assume the OC reads how the defense is playing (aggressive, rushing or covering, etc), and tries to anticipate a defensive blitz or call and sends down his own. Relative to when a play is whistled dead...when is the OC deciding what to run next, how long does the communication take to get to the QB? Does the OC have anyone informing him of when key defensive players are out, so he can try to exploit that? Does the OC request, or have anyone informing him of when key offensive players are available for plays he'd like to run with that person?

===========

There is probably more, but it is TL;DR already. Sorry for that, and thank you to anyone willing to share 'how' a team is managed during the game.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MacNuss doesn't know anything that is going on, on the field...

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Well most coaches just spin a wheel and whatever it lands on is whatever they run. Mac's wheel is blank however.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Basically a big part of our problem is that we are one of the slowest if not the slowest teams nationally in terms of tempo and amount of plays per game. There is hardly any room for error offensively because so few plays are actually being run.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I've admitted in the past I've never played the sport, and as such there is a lot I simply don't know about it. Can those who know, please help me understand some of the following about in-game stuff:

Who determines which RB or WR is out on the field for a given play? How is this communicated with the OC? My impression is that the RB coach is on the Offensive headsets and can hear a request for a certain player, or respond that a certain player is not available. Otherwise he just sends out who he thinks should be on the field then, and maybe informs the OC or more likely the OC just sees the number and knows who he has.

How are the WR managed, in that I assume a player can run routes for certain positions (say X and Y but not Z?) so how do the kids know who is running which position when the players are mix-n-matched at any time, or are they sent on the field as a group that knows what they are assigned?

Basically, the two questions above are 'how are substitutions managed, and how does it effect lining up or play calling?'

==========

When we're on offense or defense, the other half of our team is on the bench catching a breather. I've seen/read where a OL will sit together, in position, and likely get some talking up from the OL coach. Do the other position groups do this? Get in the same area together, hear the same instructions from their position coach?

What about Special Teams (we can skip any Nord jokes here, I'm asking for how real teams do it)? Since they are typically not starters on O or D, do they hang out together and get any situation coaching or reminders from the ST coach?

=============

ON OFFENSE

We've watched where MacNuss has a scripted opening drive the past few seasons, but it didn't work this weekend. I can assume, but better to ask - do most teams script an opening drive?

Does anyone call a mini-script of 3-6 plays that the team knows what to do, has practiced it, and can be run at any point in the game? Basically, I'm looking for a comfort level for the players and a means to speed up the snap based on familiarity.

For the normal play calling, I assume the OC reads how the defense is playing (aggressive, rushing or covering, etc), and tries to anticipate a defensive blitz or call and sends down his own. Relative to when a play is whistled dead...when is the OC deciding what to run next, how long does the communication take to get to the QB? Does the OC have anyone informing him of when key defensive players are out, so he can try to exploit that? Does the OC request, or have anyone informing him of when key offensive players are available for plays he'd like to run with that person?

===========

There is probably more, but it is TL;DR already. Sorry for that, and thank you to anyone willing to share 'how' a team is managed during the game.

Sounds like you know more than the staff.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

==========

=============

ON OFFENSE

===========

Yes

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Who determines which RB or WR is out on the field for a given play? How is this communicated with the OC?

What about Special Teams? Since they are typically not starters on O or D, do they hang out together and get any situation coaching or reminders from the ST coach?

Does anyone call a mini-script of 3-6 plays that the team knows what to do, has practiced it, and can be run at any point in the game?

For the normal play calling, how long does the communication take to get to the QB? Does the OC have anyone informing him of when key defensive players are out, so he can try to exploit that? Does the OC request, or have anyone informing him of when key offensive players are available for plays he'd like to run with that person?

All of the responsibilities mentioned above fall to Mac's long time assistant and right hand man. The guy who is the real architect and brains behind what we call "Mac Ball"........Coach Regan.

giphy.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who determines which RB or WR is out on the field for a given play?
The OC generally. Some players may take themselves out if they are winded after a long run. Or banged up. The play itself often dictates what personnel (ie double tight ends or maybe trips right).

