ESPN FPI Projections 2019

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
upload_2019-8-1_14-34-26.png
Projected W-L: Projected overall W-L, accounting for results to date and FPI-based projections for remaining scheduled games (including potential conference championship games). May not sum to a whole number because of differing number of games played in each simulation.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
A lot of interesting things in this. This projects us at 4 losses, despite being the 8th highest FPI. Not surprisingly, it has UF with the 4th toughest schedule in the nation. Also, even with our past problems with Missouri, it's interesting (and just seems wrong) that FPI has us with a better chance of losing to either Missouri or South Carolina compared to Auburn.

Also, Miami and FSU being considered easier wins that the bluegrass rednecks, Cocks and Hillbillies is pretty funny.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
A lot of interesting things in this. This projects us at 4 losses, despite being the 8th highest FPI. Not surprisingly, it has UF with the 4th toughest schedule in the nation. Also, even with our past problems with Missouri, it's interesting (and just seems wrong) that FPI has us with a better chance of losing to either Missouri or South Carolina compared to Auburn.

Also, Miami and FSU being considered easier wins that the bluegrass rednecks, Cocks and Hillbillies is pretty funny.
One explanation is the weight put on home v. road games by the index.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

Just curious, how did you arrive at 4 losses?

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Just curious, how did you arrive at 4 losses?

It is a function of the percentages. For instance, if you play 4 games with approximately 75% of winning, that equates to projecting 1 loss from those 4. I double checked ESPN's website and they also end up calculating 8-4 (actually 8.2-4).

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Even computers overrate Tennessee at the beginning of every year.

"No really, we swear, this is the year they'll be good again!"

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Projected W-L: Projected overall W-L, accounting for results to date and FPI-based projections for remaining scheduled games (including potential conference championship games). May not sum to a whole number because of differing number of games played in each simulation.

Suck it, math.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think projecting 10 wins may be optimistic for some but at this time, why not?

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
What I find interesting is that ESPN's metric says that UF has a better chance of beating UGa in Jacksonville than at LSU. I find this particularly interesting given how often in the recent and not so recent pasts the road team and UF in Baton Rouge in particular wins in this series.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Miami, Auburn, Tennessee and LSU surprise me, by varying degrees but all for the same reason.

Less than a 1-in-3 in Death Valley against a so-so LSU team? Bring it.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I'm growing to hate Mizzou

Why? UMo have not really been that good or really good at all in the SEC. UF has stumbled against them a number of times since they have been in the SEC mainly because of UF coaching including last season. Hopefully Mullen will grow in this job and start limiting such performances this season.

The Lateral Move

Oct 9, 2018
What I find interesting is that ESPN's metric says that UF has a better chance of beating UGa in Jacksonville than at LSU. I find this particularly interesting given how often in the recent and not so recent pasts the road team and UF in Baton Rouge in particular wins in this series.

ESPN has always had a hard-on for Death Valley

The Lateral Move

Oct 9, 2018
Why? UMo have not really been that good or really good at all in the SEC. UF has stumbled against them a number of times since they have been in the SEC mainly because of UF coaching including last season. Hopefully Mullen will grow in this job and start limiting such performances this season.

Yeah I just mean because it seems like they always have our number. I think we tend to overlook them too. It's nothing against them personally. They run a super clean program so I don't "hate" them like I hate say, Miami.

I never would've thought we'd be 3-4 against them at this point since they joined the conference in 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.