ESPN+ Grading every team ever ranked by Committee

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
College Football Playoff era grades: Judging 91 teams over the past 10 years

The four-team playoff era has come to an end. It was a heck of a decade.

In all, 86 different teams spent at least one week ranked by the playoff committee, 25 were ranked in the top four, eight were ranked No. 1 and six won national titles.

But that math only takes us so far. What we really need is a full accounting of the four-team playoff era, a ranking slathered in math but ultimately as arbitrary as anything the committee has given us in the past decade.

No so surpising top 4

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. OSU
4. UGA
5. MICH
6. OU
7. LSU
8. ORE
9. Notre Dame
10. Washington

18. Florida Gators
Record:
76-50
Average SP+: 14.6 (16th)

Kids, you won't believe this, but there was a time, not all that long ago, when the Florida Gators were considered a genuine power in the college football world. Indeed, on Dec. 5, 2020, the Gators beat Tennessee to move to 8-1 on the season, jumping all the way to No. 3 in the AP poll. A week later, a guy threw a shoe, Florida lost to LSU, and since then, everything is pain. Before the shoe throw, Florida was 45-26 in the playoff era, with three top-15 finishes, three 10-win seasons and two New Year's Six bowl wins. After the shoe throw, the Gators are 17-24 and just 10-23 against Power 5 foes. The lesson here? Footwear is not a projectile.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t get people who support Billy. He’s literally the worst performing coach in my lifetime.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I don’t get people who support Billy. He’s literally the worst performing coach in my lifetime.

Beware the slow, southern accent. It automatically wins over a certain segment of fans(everywhere, not just here). He truly presents as if he knows what he’s talking about and his opening press conference was great. Then he showed up day one and the rest is history.

1709660718290.gif

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Beware the slow, southern accent. It automatically wins over a certain segment of fans(everywhere, not just here). He truly presents as if he knows what he’s talking about and his opening press conference was great. Then he showed up day one and the rest is history.

View attachment 68046
But you should see what he’s done with the Penske file.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
College Football Playoff era grades: Judging 91 teams over the past 10 years

The four-team playoff era has come to an end. It was a heck of a decade.

In all, 86 different teams spent at least one week ranked by the playoff committee, 25 were ranked in the top four, eight were ranked No. 1 and six won national titles.

But that math only takes us so far. What we really need is a full accounting of the four-team playoff era, a ranking slathered in math but ultimately as arbitrary as anything the committee has given us in the past decade.

No so surpising top 4

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. OSU
4. UGA
5. MICH
6. OU
7. LSU
8. ORE
9. Notre Dame
10. Washington

18. Florida Gators
Record:
76-50
Average SP+: 14.6 (16th)

Kids, you won't believe this, but there was a time, not all that long ago, when the Florida Gators were considered a genuine power in the college football world. Indeed, on Dec. 5, 2020, the Gators beat Tennessee to move to 8-1 on the season, jumping all the way to No. 3 in the AP poll. A week later, a guy threw a shoe, Florida lost to LSU, and since then, everything is pain. Before the shoe throw, Florida was 45-26 in the playoff era, with three top-15 finishes, three 10-win seasons and two New Year's Six bowl wins. After the shoe throw, the Gators are 17-24 and just 10-23 against Power 5 foes. The lesson here? Footwear is not a projectile.

Yeah before the shoe we were really world beaters..... If the covid year had any defense played what-so-ever... would even be a statement. We had good but not great teams in 18 and 19 but we all knew we wouldn't be playing for anything. Were we really playing for anything after the 09 season? Even in 2020 the most die-hard fans knew that it was just a matter of time before the other shoe dropped. McElwain that shark fucher took us to two SEC championship games to get prison raped by Bama. Can you honestly say that we were really in the conversation as a National Title contender in the last almost 15 years. In 2012 we would have been prison raped like Notre Dame was in the National Title game. In 2020 a two loss (assuming we beat LSU) going to make the play off?

I do remember when annually we were in the conversation, but that stopped over a decade ago.... to pretend it stopped in 2020 is just kidding yourself.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah before the shoe we were really world beaters..... If the covid year had any defense played what-so-ever... would even be a statement. We had good but not great teams in 18 and 19 but we all knew we wouldn't be playing for anything. Were we really playing for anything after the 09 season? Even in 2020 the most die-hard fans knew that it was just a matter of time before the other shoe dropped. McElwain that shark fucher took us to two SEC championship games to get prison raped by Bama. Can you honestly say that we were really in the conversation as a National Title contender in the last almost 15 years. In 2012 we would have been prison raped like Notre Dame was in the National Title game. In 2020 a two loss (assuming we beat LSU) going to make the play off?

I do remember when annually we were in the conversation, but that stopped over a decade ago.... to pretend it stopped in 2020 is just kidding yourself.

2012 might be the most over romanticized season ever. Everyone knows if Reed doesn’t fumble down 8 late against uga, we automatically score, get the 2-points, stop them and score again to win that game. Then more than likely Alabama backs out of the SEC and NC title game to keep from being embarrassed by Driskel and Co. Jordan was our Scott Norwood.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Most of us knew we had an issue when our "detail oriented" coach wore a puke orange jacket to a presser.

If you follow me.
napier yellow jacket 2 (1).jpg

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
We kinda really are just a "Mississippi State" and it may be that it's just who we are and are going to be. We have fans who remember and demand more... that feeling again...but the odds are low it happens. Lightning in a bottle once in a while maybe, but middling otherwise.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Check out other boards and you'll find statements like "I'm a Billy guy", "I have total confidence in Billy", "Lets leave it to the professionals paid to know how to develop a program".

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Check out other boards and you'll find statements like "I'm a Billy guy", "I have total confidence in Billy", "Lets leave it to the professionals paid to know how to develop a program".

I’ve casually looked at ITG’s board(which reminds me of the two monotone female radio hosts SNL skit) and have seen a few of those. Same with SG. But generally the support is all but dried up. He wins this year or he’s a dead man walking in about 90% of the fans’ eyes. Those that do typically leaned on the notion that if he just hires an OC he’s good. Well he didn’t. So even that segment of the base is likely to be pretty upset if we don’t perform well this year.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I’ve casually looked at ITG’s board(which reminds me of the two monotone female radio hosts SNL skit) and have seen a few of those. Same with SG. But generally the support is all but dried up. He wins this year or he’s a dead man walking in about 90% of the fans’ eyes. Those that do typically leaned on the notion that if he just hires an OC he’s good. Well he didn’t. So even that segment of the base is likely to be pretty upset if we don’t perform well this year.

The tough schedule on paper has holes in it. How many of our 2024 opponents will have new QBs? At least 8 plus we have Samford. A couple of our opponents have new coaches. We have 7 home games plus Jax. There are opportunities.

He has either changed the culture or he hasn’t. The team either hates losing or loves their cushy lives more. If they aren’t fighting for each other and for him right now, then it will be painfully obvious in the fall.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The tough schedule on paper has holes in it. How many of our 2024 opponents will have new QBs? At least 8 plus we have Samford. A couple of our opponents have new coaches. We have 7 home games plus Jax. There are opportunities.

He has either changed the culture or he hasn’t. The team either hates losing or loves their cushy lives more. If they aren’t fighting for each other and for him right now, then it will be painfully obvious in the fall.

Oh I definitely agree that there are opportunities. It’s mostly names but still unknown commodities. With good coaching and a team that isn’t unraveling, we could win several of those penciled in losses. The question is going to be how much we’ve bought in and if these changes in staff are for the better. I don’t know the answer to that, but certainly don’t think UF should ever go into a season thinking they can’t beat OM, Mizzou, Ucf or even a Cristobal led um team or the vols. None of those teams would scare the UF teams we’ve fielded much of my lifetime. So it will absolutely be a referendum on Napier starting week one.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't see how next year will be any different. Same scheme and playcaller. The same guy is gonna let off the gas regardless of who we're playing. His coaching style and tendencies are what keeps games we should be winning close. The DC that Auburn just fired isn't going to change that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.