How is this communicated with the OC? My impression is that the RB coach is on the Offensive headsets and can hear a request for a certain player, or respond that a certain player is not available. Otherwise he just sends out who he thinks should be on the field then, and maybe informs the OC or more likely the OC just sees the number and knows who he has.
They tend to know before hand "you are in this series" etc. There are some plays that are designed for a specific player (QB keeps or options designed for Toney and Zaire), but probably not the RBs. The OC is sending people in and out. Hopefully he is aware of who is on the field.

Well, my understanding is that our players tend to know only one position X, Y, or Z (also A and B). I don't know why. The offense is about as basic as it gets. Still I see things that just CAN'T be the way the coach called it, ie two receiver in the same spot.

OC manages who is on the field (generally, but as above tired or injured players may be out of his control). Honestly, dude, who do you think is making these calls? Think the kids are just self substituting? Of course the OC is.

It does sometimes AFFECT playcalling for instance when you are caught with a certain player on the field (ie no time outs in 2 min drill). And injuries or hot streaks may affect play calling.

They generally sit in position groups though they will sometimes just call all the starters or current players together for something.

STs start to congregate with their coaches or GAs when a kick or return is possible soon.

Kickers, holders, and long snappers stay together

There are scripted plays. Most teams script a few series. Maybe even some scripted series for say 2 min drill. I see no evidence that we are prepared for anything. I don't know why. The practices are closed.

Oregon ran these miniscripts a lot. It allowed them to move faster because everyone knew what the next play was. The defense couldn't switch players because the offense was moving so fast.

Expecting this out of Butters and Nuss is like pissing up a rope. They are the opposite of fast. It will be slow and deliberate as long as they are here.

How long does the communication take to get to the QB, obviously a long damn time. We are about the slowest team in the country, again.

As for blitzes, we don't see this stuff until the defense lines up, usually, though we should know their tendencies. It usually takes a QB audible to adjust. Meyer used to adjust the play a lot, remember the leming offense with everyone turning to the sideline. I don't see it with this group. They tend to just run whatever they called. It probably worked with INgram and Richardson.

Usually, an OC will have charts full of plays. Say it is 2 and 6 and he is running a play, he actually should have the next play already to go. He will likely have one play for say 3 and 6 and another for 3rd and short. It should be ready, and as soon as he sees the player tackled, the next play comes in.

He will also have some occasional special plays, plays designed to attack a strong safety or weak LB that just jogged on the field. Hundreds of options that they hopefully prepared in advance.

The OC calls the substitutions generally. Obviously, he does it over the headsets. There are many quality assistants and GAs helping. Yes, someone generally is watching the other team as they sub. Bama probably has 20 or 30.

We don't tend to attack anyone with a pass, injured or not. It is hard to attack a suspect safety or LB if all you run are screen passes.

Last edited:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Thank you. That's what I was hoping for. I may have more, but I appreciate the answers to these.

The OC generally. Some players may take themselves out if they are winded after a long run. Or banged up. The play itself often dictates what personnel (ie double tight ends or maybe trips right).

Derp - that makes more sense, as you want the right personnel for the play, as opposed to guessing what play to run based on the personnel you see.

OC manages who is on the field (generally, but as above tired or injured players may be out of his control). Honestly, dude, who do you think is making these calls? Think the kids are just self substituting? Of course the OC is.

I knew the players may pull themselves out if they are winded, I just wasn't sure who was sending kids in. It appears Nuss is calling similar plays regardless of personnel, specifically I am tired of watching Perine and Davis run the same plays between the tackles hoping one (Davis) can break through. Though, I get the idea of running at the same defender and wearing them down. Mostly, I didn't think the OC was making the calls, primarily because Nuss appears to have his hands full which led me to wonder who WAS making the personnel calls. It makes sense for an OC to make the substitution calls and plan for what WR group and RB to use the next series. However, in watching our games, I don't think I can have this expectation of Nuss. It just seems to be one more thing he isn't doing very well as I don't see kids being used properly - as if he doesn't have who he thought he'd have to run a play.

Again, thank you for the response.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator