First time huntin’

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Gonna go hunting for the first time. Maybe doves. Wanna do hogs and alligators too. Getting a group of 4 together. Two of us have never done it. One of the experienced guys suggested Dove hunting cuz it’s more social. Less independent.
So I have a .30-06. Guess that would work on gators. I will have to get a shot gun for doves (and hogs I guess).
What say you?

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dove hunting is a lot of fun. Do you have a field lined up or are you going to do a paid hunt?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Dove hunting is a lot of fun. Do you have a field lined up or are you going to do a paid hunt?

No clue. Taking suggestions. Like I said on of the guys suggested Doves. Don’t know if he has a particular ranch he likes.
In any case I’ll need a shotgun. Don’t know anything about what choke I’ll need etc.

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No clue. Taking suggestions. Like I said on of the guys suggested Doves. Don’t know if he has a particular ranch he likes.
In any case I’ll need a shotgun. Don’t know anything about what choke I’ll need etc.

Modified choke is what I usually keep in my dove gun.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Be sure you know what kind of hog hunting you're doing. If its stand hunting your '06 will work perfectly. If its a dog hunt, you'll want something you can sight through quickly from close range. So, nothing with a scope. A shot gun would work, but so would an open sighted rifle.

For doves, I use a modified choke. I shoot 12 gauge 2 3/4" shells with 1oz or 1 1/8oz of #7 1/2 or #8 sized shot. If you are hunting them state side you will probably need to plug your gun so it only holds 3 shells total. (1 in the chamber and two in the magazine). They are migratory birds so you might need a special permit (HIP cert in North Carolina for example). I don't know if some places require a duck stamp or not for dove.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gonna go hunting for the first time. Maybe doves. Wanna do hogs and alligators too. Getting a group of 4 together. Two of us have never done it. One of the experienced guys suggested Dove hunting cuz it’s more social. Less independent.
So I have a .30-06. Guess that would work on gators. I will have to get a shot gun for doves (and hogs I guess).
What say you?
Don't be a pussy. There are a number of private hunt clubs here in Flawda where you can channel that cro magnon spirit of yours by hunting that wild boar or bull gator with a spear. Just you and him.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wanna do hogs
:rotfl: Who the hell are you kidding?...There isn't a guy on this board that hasn't done a little Sow spearing.Usually between the hours of 1-4AM works best and make sure you go to a remote and secluded spot where no one will see you...Heavy drinking prior is a requirement.....

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Be sure you know what kind of hog hunting you're doing. If its stand hunting your '06 will work perfectly. If its a dog hunt, you'll want something you can sight through quickly from close range. So, nothing with a scope. A shot gun would work, but so would an open sighted rifle.

For doves, I use a modified choke. I shoot 12 gauge 2 3/4" shells with 1oz or 1 1/8oz of #7 1/2 or #8 sized shot. If you are hunting them state side you will probably need to plug your gun so it only holds 3 shells total. (1 in the chamber and two in the magazine). They are migratory birds so you might need a special permit (HIP cert in North Carolina for example). I don't know if some places require a duck stamp or not for dove.

Yeah, I don't think I'd like sitting in a stand. Just drive me right up to the fcvker so i can blast him. I called a place in sfl (Outwest Farms) and they said they do the permits there. And I've already got my license. So what do you do with the doves you shoot? I don't want to eat dove. I know there is an organization (Hunters for Humanity?) that donate their kills to feed the homeless.
And thanks for the advice.
I suppose with doves that you'd want a semi-auto. Is it that difficult to use a pump action?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Don't be a pussy. There are a number of private hunt clubs here in Flawda where you can channel that cro magnon spirit of yours by hunting that wild boar or bull gator with a spear. Just you and him.
The dove hunter said he hunts hogs with a knife. F that, I want to shoot it. And the further away from an alligator the better.
I asked my ex-Marine Marine buddy who served in 'nam if he wanted to go. He said once you've hunted gooks, hogs ain't that fun. LOL

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
:rotfl: Who the hell are you kidding?...There isn't a guy on this board that hasn't done a little Sow spearing.Usually between the hours of 1-4AM works best and make sure you go to a remote and secluded spot where no one will see you...Heavy drinking prior is a requirement.....

LOL. Sad but true. I bagged 200 pounder in the keys one night. Drunk has hell, asked to use her bathroom, next thing I knew she was riding me like a bear on a tricycle.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Well...as for what you do with dove....you usually breast them out and soak em in salt water overnight. Then marinade in italian dressing, wrap in bacon and grill.

But if you aren't interested in keeping the birds, I would mention that to the folks who run the place and ask if they have anyone who would. Generally killing game and not keeping/eating/cleaning it is frowned upon.

Yes, if you're hunting wild dove, a semi auto will be easier. But they cost one hell of a lot more than a pump.

Regarding hog hunting from a truck, that can be illegal in some states. Legal in others if doing depradation. Either way you would probably need to be a decent shot as hogs will usually bolt when a truck comes into view, unless its hundreds of yards off. Have you considered what you're going to do with 80-150lbs of wild pork meat? Does the ranch process it for you or do you have to take it somewhere?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Where are you hunting the birds? Is it stateside? If so, are they domesticated doves that are put out for you, or are they wild migratory birds?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Those are all good questions. I can barely prepare a microwave dinner so as far as the birds I'll give them to whoever I'm hunting with. Really never ate a bird I like. Not even a big fan of chicken. The hog I'll keep as much as I can. I'll have to find out if the ranch will process it.
I haven't looked into dove hunting. Friend suggested it so I assume he has a preferred place.
Here's a video from the ranch in south Florida for hog hunting. Kinda long. They ride out in a swamp buggy then loose the dogs to pin the hog. Not as easy as it sounds though. I suppose if they pin in the open you can shoot from the buggy. Watching this I think I'd be better off with the .30-06. Wouldn't want to hit a dog with a loose pellet?

I'm really interested in the gator hunting. Would like to make a wallet, belt. Maybe purse for someone. And see if I can get boots made.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
You would probably be shooting a slug and not buckshot, so either one (rifle or shotgun) would work. I would worry about trying to sight through a scope in the brush like that. I would ask the outfitters and do what they suggest.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
This looks like one heck of a lot of fun....my luck I'd fall off and the bastards would eat me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator