Emory Jones' father responds to transfer rumors

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with everything except the creative use of Em-J. Glad he’s not wearing #23.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen sure likes to test our patience. He’s methodical in his approach to the point of maddening. We all tend to want everything yesterday. Mullen just plods along to his own playbook.

I really do think he’s done an excellent job of not rushing Jones into the mix too soon. It could pay off huge for us.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That kind of "Dad-backing" will serve Emory well.
In my head, I can run the Gator highlight film of Emory Jones driving these future Gators to an SEC championship. I certainly hope that in 2020 Mullin agrees to let Emory QB entire 50 to 70 yard TD drives. Even with poor OL blocking EJ glides through for 5-7 yard runs. His passing skills have been underused. Adding the likelihood that when WRs can't get open, EJ can scramble for "drive sustaining" gains. Under Mullin, EJ will be that well-rounded QB necessary for top competitiveness.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let’s make something clear right now. He’s no longer Emory or Jones or EJ. The name is Em-J.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope he doesn't get impatient.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As long as Em-J or EJ has the same mind set that Trask is the man like his dad.. you can bet the house that both will play, in every game. I just want Mullen to stop the stupid redzone QB swapping, give them either a full quarter, several series in a row to develop rhythm.

You have to love Em-J's dad didn't hold back on throwing the last bozo under the bus for putting Franks in the game when he wasn't prepared

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think the guy could play this year if we needed him to be the starter and for all we know he may have to(injury)He'll probably be more complete due to having the time to be developed as a pass first/run second QB instead of the other way around....I'd still like to see him put on another 10-15# before taking the reigns full time though....

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
A big part of the message is, once Emory takes over the offense he expects him to keep until he hands it off to Richardson.
It definitely keeps with the "play the upperclassman no matter what" that some complain about.
The downside of this loyalty is, how long would he have stuck with Franks. We know at least long enough to derail a good season.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Good to see his Father supports Mullen handling of his sons career. I'm looking forward to the O&B game.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Moving would mean a year off and learning a new system. He seems to be developing and the QBs seem not to be overly arrogant, surely Trask will assist him in becoming a more complete QB.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
EJ might screw up and win the competition this offseason. If he can advance enough passing wise, his running ability will push him over the edge.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there is a real good chance EJ gets the starting job next year.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there is a real good chance EJ gets the starting job next year.

In my opinion, he would have to be not just a little bit better to win the job. To overcome Mullen's conservative attitude, he would have to be almost perfect and I don't think that's possible.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In my opinion, he would have to be not just a little bit better to win the job. To overcome Mullen's conservative attitude, he would have to be almost perfect and I don't think that's possible.
I would suspect this is usually the case but given Mullins desire to run the option I don't think it's going to be the case in this instance. If Franks were still here and didnt get hurt (allowing Trash to play) I would say there's no way EJ gets the chance to start in 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator