Five against the field

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I know he is not real popular around here, but a couple of interesting things from Dooley's podcast yesterday:

1. He has in 2014 when the last search was going on someone close to the program told him that McElwain was out, the buyout at CSU was too high. That someone was Foley and clearly later they decide to work around it. Keep that in mind as rumors fly the next month, you can not have a better source than that and the source end up wrong or was planting disinformation.

2. Dooley also offered up his five against the field, Dooley did not put them in alphabetical order but I will, Campbell, Frost, Fuente, Mullen and Norvell. Which would you take those five or the field for the next UF coach? Or do you have a different five to take verses the field?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Remove Mullen from that list, and I think it's a pretty good list. I'd be thrilled with either Campbell, Frost, or Fuente, with Fuente being the most unlikely to come. If they can afford to hire Fuente, then they could afford to lure Franklin or Kelley too; although, I honestly would rather have Frost then Kelley. Norvell is a good backup if none of the previous names work out. Norvell is the most unproven, but I think his offense would do well in the SEC.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Remove Mullen from that list, and I think it's a pretty good list.

Dooley said he had him on there as a guy they would settle for on his list. He said, no offense to Mullen, but then said they would settle for. I did not want to lead with that. Dooley also said he is not discounting anyone.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dooley said he had him on there as a guy they would settle for on his list. He said, no offense to Mullen, but then said they would settle for. I did not want to lead with that. Dooley also said he is not discounting anyone.

If they have to settle for Mullen, then Stricklin doesn't know what he's doing. Both Frost and Norvell are better candidates that he could lure here.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
I am in the Charlie Strong camp, personally. He gets being a Gator, over 15 years on campus....knows the state...has been around the block a few times....Louisville, UT, USF....knows how to be a CEO....and knows how to put together a staff. Just because his background is defense, doesnt mean he doesnt know how to hire an OC...remember SOS gave him his first shot as a GA under the HBC so you know that he will pick the brain of the HBC....Frost is going to Nebraska.....I am all in on Charlie!!!

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I am in the Charlie Strong camp, personally. He gets being a Gator, over 15 years on campus....knows the state...has been around the block a few times....Louisville, UT, USF....knows how to be a CEO....and knows how to put together a staff. Just because his background is defense, doesnt mean he doesnt know how to hire an OC...remember SOS gave him his first shot as a GA under the HBC so you know that he will pick the brain of the HBC....Frost is going to Nebraska.....I am all in on Charlie!!!

Aint gonna happen.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Remove Mullen from that list, and I think it's a pretty good list. I'd be thrilled with either Campbell, Frost, or Fuente, with Fuente being the most unlikely to come. If they can afford to hire Fuente, then they could afford to lure Franklin or Kelley too; although, I honestly would rather have Frost then Kelley. Norvell is a good backup if none of the previous names work out. Norvell is the most unproven, but I think his offense would do well in the SEC.

I like this...and to your avatar, I'm currently Ron Swanson for Halloween...my wife hates it when I have a mustache:bananadance2:

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Sidenote: I struggle believing anything Dooley says. He's lived in Gville all these years and yet has no connections that have produced any breaking news stories for the Sun. Literally, they are last to ever report any breaking UF news.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I may need to rewatch it, but it seemed really clear to me that Strickland was clearly not a fan of Mullen. The one that seemed clear from his presser regarding who the future coach might be is that it wasn't Mullen. ...and I'm fine with that.

Here's my five against the field - Campbell, Frost, Fuente, Gundy and Norvell. I think Gundy would be happy to get out of there and is a known commodity which may or may not have an elite ceiling, but he has a pretty high floor. We may never reach consistent championship level, but we'd always be 10+ wins with him.

I hope it's Frost (though I'm not the most informed around all of college football).

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

No. Nope. I like Charlie as a person and I'm sure he's a great guy. He is not a great head coach and we can and will do better. #Sorryjako.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice. I was Ron Swanson for Halloween a few years ago. My wife also hated the mustache. :lol:

I went as Mac. I said I have not accepted the buyout and that I’m staying. It was the scariest costume of the night.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So this is my amateur take on this search.

Mullen - not going to happen. Neither side seems to want to make it happen. Quit beating a dead horse, but at least he doesn’t appear to be angling for a raise.

Strong - no thank you. Not a big fan. Good DC, but not quite as good as the god pedestal people put him on. Good at UL, but total bust at UT. Seems to have found a sweet spot at a 2nd tier conference.

Frost - my number one pick from what i’ve read and watched. Seems to have the coaching intangibles that Mac is looking for. If he takes the job, we’ll get our first look at how he assembles his staff. Will he fall into a loyalty trap? Some of his staff would surely be ready to take on a new challenge while some have maxed out. I think Frost is exactly what Stricklin described what he was looking for.

Fuentes - 2nd pick mainly because I don’t know how attainable he really is. Call him 1b if you’d like. Has done nice things at VaTech. Probably the safest hire, if you could land him.

Norvell/Campbell - these are the Foley pool of coaches. I think they’d both be massive upgrades, but we have a low bar right now. So it is what it is.

Taggart - great recruiting with something like a .500 record. No thanks.

Kelly - surprisingly, I think we’d have a shot if we went after him. I think the show cause has an effect because of other issues like his perceived lack of passion for college ball, personality, etc. Don’t think we go this route.

Gruden, Quinn, etc. - there are just a lot of good coaches that may get a call that’ll have no interest. I wish Quinn did, but I don’t think he would.

Then the Kiffin, Petrino, etc. - just no

If we land just about anyone else, we got turned down a lot. Brohm might not be so bad, but he still needs to prove something at Purdue first.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
So this is my amateur take on this search.

Mullen - not going to happen. Neither side seems to want to make it happen. Quit beating a dead horse, but at least he doesn’t appear to be angling for a raise.

Strong - no thank you. Not a big fan. Good DC, but not quite as good as the god pedestal people put him on. Good at UL, but total bust at UT. Seems to have found a sweet spot at a 2nd tier conference.

Frost - my number one pick from what i’ve read and watched. Seems to have the coaching intangibles that Mac is looking for. If he takes the job, we’ll get our first look at how he assembles his staff. Will he fall into a loyalty trap? Some of his staff would surely be ready to take on a new challenge while some have maxed out. I think Frost is exactly what Stricklin described what he was looking for.

Fuentes - 2nd pick mainly because I don’t know how attainable he really is. Call him 1b if you’d like. Has done nice things at VaTech. Probably the safest hire, if you could land him.

Norvell/Campbell - these are the Foley pool of coaches. I think they’d both be massive upgrades, but we have a low bar right now. So it is what it is.

Taggart - great recruiting with something like a .500 record. No thanks.

Kelly - surprisingly, I think we’d have a shot if we went after him. I think the show cause has an effect because of other issues like his perceived lack of passion for college ball, personality, etc. Don’t think we go this route.

Gruden, Quinn, etc. - there are just a lot of good coaches that may get a call that’ll have no interest. I wish Quinn did, but I don’t think he would.

Then the Kiffin, Petrino, etc. - just no

If we land just about anyone else, we got turned down a lot. Brohm might not be so bad, but he still needs to prove something at Purdue first.

Pretty much where I am...but I really hope that we don't care what Mac is looking for....;) Just messing with you

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

As far as I know neither of these guys worked for Saban. Certainly Norvell is offensive minded and Campbell is to a certain extent. So no they are not the Foley pool of coaches this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.