Florida victorious interview on Shane Matthews podcast

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I realize the investment in other sports is a major complaint of some, many, on this board. And football has been languishing the last 14 years. But to me the football issues have been around decisions on football facilities and HC hires. We could and should have built facilities (and staff) like we now have 15 years ago and upgraded them since.

For me, it isnt so much a complaint that spend on other sports occurs, it is how it is prioritized. It is also people saying (or implying) who cares if we are football losers bc we have a good gymnastics and baseball team. The football team has been a four alarm fire for 1 1/2 decades with no end in sight and we keep responding with incrementalism, while the fire rages even larger.

Im afraid we arent at the bottom yet. And if more people finally give up on football, there may not he enough money left to recover. Ive seen this happen before with other teams.

The Cincinnati Reds used to dominate in MLB. They had one of the largest budgets and most talented teams. They were expected to be pennant contenders every year. However after they got a new general manager who believed he could win on a tiny budget, they became been hilariously inept. Now there are entire generations in their footprint who just don't care about that perennial loser team. Once you lose the fans it's not easy to get them back.

Cal and USC used to be a huge game. Lolol... it's hard to imagine now isn't it? I think that's the path we're on. Cal is the flagship in a top 3 talent state, and yet... they might as well be San Diego State G5 team.

Other sports are fine. I love the chess of football but dont really know the other sports other than baseball enough to be an educated observer. I dont have time for baseball and cant get intererted in a sport with so many one and dones regardless.

In reality Id like to see UF dominate everything. My blood runs orange and blue. However, we need to have our focus on the bread and butter program first. Only two programs make a "profit" and one of them barely does. Dont buy the bull**** from UAA. They play games with revenue and presume that an equal amount of the tshirts and UAA donations should be credited to volleyball as football.

Remember when Kansas was worried the Big 12 was potentially going away and no one wanted Kansas? It is because they dont make football money. However, even UK and Kansas make more money on football than bouncey ball.

There is no future at UF without a strong football program. Florida kids today did not grow up watching UF football. It is too damn embarrassing for anyone but us zealots.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The UAA states their strategic purpose as:

To provide a championship experience with integrity on and off the field for the student athlete and the Gator nation.

I realize that this is a typical word salad that government agency type of groups like to create but it does include that dirty word championship in it and maybe you are experiencing it but I am not so the problem must be with me.
I saw a pic of Stricklin, Fooley and Billy at the SEC championsip game. No idea if they were rooting for Ugly or Bammer. I know Billy was torn.

That was a championship experience.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The UAA states their strategic purpose as:

To provide a championship experience with integrity on and off the field for the student athlete and the Gator nation.

I realize that this is a typical word salad that government agency type of groups like to create but it does include that dirty word championship in it and maybe you are experiencing it but I am not so the problem must be with me.

Not a problem. You’re looking at it from a clear perspective. Whats important?

Yes, I’m glad for the other sports, always glad when we do well at anything. But football is job #1 and we’ve been floundering way too long. I (we) wouldn’t be here except for football. Football not only drives the UAA budget. It drives alumni giving to the university and brand recognition for admissions and everything else it does. I chose UF in large part because I had been a fan since childhood.

It’s like the band. I love the band, especially the drum line, they get me fired up. But no one is there to see the band if the football team doesn’t draw them.

The frustration is the UAA short-changed football for a critical period AND has had successive implosions of head football coaches. They didn’t feed the golden goose enough and hired inadequate caretakers.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
For me, it isnt so much a complaint that spend on other sports occurs, it is how it is prioritized. It is also people saying (or implying) who cares if we are football losers bc we have a good gymnastics and baseball team. The football team has been a four alarm fire for 1 1/2 decades with no end in sight and we keep responding with incrementalism, while the fire rages even larger.

Im afraid we arent at the bottom yet. And if more people finally give up on football, there may not he enough money left to recover. Ive seen this happen before with other teams.

The Cincinnati Reds used to dominate in MLB. They had one of the largest budgets and most talented teams. They were expected to be pennant contenders every year. However after they got a new general manager who believed he could win on a tiny budget, they became been hilariously inept. Now there are entire generations in their footprint who just don't care about that perennial loser team. Once you lose the fans it's not easy to get them back.

Cal and USC used to be a huge game. Lolol... it's hard to imagine now isn't it? I think that's the path we're on. Cal is the flagship in a top 3 talent state, and yet... they might as well be San Diego State G5 team.

Other sports are fine. I love the chess of football but dont really know the other sports other than baseball enough to be an educated observer. I dont have time for baseball and cant get intererted in a sport with so many one and dones regardless.

In reality Id like to see UF dominate everything. My blood runs orange and blue. However, we need to have our focus on the bread and butter program first. Only two programs make a "profit" and one of them barely does. Dont buy the bull**** from UAA. They play games with revenue and presume that an equal amount of the tshirts and UAA donations should be credited to volleyball as football.

Remember when Kansas was worried the Big 12 was potentially going away and no one wanted Kansas? It is because they dont make football money. However, even UK and Kansas make more money on football than bouncey ball.

There is no future at UF without a strong football program. Florida kids today did not grow up watching UF football. It is too damn embarrassing for anyone but us zealots.
Exactly.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Go Ahead Yes GIF
Hey at least that guy knows where the decimal is supposed to go....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No, I can see exactly how you took it. That’s 100% on you. What I would lay out for you would be 100% generic, but you would 100% take it personally. You already have. That’s 100% on you.
Oh boy, you really did it this time didn't you.... you arrogant c vnt....:rotfl:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Ever? Clearly you’ve not read some of my posts in the dinner thread (such as how to make an excellent balsamic vinegar/maple syrup reduction sauce) or any of my posts giving thorough reviews in the wine thread. Try to do better.
vinegar/maple syrup reduction sauce?
Boat Poop GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator