Florida Gators coach Jim McElwain’s decisions against UMass reveal coaching acumen

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I like coach Mac. I don't think he's the second coming of Saban but I think that our program will return to being elite and feared under him.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
He's going for it on 4th down because it isn't 4th and 27 most of the time like it was under the previous regime.

I do like the fact that he's not afraid to go for it on 4th down, that's how you show your team you're confident in them.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like his aggressiveness. At least he's attempting to get more than 30.
I'm just impressed he's attempting to win by scoring more points than the opponent, not keeping the team to scoring less.

That made more sense in my mind.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Fun with numbers! We still barely beat the worst team in all of college football and need to recruit better players.

I'm a fan of coach Mac's scheme offensively.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I'm just impressed he's attempting to win by scoring more points than the opponent, not keeping the team to scoring less.

That made more sense in my mind.
I get what you mean. It helps that Muschamp was our coach for 4 years.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So.... we gonna hope future recruits really, really respect acumen.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Half way through the 2nd quarter and we are tied with the worst team in FBS from the year before, a team we should have been beating by at least 2 TD's at the point. My coaching acumen says an SEC oline should be able to get a 1 yard push against a vocational school.

I did like that the article pointed out that he goes for it on 4th down a fairly decent amount of times. But the article didn't say whether it was out of necessity, like against TN last year.

He did a decent job at his last stop, showing progress each year. Jury is still out here obviously due to the time frame. Record wise, highly doubtful he can improve on that, performance wise is what we need to see improvement on.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Geez, I'm trying to enjoy the excitement of a new season, all this disheartened analysis on game 1... my plan is to stay off the ledge unless there's no improvement by the end of that checkerboard game.
:thumbup:

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
Fun with numbers! We still barely beat the worst team in all of college football and need to recruit better players.

I'm a fan of coach Mac's scheme offensively.

Yes they were last year but I don't think they will be this year. In contrast the defending national champions are rarely the best team the following year.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Yes they were last year but I don't think they will be this year. In contrast the defending national champions are rarely the best team the following year.
Except this year since week 1 seems to be the measure, til next week

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think going for it on 4th & 1 was the right decision but the second time they made the wrong play call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.