Foley, days from retirement, blasts UF’s top lawyer

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Can someone give me a TL;DR? Too much lawyer drama for me to read.
UF Counsel Keith is on admin leave pending some bar investigation. It doesn't say why.

The Huntley Johnson thing is a throwaway. He says they altered or didn't give him all records, of something. Who knows. The author then speculates it is about Callaway. It implies but doesn't say this might be the bar complaint.

Fooley was mad they didn't hire a female (his AD for paperwork, Tealer, an attorney) and the UF chief counsel hired an assistant who failed the bar (the first time). I suppose this could also be the bar complaint. Fooley is a bytch and isn't above this.

Hopefully this can be an impetus to remove all the rest of the leftover Fooley types who are still running the athletic department. We desperately need drastic change.

BTW, Fooley is likely wrong on the merits. He seems to think if you didn't hire a minority that you didn't meet diversity requirements. There is also nothing wrong with hiring an attorney that hasn't passed the bar, they just can't go to court or represent clients until they do. Large firms and govt entities do this all the time.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, Fooley is likely wrong on the merits. He seems to think if you didn't hire a minority that you didn't meet diversity requirements. There is also nothing wrong with hiring an attorney that hasn't passed the bar, they just can't go to court or represent clients until they do. Large firms and govt entities do this all the time.

I know Foley was mad his chosen one didn't get the position probably but I took his e-mails to be him just calling her out as a liar for saying diversity was really a consideration since only experienced athletic directors were considered. I am wondering if he was implying none of them were female or that all six were white males and she shouldn't have wrote that. Or maybe he knew from discussions that diversity wasn't a consideration just experience mostly.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know Foley was mad his chosen one didn't get the position probably but I took his e-mails to be him just calling her out as a liar for saying diversity was really a consideration since only experienced athletic directors were considered. I am wondering if he was implying none of them were female or that all six were white males and she shouldn't have wrote that. Or maybe he knew from discussions that diversity wasn't a consideration just experience mostly.
Though many entities have instituted a separate diversity committee and automatic interviewing of at least one candidate in an attempt to overcome innate biases, you don't even have to interview minorities in order to fulfill the diversity considerations. You can give the minority resumes a second review to ensure you aren't overlooking qualified candidates and fulfill the diversity consideration goals.

Fooley is just a vagina. Maybe that counts.

I'm sure Fuchs isn't amused at this. Hopefully he encourages Fooley to get out of the building.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am curious what position Gershman held before getting that 200k position as deputy counsel without passing the FL exam yet? Did she even have a decent level position out of state?

This is my question as well.

My son the public defender, who passed the Florida Bar the first time he took it, makes way less than half that salary. Clearly he is going about this all wrong which is my fault. I taught him to work hard and keep his nose clean. I will call him tonight and apologize for misleading him

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

My son the public defender, who passed the Florida Bar the first time he took it, makes way less than half that salary. Clearly he is going about this all wrong which is my fault. I taught him to work hard and keep his nose clean. I will call him tonight and apologize for misleading him

It appears she had a pretty good job actually up North and is using that experience for a practice now. I would like to know what led her to leave her former job and head down here unless it was just the cost of living being a lot lower and then she got caught up in this pissing match and decided it was best just to head back north. Or maybe it was as simple as her and that head attorney being friends I guess and she decided to take the position.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why can't she and the Gersham chick just be fired? Are they tenured?

This reeks of cronyism and "diversity" assurance measures. Fire them and hire someone competent - be they black, white, green or grey and whether they're male or female. This is an embarrassment to our university.

:disgust:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It appears she had a pretty good job actually up North and is using that experience for a practice now. I would like to know what led her to leave her former job and head down here unless it was just the cost of living being a lot lower and then she got caught up in this pissing match and decided it was best just to head back north. Or maybe it was as simple as her and that head attorney being friends I guess and she decided to take the position.

That would be my guess.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Why can't she and the Gersham chick just be fired? Are they tenured?

This reeks of cronyism and "diversity" assurance measures. Fire them and hire someone competent - be they black, white, green or grey and whether they're male or female. This is an embarrassment to our university.

:disgust:
:trump:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Jamie Lewis Keith is Vice President, General Counsel and University Secretary of the University of Florida, one of the largest public AAU research and land-grant universities in the U.S., with over 30 tax-exempt private affiliates. Prior to UF, Ms. Keith was Senior Counsel for Massachusetts Institute of Technology (creating and leading MIT’s first primary counsel’s office), the General Counsel and Assistant Commissioner of the Massachusetts capital assets agency in Governor William F. Weld’s administration, and a junior partner in the Boston law firm, Hale and Dorr (now Wilmer Hale). Ms. Keith works nationally on diversity and research policy. She is a long-serving member of the College Board’s Diversity Collaborative Advisory Group and of the Advisory Board of the Center for Advancing Science and Engineering Capacity at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). She is one of 10 general counsels who are members of the Legal Advisory Committee for the Association of American Universities (AAU), a member of AAU's Biomedical Research Policy Working Group, and a former board member of the Council on Governmental Relations which works closely with AAU and advises research universities and affiliated academic health centers on research policy, regulation, funding and contracting.

From 2008-2012, Ms. Keith, with AAAS colleagues, conceived and co-directed AAAS’ nation-wide Diversity and the Law Project, funded by the National Science Foundation and the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, to provide policy and law guidance and tools on what can be done through partnerships of academic policymakers and lawyers to increase access to higher education and academic careers, expand the diversity of faculties and student bodies, and foster excellence in education, research and service in a global society. The project, including Ms. Keith, AAAS colleagues and outside counsel, has published extensive resource materials and tools, and hosted a series of workshops for provosts, other senior policymakers and general counsels. In addition to AAU, institutions participating in this AAAS Project include the American Association of Community Colleges, American Council on Education, Association of American Medical Colleges, Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities, College Board, Institute for Higher Education Policy, National Association of College and University Attorneys, and Thurgood Marshall College Fund.

Ms. Keith is a graduate of Cornell University, College of Arts and Sciences, where she studied art history, focusing on Asian art and Chinese language, and Boston University School of Law, where she was an Article Editor of the Law Review. She clerked for the Honorable Bailey Aldrich on The United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. Ms. Keith is admitted to the Florida and Massachusetts Bars.

She's a big proponent of the D.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Look, it isn't easy to get a job at Jones Day. Few Gators get that opportunity. Hell, few Ivy Leaguers do.

Once you get there, it's a sweatmill. They work the piss out of you for 4-5 years, like one or two days off a month is probably a good month, then start canning people. Classic pyramid scheme. There are four or five associates for every senior associate, maybe the same for or five senior associates for every partner. Most firms have several levels of partners. Few make it through the gauntlet. Often the ones that do have an influential relative. Rain is more important than brain or pain (hours). Regardless, it looks good on the resume. Remember that huge salary in NYC doesn't go as far.

As for the legal industry, someone who knows their way around court is always valuable. Anyone can hire a bunch of "litigators" who file two years' worth of motions and discovery requests but would lock up with fear if they actually had to approach a courtroom.

It's also true that so much of the law can be outsourced either to different professions, paralegals, even software programs, but things like trial attorneys cannot.

It's a tough road, but personally I'd rather be in court than be at Jones Day. It doesn't matter much, I never had the option. :lmao2:

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why can't she and the Gersham chick just be fired?
It's really not clear to me that the general counsel has done anything wrong, at least not from that article. Filing a bar complaint is as easy as typing up the form.

Id take her understanding of diversity policy over Fooley The Popcorn Saleman's understanding any day. He is just an angry dude who didn't get the woman he wanted to replace him.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Please Fooley, get the EFF out. Just leave. You have overstayed and it won;t even be safe to go into that place in hazmat suits to fumigate it. Just burn the damn place down!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator